Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drury Panthers

It's a good thing us small-towners don't have to compete with people wanting to watch Purdue or IU on those newfangled fancy moving picture boxes. The only thing to do on the weekend is go watch your local D2 basketball team play!

Comment

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
      It's a good thing us small-towners don't have to compete with people wanting to watch Purdue or IU on those newfangled fancy moving picture boxes. The only thing to do on the weekend is go watch your local D2 basketball team play!
      No one said Evansville is a progressive town. I always thought going to watch UIndy play USI in that arena down there in Evansville was fun, they had a lot of support back then (1997-2002 my undergrad years at UIndy). Pearl left and so did the support, at least it sounds like. BTW: I looked it up, Evansville population is only 120,310. Indianapolis is over 900,000. Case closed.

Comment

Originally posted by DUFan View Post
        Small town? Springfield's MSA is over 360,000. That's a small town? Now Rensselaer or Rolla I get but Springfield?
        According to the latest census, Springfield Mo. population is 164,122. You're off by about 200,000 folks. Maybe they were hiding from tornadoes when they took the last census.

Comment

The numbers we both quoted are MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Areas), which factor in population outside of the city limits but identify with the city. Go look it up, Evansville is currently about 314,000 while Indy is about 1.7 million.

But don't take this hillbilly's word. Go use your big-city education to figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
            The numbers we both quoted are MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Areas), which factor in population outside of the city limits but identify with the city. Go look it up, Evansville is currently about 314,000 while Indy is about 1.7 million.

But don't take this hillbilly's word. Go use your big-city education to figure it out.
            I see you don't want to just include the actual Evansville population...well, Indianapolis has about 2 million by your MSA stats. That means we're about 5-6 times bigger. BTW, I live in Detroit now, so that is also a lot bigger than Evansville.

Comment

Anyone want to talk about Drury basketball? It seems this thread is off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by UIndyGradyGreyhound View Post
                I see you don't want to just include the actual Evansville population...well, Indianapolis has about 2 million by your MSA stats. That means we're about 5-6 times bigger. BTW, I live in Detroit now, so that is also a lot bigger than Evansville.
                Who cares? Most of the population is outside of the city limits as they are just an arbitrary line. I live about a mile outside of the city limits but still consider myself an Evansville native. I'm not sure what your point is. I just know that you think anything under the size of Indy is a "small city" and has a distinct advantage because in the big cities they watch TV.

Comment

Anyone want to talk about Drury basketball? It seems this thread is off topic.
                  And based on your posts, you have no interest in talking Drury basketball either. We've drifted off topic because of you.

Comment

Winning big helps, no doubt. But when I was a student at UIndy back in the early 2000s, we went to a game at Bellarmine and there was about 200 people in the stands. And most of them left after the women's game.
                    I was one of the 200 and was on a first name basis with the other 199

Comment

Originally posted by BUFAN View Post
                      I was one of the 200 and was on a first name basis with the other 199
                      Heh, ditto. That post-Valvano/pre-Davenport era was brutal on the court and in the stands.

Would be interesting to see the attendance numbers. Don't think they actually dipped quite that low, but I do recall being ticked off when looking around at the "throng" of 500 or so.

Comment

According to the latest census, Springfield Mo. population is 164,122. You're off by about 200,000 folks. Maybe they were hiding from tornadoes when they took the last census.
                        I guess it was a little much to assume you knew what a Metropolitan Statistical Area entailed. Yes Springfield is 160k, Greene County is 250k and the 3 county MSA is a little over 360k.

Comment

Drury steamrolled Missouri Southern in the second half today. Good weekend for the Panthers over a couple MIAA foes. Getting freshman Kamau Kinder back from injury made a difference.

Comment

Like how deep this team is ... Defense has been turned up since last year!

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
                              Drury steamrolled Missouri Southern in the second half today. Good weekend for the Panthers over a couple MIAA foes. Getting freshman Kamau Kinder back from injury made a difference.
                              Southern, now 8-2 and a top 10 PI team, lost their only two of the season thus far at the Drury two game classic. Was disappointing how we played, but Drury had a lot to do with that. For Southern, they didn't have a 6'8" starter for either game but it wouldn't have mattered. Shooting a school record 42 treys in one game was where the fault is. The Lions are working again at a much more balanced attack. I expect Drury is going to continue with a big season and I believe the Lions from MSSU will also make it to the dance this year.

Beautiful facility at Drury!

Comment

Kudos to Boschee for renewing the series. Corn refused to schedule us. When I was in school in the early 70s we had a great rivalry with MSSU. Being only 70 miles apart it was a natural. Hope the series continues.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X