Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UW-Parkside banned from post-season 2017-18

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
    Would someone who knows tell us what they actually did?
    It's in the article on the GLVC and Parkside website. Numerous secondary violations that led to ineligible players competing in 11 of their 13 sports. Doesn't sound intentional (if it is NCAA will pile on later ). If not, must've been their compliance guy didn't know what the he** he was doing.

Comment

The article on the UWP site is emphatic that they were only secondary violations that the NCAA already investigated. It sounds like UWP thinks the NCAA has already done their investigation and was giving no sanctions of its own. The sanctions are from the GLVC, not the NCAA. The violations occurred in 11 of the 13 sports teams which tells me that UWP needs a new compliance officer even if they were only minor violations.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
        The article on the UWP site is emphatic that they were only secondary violations that the NCAA already investigated. It sounds like UWP thinks the NCAA has already done their investigation and was giving no sanctions of its own. The sanctions are from the GLVC, not the NCAA. The violations occurred in 11 of the 13 sports teams which tells me that UWP needs a new compliance officer even if they were only minor violations.
        Too many sports at a school with small budget. The compliance guy full time gig is probably something else. Jimnaum mad they going to gliac next year.

Comment

From what I read the NCAA has not even begun investigating. How hard is it to know when a basketball player has played five years of college basketball? How hard is it when you have a D2 wrestler who is ranked 2nd in his weight class nationally, but says he couldn't afford to attend full time? Read the very First link on this thread and read the links from the article.
          Last edited by alumnifan; 08-23-2017, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
            From what I read the NCAA has not even begun investigating. How hard is it to know when a basketball player has played five years of college basketball? How hard is it when you have a D2 wrestler who is ranked 2nd in his weight class nationally, but says he couldn't afford to attend full time? Read the very First link on this thread and read the links from the article.
            I posted the article - I have read it.

When you're talking about a high school kid that has been at your school his entire career it shouldn't be difficult. But some of that stuff can get complicated when you're talking about a transfer student. I know of basketball players that have come into the GLVC and they're on their 3rd of 4th school. Accurately determining eligibility can require tracking down information from multiple sources and then having a good enough understanding of NCAA rules to be able to apply it all correctly. That's what compliance people are for...I notice that the UWP athletics website doesn't list a compliance person. Either they didn't have one full time (which I thought was a requirement in D2) or he/she has already been shown the door.

Also, the wrestler who couldn't afford to attend full time, the NCAA said was legit. It says right in the article timeline the NCAA approved a financial hardship waiver for that.

I do think it's a crock that the league made the ban department wide. There are two programs there who had no violations who now can't compete in the post-season. That would be pretty hard to swallow if I was one of those coaches or athletes in those programs.

Comment

Penalties seem awfully harsh for the alleged "crimes".

Comment

It appears that Parkside's seniors are free to transfer within the conference without sitting. Kendale McCullum's high school coach is looking.

Comment

According to their roster, they already had a couple of defections by underclassmen from last year. May be a tough season for them. It's a shame because they had come so far in building a competitive program.

Comment

They'll get over it. It is the job of every coach to know the academic transcripts, current academic status, and eligibility status of all their student athletes. Why did UWP allow a possible national weight class champion candidate not attend full time? How hard would it be for UWP to give the young man three hours of tuition? I don't blame the student athlete. That's why he got a hardship clause. Wonderful! However, this is total negligence on behalf of the UWP athletic department.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                      They'll get over it. It is the job of every coach to know the academic transcripts, current academic status, and eligibility status of all their student athletes. Why did UWP allow a possible national weight class champion candidate not attend full time? How hard would it be for UWP to give the young man three hours of tuition? I don't blame the student athlete. That's why he got a hardship clause. Wonderful! However, this is total negligence on behalf of the UWP athletic department.
                      You are referencing a situation for which UW-P was not penalized. Frankly, I still don't know specifically what violations the men's basketball team committed. All I know is that all the violations were considered secondary and not intentional. Post season ban for the entire athletic deparment seems pretty severe. If this were a major D1 program it would be as severe a penalty, short of the death penalty, that I can remember. Of course for D2, there is not the amount of money involved (in fact, UW-P will actually save money)

Comment

The men's basketball program was found to have no violations, both in the NCAA's independent investigation and in the GLVC's audit, so yes, it's absurd they were penalized one bit.

The university had a terrible AD and back-to-back incompetent compliance directors. They've gotten rid of them and are now in better shape, but this year will be rough.

FYI, for whoever is pinning this on the coaches, clearly you have no clue how compliance works and what the job of a compliance officer is. These were all minor violations caused by incompetence. Literally, in some cases, boxes were not checked for issues such as amateurism, etc. Incredibly simple stuff. ANY coach tells their athletes to consult with compliance on that. They have other things to worry about. There was nothing intentional at all, just basically 3 incompetent people previously in the administration who screwed everyone, and now the coaches and athletes have to pay for it.

For reference, a compliance director is similar to HR at a company. If you're the worker (player), you don't ask your manager (coach) about how to go about signing up for health insurance during open enrollment. If your HR person is an idiot and you miss out on getting health insurance, that's not your manager's fault. That's kind of what happened here.

If any program at the ground level deserves some blame, maybe wrestling. But this being a basketball message board, I can say the hoops teams was just totally railroaded this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                          According to their roster, they already had a couple of defections by underclassmen from last year. May be a tough season for them. It's a shame because they had come so far in building a competitive program.
                          Just FYI, none of those were related to this situation. I believe most of those transfers were unsurprising, playing-time related, etc. Usual DII stuff.

Comment

We know there were multiple violations. The GLVC levied the NCAA post season ban. UWP's external audit will go back several seasons. Let's see how it shakes out from there.

Comment

Originally posted by KNews View Post
                              Just FYI, none of those were related to this situation. I believe most of those transfers were unsurprising, playing-time related, etc. Usual DII stuff.
                              Kendale McCullum to Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by KNews View Post
                                The men's basketball program was found to have no violations, both in the NCAA's independent investigation and in the GLVC's audit, so yes, it's absurd they were penalized one bit.

The university had a terrible AD and back-to-back incompetent compliance directors. They've gotten rid of them and are now in better shape, but this year will be rough.

FYI, for whoever is pinning this on the coaches, clearly you have no clue how compliance works and what the job of a compliance officer is. These were all minor violations caused by incompetence. Literally, in some cases, boxes were not checked for issues such as amateurism, etc. Incredibly simple stuff. ANY coach tells their athletes to consult with compliance on that. They have other things to worry about. There was nothing intentional at all, just basically 3 incompetent people previously in the administration who screwed everyone, and now the coaches and athletes have to pay for it.

For reference, a compliance director is similar to HR at a company. If you're the worker (player), you don't ask your manager (coach) about how to go about signing up for health insurance during open enrollment. If your HR person is an idiot and you miss out on getting health insurance, that's not your manager's fault. That's kind of what happened here.

If any program at the ground level deserves some blame, maybe wrestling. But this being a basketball message board, I can say the hoops teams was just totally railroaded this season.
                                So, the UWP Coaching Staff and Athletic Administration could care less whether their players are eligible or going to class. They started with 16 NCAA violations. How the heck can a Head Wrestling Coach with a wrestler competing for a National Weight Class Title not know the young man could not afford 12 hours and only take 9? The Registrar's office had to know about it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X