Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UIndy 94, Ky. State 83

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
    And I forgot to say it, but the sentence you quoted me on about Drury's women outdrawing most GLVC men's programs is 100% true. I've been to almost every gym in this league, and many multiple times, watching basketball. The only men's programs in the league that consistently outdraw Drury's women are Bellarmine, Drury's men, and (sometimes) USI.
    I had no intention of getting involved in this discussion until you brought up USI. I've been to Drury at both the old gym and the new facility when USI has played there, and the attendance has always been so-so. One time the men's game was about 3/4 full, the women's game maybe half. I do recall seeing the listed attendance and thought to myself they are trying to promote themselves as having great crowds because they are in the same city with a minor Division I program in Missouri State. I do agree with you about Indianapolis and their attendance problems, we were there several weeks ago when USI played in a tournament at Nicoson Hall. The UIndy games drew about 200 or 300 at best. To their credit, Indy only put down how many people were in the stands. It's very deceptive when schools like Drury put down 2,000 when there are only 800 or so in the crowd. I think that is what Tyler Madson is saying.

Comment

Originally posted by UIndyGradyGreyhound View Post
      And here is the coach after Harold getting the pink slip. Love the spin job by Drury, worst cover up effort I ever saw.
      http://www.news-leader.com/story/spo...signs/8095713/
      I find this newspaper story rather alarming. I had never heard this. I do not follow women's basketball closely, but I had never been made aware of this situation. Why was this coach let go? I'd like to hear some elaboration.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
        Maybe UIndy should just drop to D3 if they are in such terrible shape.
        Coming from the kings of D-3 sports, I'm sure Gravy is delighted to hear this from KWC people. lol!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EaglesPride View Post
          I had no intention of getting involved in this discussion until you brought up USI. I've been to Drury at both the old gym and the new facility when USI has played there, and the attendance has always been so-so. One time the men's game was about 3/4 full, the women's game maybe half. I do recall seeing the listed attendance and thought to myself they are trying to promote themselves as having great crowds because they are in the same city with a minor Division I program in Missouri State. I do agree with you about Indianapolis and their attendance problems, we were there several weeks ago when USI played in a tournament at Nicoson Hall. The UIndy games drew about 200 or 300 at best. To their credit, Indy only put down how many people were in the stands. It's very deceptive when schools like Drury put down 2,000 when there are only 800 or so in the crowd. I think that is what Tyler Madson is saying.
          I know exactly what he's saying. There's never been a game held at Drury were the listed attendance is 2,000 and it's been 800.

Like I said, the arena holds 3,000 people. If you were at a men's game and the building was 2/3 full that's over 1,900 people. If you were at a women's game were it was half full, that's 1,500 people. Both of those numbers are close to what both programs average for attendance. That may be "so,so" attendance to you, but both those figures would lead the league in attendance. And, not trying to say there's anything wrong with it, but both numbers are higher than what the USI men averaged last year. So what do you disagreee with?

Comment

Originally posted by EaglesPride View Post
            I find this newspaper story rather alarming. I had never heard this. I do not follow women's basketball closely, but I had never been made aware of this situation. Why was this coach let go? I'd like to hear some elaboration.
            Huber criticized the officiating in public remarks after a GLVC tournament game. The league fined him for it and he got ticked that the school agreed with the league instead of backing him. He had a blow up with administration over it, they suspended him, then he resigned.

Scandalous I know...a coach criticized officiating. HOW DO THEY LET THIS PROGRAM CONTINUE?
            Last edited by DUPanther; 12-01-2016, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Have you ever even been to a basketball game at Drury?
              Let's pump the brakes a little bit. I was very forthcoming when I started writing a football column for D2Football this year that I had spent the past eight years at Truman in the SID office. My only comment with this is that - in my years in the SID field - I saw countless numbers of "attendance figures" that are no more than the SID looking around from his/her computer at the end of the game and going "eh, looks like 350" and running with it. While Drury might have state-of-the-art ticket software (I have no idea, the only time I've been I was credentialed and didn't purchase a true ticket -- so, cough, yes, I have been to the OFEC), most D2 schools don't and they rely on student workers sitting at a table or in a ticket box selling to people as they walk in. So I just tend to chuckle a bit when folks likely not even involved with the way that works behind the scenes use attendance figures as a "we're better than you" argument because in all likelihood, it's a number that an SID/AD/Asst AD walked by and gave an estimate to input.

I will state it again since you think I'm trying to pick a fight about the DU programs -- there is absolutely no doubt that Drury pours its heart and soul into its basketball programs. They are both perennially one of the teams to beat in the West. I have no comments about why the men's coach hasn't been COY, why the last women's coach got let go (he did seem a bit... excitable... and Coach Miller is doing a phenomenal job), or anything else that's been going on this thread. Olive branch, extended.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Madsen View Post
                Let's pump the brakes a little bit. I was very forthcoming when I started writing a football column for D2Football this year that I had spent the past eight years at Truman in the SID office. My only comment with this is that - in my years in the SID field - I saw countless numbers of "attendance figures" that are no more than the SID looking around from his/her computer at the end of the game and going "eh, looks like 350" and running with it. While Drury might have state-of-the-art ticket software (I have no idea, the only time I've been I was credentialed and didn't purchase a true ticket -- so, cough, yes, I have been to the OFEC), most D2 schools don't and they rely on student workers sitting at a table or in a ticket box selling to people as they walk in. So I just tend to chuckle a bit when folks likely not even involved with the way that works behind the scenes use attendance figures as a "we're better than you" argument because in all likelihood, it's a number that an SID/AD/Asst AD walked by and gave an estimate to input.

I will state it again since you think I'm trying to pick a fight about the DU programs -- there is absolutely no doubt that Drury pours its heart and soul into its basketball programs. They are both perennially one of the teams to beat in the West. I have no comments about why the men's coach hasn't been COY, why the last women's coach got let go (he did seem a bit... excitable... and Coach Miller is doing a phenomenal job), or anything else that's been going on this thread. Olive branch, extended.
                Whoa there...I've got nothing against you personally and I don't think you're picking a fight, I just know you're wrong.

Drury does electronically track tickets sold and scans them at the door. Like I said, they count tickets sold which I'm sure varies from butts in the seats because at Drury you've got 400+ season tickets sold plus whatever promotion they might be doing that night. But they don't just walk in, guess 2,000 and go with it.

A 1/3 full building might sound like a weak crowd, but when it holds 3,000 even that 1,000 people is already more than every other women's program in the league draws - and all but a few of the men.

So, since you admit you don't really know how Drury does things - what are you basing your observation about the crowd at Drury on?

Or I guess maybe the better question is this....to someone whose been around the league - what programs in the league get the support at home that Drury does? Bellarmine and USI on the men's side....who else? And who on the women's side even comes close?
                Last edited by DUPanther; 12-01-2016, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Whoa there...I've got nothing against you personally and I don't think you're picking a fight, I just know you're wrong.

Drury does electronically track tickets sold and scans them at the door. Like I said, they count tickets sold which I'm sure varies from butts in the seats because at Drury you've got 400+ season tickets sold plus whatever promotion they might be doing that night. But they don't just walk in, guess 2,000 and go with it.

A 1/3 full building might sound like a weak crowd, but when it holds 3,000 even that 1,000 people is already more than every other women's program in the league draws - and all but a few of the men.

So, since you admit you don't really know how Drury does things - what are you basing your observation about the crowd at Drury on?

Or I guess maybe the better question is this....to someone whose been around the league - what programs in the league get the support at home that Drury does? Bellarmine and USI on the men's side....who else? And who on the women's side even comes close?
                  I know at BU, they do scan each ticket when the patron comes through. I think they would get the attendance figure from that. Now whether they cut that number off to get the girls' game attendance as opposed to the total number of tickets scanned when they play a double header with the boys game, I do not know. At what time would they cut it off, halftime at the girls game? I have never paid attention to the girls attendance figure on the box score.

In the end, the technical numbers do not matter. We can tell by just looking at the games, what schools get support and the ones that do not. DU, BU do, USI does but is losing it, Indy and the rest* do not. Basically, I don't see it changing much(except for USI which could go back up or continue to fall depending on how the program goes.)

*Talking about GLVC schools only. Sorry KWC fans I do not mean to throw KWC with the rest.

Comment

Of course, KWC, which gets more support than most d2 teams, was the absolute worst at making up attendance figures. It seems like for the last couple of seasons in the GLVC they just reported their attendance for every game as 2,000. It really was too blatant to be misleading, nobody could have really thought there were exactly 2,000 people at each game, but the figure was significantly higher than the actual attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post

In the end, the technical numbers do not matter. We can tell by just looking at the games, what schools get support and the ones that do not. DU, BU do, USI does but is losing it, Indy and the rest* do not. Basically, I don't see it changing much(except for USI which could go back up or continue to fall depending on how the program goes.)
                      This. Exactly my point.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X