Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rankings

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
    I've gotten the feeling that they intentionally rotate a couple teams thru the last spots to increase the number of ranked teams (once ranked, always ranked), but I may just be imagining that.
    I think possible ranked teams (not in top 10 of PI presently) are from the GLVC: Indy, Lewis and a very slight chance for Rockhurst if they beat Indy on the road Saturday. From the GLIAC: Ashland, Michigan Tech, Saginaw and Walsh (the last two would only make it in the last ranking if they don't have another loss in the regular season.)
    Last edited by KnightStalker; 02-07-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

As much as I'd not like to, I think Indianapolis needs to be included as a bubble team - gives USI one more loss unfortunately.
      I've said this before, but I really don't think losses against ranked teams should count against you, other than in the same way any loss counts against you. If a team is 2-3 against ranked teams, that is still better than being 1-1 against ranked teams, otherwise you are penalizing someone for playing a better schedule. The real question is how many wins against ranked teams does the team have?

The interesting thing about the record against ranked teams criteria is that it actually makes the weekly regional poll substantive in nature. The poll has a real effect on the ultimate outcome, although it may be relatively minor. Not sure there are any other polls to which that applies.
      Last edited by Knightmoves; 02-08-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
        I've said this before, but I really don't think losses against ranked teams should count against you, other than in the same way any loss counts against you. If a team is 2-3 against ranked teams, that is still better than being 1-1 against ranked teams, otherwise you are penalizing someone for playing a better schedule. The real question is how many wins against ranked teams does the team have?
        Exactly, that's why a team like Rockhurst might get some looks from the committee. They have wins over two teams that will be definitely ranked-Central Missouri and Parkside. The inverse is true though its not necessarily the number of losses a team has but how many are bad losses.

Comment

Interestingly, in checking out Massey today, Ferris gained 2 spots and USI dropped 1. I suppose it's better to lose on your home court than to win on the road!

It just makes me wonder how their formula works...in the PI I can usually pick out the irregularities like that with good reasoning...but this one is a head-scratcher to me.

EDIT: I guess the delta column doesn't necessarily reflect change as of yesterday...maybe change within the past week?

Comment

Interestingly, in checking out Massey today, Ferris gained 2 spots and USI dropped 1. I suppose it's better to lose on your home court than to win on the road!

It just makes me wonder how their formula works...in the PI I can usually pick out the irregularities like that with good reasoning...but this one is a head-scratcher to me.

EDIT: I guess the delta column doesn't necessarily reflect change as of yesterday...maybe change within the past week?
            Yes, I think the "big" update happens every Monday morning and the delta column reflects change since that update, even though the rankings do in fact fluctuate daily based on recent results.

Comment

This week's regional ranking prognosis:
              1. BU
              2. USI
              3. FSU
              4. KWC
              5. UF
              6. Parkside
              7. Quincy
              8. TSU
              9. LSSU
              10. Lewis

Comment

This week's regional ranking prognosis:
                1. BU
                2. USI
                3. FSU
                4. KWC
                5. UF
                6. Parkside
                7. Quincy
                8. TSU
                9. LSSU
                10. Lewis
                Pretty much agree with that prognostication. As close as this season has been, I think there really is only a few things to be decided. I think that top 7 is pretty set to make it (unless there is more than one upset winner of a conference tourney), the order could change somewhat, especially at the top. The big fight is for the last spot. At least four teams have a fighting shot at it without having to win a conference tourney. TSU, LSSU, Lewis and Indy, I think have a chance at it. Indy might not be ranked this week but they have a good shot of doing it on their own with home games against Lewis and Parkside.

Comment

Regional rankings come out tomorrow, right? Here's my last iteration before the first ranking come out. My top-10 prediction lines up with the last column here.

1 3 Bellarmine 3 Bellarmine 8 Southern Indiana 7 Bellarmine 1.25 Bellarmine
                  2 4 Southern Indiana 6 Ferris State 9 Bellarmine 9 Southern Indiana 2.00 Southern Indiana
                  3 9 Ferris State 7 Southern Indiana 18 Ferris State 13 Ferris State 2.75 Ferris State
                  4 25 Kentucky Wesleyan 12 Kentucky Wesleyan 24 Kentucky Wesleyan 22 Kentucky Wesleyan 4.00 Kentucky Wesleyan
                  5 36 Quincy 24 Findlay 35 Findlay 31 Findlay 5.25 Findlay
                  6 42 Findlay 34 Lake Superior State 37 Wisconsin-Parkside 40 Lake Superior State 6.75 Wisconsin-Parkside
                  7 42 Wisconsin-Parkside 35 Wisconsin-Parkside 44 Quincy 53 Wayne State (Mich.) 7.25 Quincy
                  8 42 Truman State 38 Quincy 60 Truman State 63 Wisconsin-Parkside 7.75 Lake Superior State
                  9 56 Wayne State (Mich.) 41 Wayne State (Mich.) 66 Lake Superior State 64 Quincy 9.00 Truman State
                  10 64 Lake Superior State 51 Truman State 73 Lewis 75 Michigan Tech 10.00 Wayne State (Mich.)
                  11 80 Ashland 53 Ashland 75 Ashland 78 Ashland 11.00 Ashland
                  12 92 Indianapolis 56 Michigan Tech 80 Indianapolis 79 Truman State 13.25 Lewis
                  13 93 Lewis 60 Indianapolis 80 Hillsdale 87 Hillsdale 13.25 Indianapolis
                  14 95 Michigan Tech 65 Grand Valley State 84 Drury 89 Lewis 13.75 Michigan Tech
                  15 103 Hillsdale 68 Hillsdale 88 Wayne State (Mich.) 94 Saginaw Valley State 13.75 Hillsdale
                  16 105 Saginaw Valley State 74 Lewis 91 Grand Valley State 95 Indianapolis 16.25 Saginaw Valley State
                  17 113 Rockhurst 78 Saginaw Valley State 94 Rockhurst 97 Grand Valley State 16.50 Grand Valley State
                  18 114 Drury 86 Walsh 94 Saginaw Valley State 109 Walsh 18.00 Drury
                  19 117 Grand Valley State 104 Ohio Dominican 99 Walsh 110 Drury 18.75 Rockhurst
                  20 123 Walsh 106 Rockhurst 99 Michigan Tech 135 Ohio Dominican 18.75 Walsh
                  21 134 Ohio Dominican 113 Drury 136 Ohio Dominican 139 Rockhurst 20.25 Ohio Dominican
                  22 189 Alderson Broaddus 147 Northern Michigan 170 Missouri-St. Louis 189 Northern Michigan 24.00 Northern Michigan
                  23 194 Missouri S&T 169 Tiffin 170 Missouri S&T 192 Tiffin 24.25 Tiffin
                  24 205 Malone 193 Missouri S&T 189 Northern Michigan 195 Davis & Elkins 24.25 Missouri S&T
                  25 216 Missouri-St. Louis 194 Missouri-St. Louis 204 Tiffin 209 Missouri-St. Louis 24.25 Missouri-St. Louis
                  26 218 Tiffin 207 Davis & Elkins 209 William Jewell 219 Alderson Broaddus 25.50 Alderson Broaddus
                  27 221 Davis & Elkins 217 Alderson Broaddus 223 Alderson Broaddus 220 Cedarville 26.50 Davis & Elkins
                  28 229 Northern Michigan 227 Northwood 225 Saint Joseph's 221 Missouri S&T 29.25 Malone
                  29 239 Oakland City 234 Lake Erie 238 Davis & Elkins 227 Malone 29.75 Cedarville
                  30 245 Saint Joseph's 235 Cedarville 242 Northwood 242 McKendree 30.00 William Jewell
                  31 246 Cedarville 241 William Jewell 245 Cedarville 253 Illinois Springfield 31.25 Saint Joseph's
                  32 246 William Jewell 246 Malone 247 Malone 254 William Jewell 31.50 Northwood
                  33 264 Northwood 248 Saint Joseph's 252 McKendree 259 Lake Erie 33.25 McKendree
                  34 273 Illinois Springfield 251 Illinois Springfield 256 Illinois Springfield 265 Saint Joseph's 33.25 Lake Erie
                  35 276 McKendree 266 McKendree 265 Lake Erie 269 Northwood 33.25 Illinois Springfield
                  36 277 Lake Erie 278 Maryville 267 Maryville 276 Maryville 35.75 Oakland City
                  37 278 Trevecca Nazarene 283 Trevecca Nazarene 273 Trevecca Nazarene 284 Trevecca Nazarene 36.50 Maryville
                  38 295 Maryville 312 Oakland City 284 Oakland City 309 Oakland City 37.00 Trevecca Nazarene
                  39 297 Ohio Valley 315 Ohio Valley 306 Ohio Valley 314 Salem International 39.25 Ohio Valley
                  40 307 Salem International 316 Salem International 311 Salem International 316 Ohio Valley 39.75 Salem International

Comment

I am thinking the regional rankings will be closer to the PI instead of your average here for the top 8 at least. I do think Lewis and Indy will get more respect than Wayne or Ashland on the list with at least one of them making the top 10 with LSSU.

Comment

Regardless of the ranking today, Lewis or Indy look like they can still make the NCAA, even without winning the conf. tournament. One of is going to have to stand up and win out their last three games. They both have played better toward the end of the season. Based on their games against BU, I like Indy's chances.

I don't know if it was a fluke, but Lewis did not look any better than Maryville, McKendree, etc when they played BU. Maybe it was simply BU's best performance of the year.

Comment

Regardless of the ranking today, Lewis or Indy look like they can still make the NCAA, even without winning the conf. tournament. One of is going to have to stand up and win out their last three games. They both have played better toward the end of the season. Based on their games against BU, I like Indy's chances.

I don't know if it was a fluke, but Lewis did not look any better than Maryville, McKendree, etc when they played BU. Maybe it was simply BU's best performance of the year.
                        I thought BU played very well when they dismantled my Eagles at the Pac. In fact, I was shocked with the play of the BU point guard who outplayed our guards that day. Having seen BU multiple times, I could easily see them winning the region if their inside game becomes more consistent or at least on par with their outside game that was displayed at the Pac. Scary and well coached!

Comment

Originally posted by EagleWhip View Post
                          I thought BU played very well when they dismantled my Eagles at the Pac. In fact, I was shocked with the play of the BU point guard who outplayed our guards that day. Having seen BU multiple times, I could easily see them winning the region if their inside game becomes more consistent or at least on par with their outside game that was displayed at the Pac. Scary and well coached!
                          Davis has had a tremendous year. He has played as well as any point guard I have seen play in D2. What makes him good and in fact what makes BU good this year is defense. This has been Davenport's best defensive team. I will say that the game at USI was up to that point in the season, the best defensive effort BU had performed. The fact though is they followed that up with even better efforts against Lewis (we can say Lewis' effort stunk but I think the defense had a lot to do with it), and Parkside and have continued ever since. In fact defense has become the most solid and formidable part of BU's game. The starters are all very solid defensively, and when Cook comes in there is some decent shot blocking ability to go with it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X