Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOU's Akil Reese transferring

Bummer, one of my favorite players, Akil Reese, has left WOU. Good point guard came in as a frosh from SoCal, redshirted and started a lot this year, minutes diminished down the stretch. It's a bit of a reach to get Cali guys, even Washington players. Monmouth often doesn't suit them.

On the Final 4 team they had two starters from Cali (one JC), other starters from Woodburn, Oregon; McKenzie River, Oregon; and Monmouth, Oregon; sixth man from Salem. Having watched WOU athletics for awhile, historically the best football players and basketball players have not only come from Oregon, but usually small Oregon towns. I documented the football stuff on the football board, by far their best players of late (Boss from Philomath, Revis from Scappoose, etc.) have come from small Oregon towns.

When I was in college they had a run of 4-straight 25-win or more seasons. A 30-win team had starters from Coos Bay, Estacada, Redmond, Beaverton, and a B school in Washington, Chimicum (where coach Jim Shaw hails from; Shaw was an All-American player at Western Oregon and played on one of those teams as did his prep teammate).

I wish Reese would've stayed as I wish the 6-10 kid from Auburn, Washington, would've stayed. But I know that if you bring in out-of-staters to Monmouth, you need to play them or they will bolt. Also, I'm not sure the 20-person roster thing is a positive. I like coach Shaw's recruiting, but Bergeson didn't oversell the farm, sticking with a rather small roster. (His two best players in his time in Monmouth? Guards from Junction City and McMinnville. WOU coaches out-think themselves too much with this out-of-state/metro stuff, IMO.)

Gonna miss Reese, excellent player.

Re: WOU's Akil Reese transferring

Is Tristan Miguel also transferring?

Comment

Re: WOU's Akil Reese transferring

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
      Is Tristan Miguel also transferring?
      That's what was posted here, I've seen nothing on verbal commits. Rumor was he's going to a JC in Washington. I have no idea, however.

I'd like that 20-man roster trimmed to 13-15, it causes too many problems ... and to think that the Seattle point guard and Cali JC post never made it to campus after signing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X