Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNAC movement

UAA announces the departure of local players (no announcement of their trio of Pacific signees... maybe they are waiting for the 4th?):

http://www.goseawolves.com//ViewArti...CLID=211585024

Saint Martins signs some good looking players:

http://www.smusaints.com/news/2017/5...-recruits.aspx

Chavez's big brother, Neal played at UAF the year Travante played here too and was a key reserve player. He was definitely part of the crew that year that didn't overthink things and just liked to go~they were a super fun team. I was sad to see that Neal didn't come back to complete his senior year @ UAF. Sounds like his little bro is a good get too, and also a gypsy as he makes SMU his 3rd school to stop at. Their other two signees are DI drop-downs, the going rage in the GNAC right now, one of which is also making his 3rd stop at SMU. Sounds like SMU is reloading with some good players.

MSUB gets a player who put up some good numbers @ JC:

http://www.msubsports.com/news/2017/...r-2017-18.aspx

GNAC LOIs List:

http://www.gnacsports.com/mbasketball/mbbsignees/

You all probably already know where this link is on the GNAC page, but in case you don't it is under the "Related Links" area on the right side, midway down area. This will only be current until they update it, which has been often lately. Lots of signees flying under the radar of the VC site... These are classic UAF signees. Neither Travante nor Brandon Davis (2nd team all GNAC this last season) had any sort of announcements and were way under the radar. Lootens, of Whatcom Community College fits right in that mold, not even making the team in high school... I know nothing about the other UAF signings that have not been up on VC, except that McCullough is from Fairbanks, played locally at Monroe, (proving to me that anything is possible & to not make assumptions about anything!) and has 3 years eligibility, was Frosh of the year in his league @ Peninsula and publicly was super stoked to come play at UAF... Who knew! Awesome! Two of UAFs signees are 5'10"... Yikes. Shrinking from last years very small team? Hmmmm.

http://www.lyndentribune.com/sports/...135315009.html

Happy reading as you sip coffee Friday morning? Hope so. Feel free to tag on other stories of movement, gypsies, signings, rumors or stories of West region goings on.

Re: GNAC movement

Great info, thanks. Verbal Commits has been an excellent site for this stuff. WOU has three players signed, one transfer and two preps. With graduations and departures, WOU is at about 15 right now. I don't know who else is coming and going, I've heard rumors, one that is a bit unsettling. I must accept the fact that college basketball -- even at the D2 level -- is always in flux.

I'm hoping experienced redshirts Alex Roth, Janvier Alaby, and Nick Nestell, are ready to play next year.

Comment

Yeah, I think WOU looks good with Nestell, Roth, Omlid, and Alaby and some combo of Hawken, Chirnside, and Boumann as forwards. I know they've got a LOT of depth at guards beyond what's mentioned here and as you've said, maybe too much depth... Not a lot of those guys want to ride the pine much, but there are too many of them to all play most of the game. It'll be interesting to see if Shaw gets two bigs in at a time or sticks with a more guard oriented style. From the looks of the roster on VC, he puts a lot more priority into perimeter players.

Comment

http://www.goseawolves.com//ViewArti...CLID=211586216

And UAA's DI drop-downs are announced/justified. Almost like Osborne is reading the board...

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
          Yeah, I think WOU looks good with Nestell, Roth, Omlid, and Alaby and some combo of Hawken, Chirnside, and Boumann as forwards. I know they've got a LOT of depth at guards beyond what's mentioned here and as you've said, maybe too much depth... Not a lot of those guys want to ride the pine much, but there are too many of them to all play most of the game. It'll be interesting to see if Shaw gets two bigs in at a time or sticks with a more guard oriented style. From the looks of the roster on VC, he puts a lot more priority into perimeter players.
          Faruq-Bey really came on last year as did Trammell late in the season. I thought they were kind of gunners early on and let the game come to them later. Leaks also played fine down the stretch, so those three (hopefully) are back. Berg's minutes seemed to get diminished as the season went on. I liked his attitude, hustle, played hard when he was in there. Shaw is quoted as saying he thought Roth would've been their leading scorer last year had he been healthy. Can't argue there, the guy can fill it up in a hurry. I hope he's healthy. Alaby is a fine role player, who can do the dirty work of rebounding and getting loose balls. Nestell is an unselfish point guard with good speed. Omlid is a sensational all-around player. Chirnside came into his own last season. Guessing Hawken plays somewhere or they wouldn't have brought him in, same with Boumann. Looks like they could afford to redshirt the two freshmen recruits.

Heck, WOU could have two games of 5 on 5 in practice it seems. It's interesting that they go from the small Bergeson rosters to the huge Shaw rosters. I think they could possibly be the GNAC pre-season favorite, remember a missed jumper from winning the GNAC tourney last year. I'm just a bit surprised at the large numbers. Oh well.

UAA stockpiling the Pacific transfers is intriguing. The two locals who transferred out didn't play in the game I saw at NNU (a UAA loss). I'm skeptical of three one and dones and whether they'll fit in.

It appears on paper that CWU landed two top-notch recruits, and I'm sure WWU still has a lot of talent. As always, should be an interesting recruiting season for the conference.

Comment

So a pair of Humboldt guards are headed to the GNAC. Looks like Malik Morgan is off to WOU and Tyler Green is off to MSUB.

What's going on @ Humboldt CCAA_Fanatic? Seems like, despite losing Beverly, MSUB has gotten some good signees for next year to build on. Morgan will join Nestell, Raglione (?), Leaks, & LuBom as PGs... That's a lot and while PGs can usually play SGs pretty well, WOU has 6 or 7 guys that play guard or wing of some kind. Yikes. That's a lot of guys competing for minutes. Are all those guys coming back Tsull?

Comment

So a pair of Humboldt guards are headed to the GNAC. Looks like Malik Morgan is off to WOU and Tyler Green is off to MSUB.

What's going on @ Humboldt CCAA_Fanatic? Seems like, despite losing Beverly, MSUB has gotten some good signees for next year to build on. Morgan will join Nestell, Raglione (?), Leaks, & LuBom as PGs... That's a lot and while PGs can usually play SGs pretty well, WOU has 6 or 7 guys that play guard or wing of some kind. Yikes. That's a lot of guys competing for minutes. Are all those guys coming back Tsull?
              Close to 10 guards at WOU if they all come back, that would include the new guys coming in. Not sure if there's a one-year sit-out year going from D2 to D2. I don't think there is, but I don't know. Verbal commits has 2 guys listed, who weren't on the roster last year, Strickland and Raglione, both guards, who are no longer with the program. The guards are Faruq-Bey, Berg, Trammel, Leaks, Lacey, Nestell, Roth; and now three incoming guards and one post. So far the only defections I know of are Reese (bummer, loved his game); the 6-11 redshirt post (bummer, I like big guys) and the seniors, who graduated.

Coach Shaw likes to build big rosters, I won't argue it. He's gone to a Final 4 and was a rimmed out jumper at the buzzer from winning the GNAC tourney last year.

* Here's what I don't get about Morgan: He's got one year left and was all-conference last year. Just finish your eligibility and degree there. Is transferring to WOU really going to transform his collegiate playing and academic career? Don't get it. I highly doubt he's beating out Roth, Faruq-Bey, or Trammel ... maybe he is, I don't know. Strange.

Comment

A lot of good players will be in the GNAC next season!

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                  Close to 10 guards at WOU if they all come back, that would include the new guys coming in. Not sure if there's a one-year sit-out year going from D2 to D2. I don't think there is, but I don't know. Verbal commits has 2 guys listed, who weren't on the roster last year, Strickland and Raglione, both guards, who are no longer with the program. The guards are Faruq-Bey, Berg, Trammel, Leaks, Lacey, Nestell, Roth; and now three incoming guards and one post. So far the only defections I know of are Reese (bummer, loved his game); the 6-11 redshirt post (bummer, I like big guys) and the seniors, who graduated.

Coach Shaw likes to build big rosters, I won't argue it. He's gone to a Final 4 and was a rimmed out jumper at the buzzer from winning the GNAC tourney last year.

* Here's what I don't get about Morgan: He's got one year left and was all-conference last year. Just finish your eligibility and degree there. Is transferring to WOU really going to transform his collegiate playing and academic career? Don't get it. I highly doubt he's beating out Roth, Faruq-Bey, or Trammel ... maybe he is, I don't know. Strange.
                  Maybe there is something going on with the coaching staff at Humboldt that is making players re-home themselves? Who knows whether he'll beat out Roth, F-Bey or Trammel for playing time, but he did make all-league in a league that was much tougher than the GNAC last year... Yes, all of the WOU guards are athletic and talented but until late they didn't really put it all together. Maybe Morgan is someone who can come in, get the system and not over-think things and be impactful and reliable more quickly? Who knows. If he's a true PG, it looks like Shaw is not putting his stock in his current PGs to carry the whole load by signing a one year senior transfer. Yes, he can play next year because he's not transferring in conference (I think).

Comment

I'd be surprised if Morgan beat out Faruq-Bey, a guy who played a lot in D-1 and was WOU's 2nd-best player last year. Shaw is quoted as saying he expected Roth to be their leading scorer last year until he got injured. He averaged 28 ppg in high school, led the state of Oregon, and was good enough to make Oregon State's roster. I don't think he's beating him out either. His best bet is point guard or redshirting when Faruq-Bey and Trammell have graduated.

His transfer makes no sense to me, but more power to him if he thinks it will work and he can find happiness at WOU. I hope it does work for him, it's just a head-scratcher.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                      I'd be surprised if Morgan beat out Faruq-Bey, a guy who played a lot in D-1 and was WOU's 2nd-best player last year. Shaw is quoted as saying he expected Roth to be their leading scorer last year until he got injured. He averaged 28 ppg in high school, led the state of Oregon, and was good enough to make Oregon State's roster. I don't think he's beating him out either. His best bet is point guard or redshirting when Faruq-Bey and Trammell have graduated.

His transfer makes no sense to me, but more power to him if he thinks it will work and he can find happiness at WOU. I hope it does work for him, it's just a head-scratcher.
                      I think Morgan is a PG--looks like he collects a lot of assists. He was all-league CCAA all 3 years @ Humboldt. He's from Eugene. Don't think he's competing with F-Bey, Trammell, or Roth. Think he's there to be a floor captain along with Nestell and Leaks and maybe LuBom... With 3 years worth of CCAA honors, on paper he looks like the starting PG to me, but Nestell and Leaks are also great ball-handlers and certainly know the WOU system under Shaw better. Might not make sense to you but it's a great pick-up. Betcha your praising him in about, oh, 8 months... Mark my words :fingers-crossed:

Comment

I think Morgan is a PG--looks like he collects a lot of assists. He was all-league CCAA all 3 years @ Humboldt. He's from Eugene. Don't think he's competing with F-Bey, Trammell, or Roth. Think he's there to be a floor captain along with Nestell and Leaks and maybe LuBom... With 3 years worth of CCAA honors, on paper he looks like the starting PG to me, but Nestell and Leaks are also great ball-handlers and certainly know the WOU system under Shaw better. Might not make sense to you but it's a great pick-up. Betcha your praising him in about, oh, 8 months... Mark my words :fingers-crossed:
                        You're probably right, sounds talented. Pretty sure they recruited him out of high school, wonder why he didn't just come then. If he's a point guard, that's great. Garrison is gone and I thought he was pretty good. If he's a shooting guard, redshirt him.

Comment

Tristan Miguel is transferring from WOU to Highline College (NWAC)

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
                            Tristan Miguel is transferring from WOU to Highline College (NWAC)
                            Yep, heard that awhile back. My take on the out-of-state kids coming to Monmouth is you better play them early or they'll leave. Miguel's prep teammate is still there after a redshirt year. Reese played early, but left anyway after a redshirt freshman season.

A guy like Devon Alexander (a couple years back) from California was a 4-year starer. Usually the Oregon kids don't leave -- Avgi, Wiley, Roth, Chirnside, Thompson, Nestell, etc. Monmouth is small and not super exciting, so if you're going to bring kids down from Seattle or up from Cali, early playing time might keep them there ... then again, it might not. College hoops is really in flux these days with all the transfers.

Comment

UAA gets a 4th D1 transfer, this one from North Dakota State 6'4 210 guard Malik Clements. UAA trying to make some moves.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X