Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAA to host GNAC championships

Cool stuff here, and maybe this will motivate me to go up to Alaska as I've never been there. UAA is hosting the GNAC championshps. Nice picture on the front page of GNAC sports, what a great looking arena. Here's the story I clicked on, there's a much bigger picture of the arena on the front page:

http://www.gnacsports.com/

UAA is still my pick to win the GNAC title and hosting it will enhance their chances.

Re: UAA to host GNAC championships

UAA to host 2018. Saint Martin to host this year.
    Last edited by GNACHOOPS; 09-29-2016, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
      Cool stuff here, and maybe this will motivate me to go up to Alaska as I've never been there. UAA is hosting the GNAC championshps. Nice picture on the front page of GNAC sports, what a great looking arena. Here's the story I clicked on, there's a much bigger picture of the arena on the front page:

http://www.gnacsports.com/

UAA is still my pick to win the GNAC title and hosting it will enhance their chances.
      Go to Alaska. I was there for the Great Alaskan Shootout that the Gophers won back in 1994. Saw the Blue glacier, took a trip to Whittier through the rail tunnel, saw Denali from the top of the Hilton. Had a dog sled ride. The guy before warned me to put the blanket underneath me or I'd have a back full of snow. Also that the view of the trail dog never changes.

Is it as much fun as Hawaii? No, but I'll never forget that trip.

Comment

Alaska in the winter? Well at least Anchorage is more mild being on the coast. And a pretty epic stadium.

In other news, UAA was ranked 3rd in the nation in the Sporting News preseason poll: http://www.adn.com/sports/uaa-athlet...reseason-poll/

Comment

If you want to go to Alaska and get to see a lot of GNAC ball, this is the best bet for your money. With your WOU team signing a lot of promising folks for this season, you'll likely get to see your wolves in this tourney too. Lots of ball, a great arena and a trip to Anchorage in March, when the days are long and often sunny. Interesting is though that UAA will graduate a ton of players (the bulk of their team) this season, so their 2018 team will be really different than it is now and although they've made the tourney every year the GNAC has had it, there's this thing in the GNAC that's like a curse if you're hosting this tourney, you often don't make it (see MSUB and SMU). Attached is the ADN article about this and UAA coming in tabbed #3 and the GNAC commissioner talks about how these tourney sites are picked, which is interesting, because I really had no idea why it always seems to be SMU and then one random year it was MSUB...

And for those of you keeping up with Alaska politics and economics, having a GNAC tourney tabbed in Alaska in 2018 is really, really, really good news.

http://www.adn.com/sports/uaa-athlet...reseason-poll/

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
            Interesting is though that UAA will graduate a ton of players (the bulk of their team) this season, so their 2018 team will be really different than it is now and although they've made the tourney every year the GNAC has had it, there's this thing in the GNAC that's like a curse if you're hosting this tourney, you often don't make it (see MSUB and SMU).
            The Alaska budget issues means that the AD's probably wanted to make it while they had the chance. Also, as you mention. it may be a down year for UAA - another selling point to do it in 2018.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X