Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2 to D2 transfer, does it work?

I've noticed many GNAC teams have D2 transfers on them, some don't (St. Martin's, WWU, some others), just wondering if this works? WOU will hit the court this year with a talented Humboldt State guard transfer and a good power forward transfer from Concordia. That said, Academy of Arts transfer Yanick Kulich at WOU had high expectations, had limited playing time and success at Western, though I liked his game and thought he should've played more. He logged only 4 games at Academy of Arts, but was their leading scorer. Not sure if he was injured or what happened.

I get the D-1 bench-warmer/redshirt to D2 to seek more playing time. I'd do the same thing if I was riding the pine, sports is about playing. I've ridden benches in high school and played in other sports, if you're not exhausted and sweaty after a game/match/race, etc., and you just watched the action in a uniform, I'd get out.

I don't understand the productive starter leaving a D2 program for another. Are things going to change that much? I really don't get the bench-warmer transfer from one D2 to another. Is that person suddenly going to become a starter and star at the next stop? Doubtful, unless the program he goes to is really bad and then who wants to lose like crazy?

That all said, the spring and summer brought a huge influx of new transfers to the GNAC men's hoop rosters ... that's the way of the world in D2 basketball, I guess.

Thoughts?

Re: D2 to D2 transfer, does it work?

There are some good examples of when it has worked out. Travante Williams had a terrific senior season a few years back at UAF after transferring from Adams St. in CO where he wasn't as successful.

Dom Hunter and Kalidou Diouf were both languishing at UAA in some form or another a few years back and they both went on/have gone on to be 2 of the top players in the D2 West Region for CWU and Cal Baptist respectively.

The amount of transferring that goes on in college basketball is staggering anymore. But I still think that D2 programs that can find HS kids and build their program from the grass roots up have a chance to be more successful than the teams that have to rely on mass transfers every spring. So I'm with you Tsull on the disdain for kids always moving to find greener pastures.

Comment

Coaches and their system, or coaching changes, could be a reason. Sometimes the team or the college or town itself is just a bad fit. Like how players transfer out of the Alaska schools so often. Or a player could be lost in the depth chart at his school but there can be graduating players and a new opening at another school.

Comment

Hey! It's mid-August and hurrah for that. I agree that coaching styles, the location of the school and win/loss records could weigh heavily on athletes deciding where to burn their eligibility. Also interesting to see this season will be Preston Beverly who transferred out of MSUB to Point Loma, as well as Trey Ingram who went from SMU to Hawaii Hilo.

Sometimes you learn more from making mistakes than you do from nailing it perfectly the first time. Travante, Kalidou, and Hunter were certainly great examples of really flourishing after a D2 transfer. You better know why you're transferring though, and how you plan to be successful, otherwise, I agree with you Tsull that your situation and happiness might not change much.

The GNAC has a lot of locations that leave a lot of challenges in keeping students in a program when anything else is not going right. On the other hand, the GNAC does amazing in the West Region in women's ball, being far and away the strongest conference in the region...

Comment

Originally posted by lv2hoop View Post
          There are some good examples of when it has worked out. Travante Williams had a terrific senior season a few years back at UAF after transferring from Adams St. in CO where he wasn't as successful.

Dom Hunter and Kalidou Diouf were both languishing at UAA in some form or another a few years back and they both went on/have gone on to be 2 of the top players in the D2 West Region for CWU and Cal Baptist respectively.

The amount of transferring that goes on in college basketball is staggering anymore. But I still think that D2 programs that can find HS kids and build their program from the grass roots up have a chance to be more successful than the teams that have to rely on mass transfers every spring. So I'm with you Tsull on the disdain for kids always moving to find greener pastures.
          Great examples. Travante Williams is the poster child for this working out, Kulich of WOU is the poster child for this not working out. I think D-1 has an even bigger issue than D2 in regards to transfers, some 600 or so D-1 kids last year transferring, most going to other D-1 schools. The ones that kill me are the guys who go from one bad mid-major to another one as if that's going to turn their collegiate hoop career around. "You know, I wasn't getting any PT at Kennesaw State, so I'm going to be the man at Delaware State!" Sure you are, buddy. At least your chance of being the man is better dropping down a division.

Not being hypocritical here because WOU's two best players -- Tanner Omlid and Alex Roth -- are D-1 transfers. Local kids, but yes, D-1 transfers, and from all I've heard, great guys, good students, excellent representatives of the program and university. I guess I'm just speculating on if these moves are always good and yes, the aforementioned players by lv2hoop certainly transformed their careers by transferring schools.

* Correction, WOU's THREE best players are D-1 transfers, gotta put Ali Faruq-Bey in there, Idaho State transfer and quite a talent.

Comment

The one reason you guys haven't mentioned is the education opportunity. Most players in D2 aren't going to go on to play professional basketball, or if they do it won't be for long. Some colleges offer a better opportunity depending on what your post-graduation plans are. Sitting the bench at Stanford might be a great opportunity. If you are into geophysical sciences - UAF might be a great school to transfer to. Academics and the doors that the degree might open for you after college should be the most important consideration. Putting basketball first is what a HS kid might do, but after a couple of years of college and the reality that you are soon going to have to make your own way in the world, priorities change. A good coach and advisors should keep the player focused on this as well as basketball.

BTW Diouf transferred in large part I would guess because he pulled some off court BS that got him suspended for about half the season, and knowing Osborne, he wasn't going to be entirely out of the doghouse for some time. Think he wanted a fresh start. Dom Hunter left because he was not going to be a starter at UAA - Brian McGill had that job. They were both good decisions for those guys, especially Diouf. Think the PacWest is not as physical for a big man (just an opinion and might not have been true last year).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X