Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNAC quarterfinals & semifinal games

1) Saint Martin's vs Central Washington - At the half Saint Martin's is up on the Wildcats. Saints had a momentary lapse when they got sucked into playing Central's game, but then got back to their own thing, which is team ball, a deep bench and discipline. Wildcats are doing their thing-fairly predictably. We'll see who can hit shots, make plays and what adjustments the teams make....

2) Anchorage vs Seattle Pacific - This matchup is interesting. At the start of the year most would bet on SPU in this one. Now... UAA is not great, but they seemed to have sorted stuff out, they've got their lineup and they've been finding ways to win and they are tough to score on. Plus they are at home. Not sure how much that means. Their women draw better than the men and it's a middle of the work-week game. If SPU brings everything I'd think they have the advantage, but they haven't had their heads in it as consistently as the Seapups have the last weeks.

Re: GNAC quarterfinals & semifinal games

Wildcats keeping it interesting by making some huge plays down the stretch to tie the game. Saint's miss a pretty good look at a layup so we're headed to overtime. I've seen CWU do this a few times this year where they aren't looking to win the whole game, but when their backs are against the wall, they tend to make shots!!!

Comment

Haven't seen much of st Martin's, but it seems like they aren't as physical as some teams in the gnac are? Gutty win to pull that out. A loss would have probably elminated them from the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Excellent first game of the tourney as the Saint's get it by 3 in OT. A few thoughts... Shebazz underlined his Freshman of the year award. He really hassled Chavez and Chavez picked up several offensive fouls trying to get Shebazz off his case. Chavez and Niles fouled out earlyish-Niles was a non-factor, Chavez not as much of a factor as he usually is. In the end, team ball won out over 1 on 1 play. Dahlen has got to be the unsung hero for the Saint's, getting huge blocks down the stretch and huge rebounds for the Saints. Was impressed with the Saints really taking it to Niles and not rearranging everything-I believe they may have won both the rebound battle as well as the points-in-paint battle. Kitchen had a rough game from the line missing several key FTs that could have put that one away a little earlier... Saint's should clean it up tomorrow as they play a similarly talented WWU team that are not as fast as Shebazz and crew, but are HUGE!!!!

Would really love to see those Wildcats play a more tempered game-so, so much talent, but not so much discipline or team ball.

Comment

Man, this is a rough start for Anchorage in their own gym. Seattle Pacific jumped out to a 19-2 lead in this one as the Seawolves hit only one of their first 17 shots(!) There's still time to come back, but it's a very tall order.

Comment

Not surprised. In the games I've seen this year, Alaska has struggled to score.

Comment

Thanks for the great updates everyone, this is good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBronco View Post
                Not surprised. In the games I've seen this year, Alaska has struggled to score.
                1) If I say it's going to be an interesting game, disregard... :smile-big: UAA is at 25 points now with 12 remaining... SPU matches up with WOU better, so that is a bonus, plus I'm still reeling from our loss to the Seapups a few weeks ago, so seeing them go down in front of 300 is something a little brat like me relishes.

2) Billy. There are two teams in Alaska; University of Alaska Fairbanks (referred to in Fairbanks and on here as UAF). Due to some silly marketing idea, they are formerly referred to as *Alaska*, because we in Fairbanks get sick of Anchorage being most everything in Alaska... It's stupid... Mascot = Nanook (Nook rhymes with hook, not like nuclear or anything)-It's a Native Alaska word for Polar Bear. So when you say "Alaska" is having trouble scoring, please refer to the proper team... Right now the Seapups (University of Alaska Anchorage-UAA) are on the floor and yes, they are having trouble scoring, although they are up to 30 now...

3) I know I'm getting obnoxious. I'll pipe down any minute here.

Comment

Great first game in GNAC action today. SMU by one in a nail-biter.Thought the right team won, although it was a "hang on" sorta win till Chavez made a great play-great job drawing that up too Pribble! Again, a lot of unsung heros for the Saints. Kitchen righted the ship today at the FT line and was clutch inside. WWU fairly typical showing for them. Always hard to overlook that talent, but the play leaves a lot to be desired. I think they only lose Dickson from the guys that play a lot, so they have a chance to right things next year, although without a coaching change, I'm skeptical about that.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
                    Would really love to see those Wildcats play a more tempered game-so, so much talent, but not so much discipline or team ball.
                    Always the issue every season. And Niles was useless the last two reg season games at SPU and SMU and in this game. The foul trouble really hurt him and the team, taking out Central's only big advantage (big true center)

Comment

Yay for SMU beating Western! Now I want SMU to win it all despite them beating Central 3 times this season

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X