Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWU search?

I heard they're interviewing WOU's Jim Shaw this week in Ellensburg. I'd be disappointed if he made that move, and I wouldn't understand it. But who knows in collegiate athletics. I've long learned not to get too attached to these coaches, though I hope Jim stays at WOU. Sounds like a lot of people knew this before me and it's common knowledge in Oregon.

Re: CWU search?

https://twitter.com/RSKuhn/status/981380343130357760

Wow not sure why he would leave WOU for CWU unless we are offering him lots more $$$. He has a great thing going in Monmouth. But wow we could use him and his great recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
      https://twitter.com/RSKuhn/status/981380343130357760

Wow not sure why he would leave WOU for CWU unless we are offering him lots more $$$. He has a great thing going in Monmouth. But wow we could use him and his great recruiting.
      It's wrong on so many levels. Don't care if WOU doesn't like me for this, I'm an alum, supporter, donor, one of the few people on the planet who even cares about WOU athletics.

* One, he's going up there to interview instead of out there recruiting. In the interview, he's going to kindly disparage his alma mater and say why CWU is better. This is a league rival ... have some f'n pride. Sheesh.

* Two, from his own personal standpoint, being in his mid-50's and I know wants a D-1 job, wouldn't you make another deep run at WOU and try for something like PSU (their coach was a finalist at USU this year) or UP (their coach isn't that good). Going D2 to D2 is a odd and if I was interviewing him, I'd ask why? Why go from the top dog in the conference right now to the school you're beating? And if I was interviewing, I wouldn't take some half-a$$ answer.

* Three, and I know the word loyalty has long since left our sports lexicon, but Jim Shaw probably isn't a college coach in any capacity if he didn't play at WOU and follow his head coach to Idaho State. Decades later, WOU takes him away from his operations job (see glorified secretary) at St. Mary's and gives him his first head job. And he's willing to leave for a league rival? That stinks. Sometimes it's good to remember where you came from and how you got to where you are.

I know few if any will read this outside the 5/6 people who post here, and I'm sure if anyone does from WOU they're upset with me right now just like they always are. Tough sh-t. I want to get behind your athletic program and any time there's success, this happens. Perhaps I should just get behind track and field since they're killing it right now and at last look, the head coach has been there a long time.

Comment

Maybe CWU is offering him a long term well-paying deal. CWU does have the talent in place to be great. Add some new Shaw recruits and they can be lethal.

Comment

Maybe CWU is offering him a long term well-paying deal. CWU does have the talent in place to be great. Add some new Shaw recruits and they can be lethal.
          Makes no sense, not one iota. CWU is D2, they don't have buckets of money. If he was going D1, I understand. This makes no sense, it's a sh-t-bag move, period, IMO.

Comment

I wonder what both sides are thinking as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
              It's wrong on so many levels. Don't care if WOU doesn't like me for this, I'm an alum, supporter, donor, one of the few people on the planet who even cares about WOU athletics.

* One, he's going up there to interview instead of out there recruiting. In the interview, he's going to kindly disparage his alma mater and say why CWU is better. This is a league rival ... have some f'n pride. Sheesh.

* Two, from his own personal standpoint, being in his mid-50's and I know wants a D-1 job, wouldn't you make another deep run at WOU and try for something like PSU (their coach was a finalist at USU this year) or UP (their coach isn't that good). Going D2 to D2 is a odd and if I was interviewing him, I'd ask why? Why go from the top dog in the conference right now to the school you're beating? And if I was interviewing, I wouldn't take some half-a$$ answer.

* Three, and I know the word loyalty has long since left our sports lexicon, but Jim Shaw probably isn't a college coach in any capacity if he didn't play at WOU and follow his head coach to Idaho State. Decades later, WOU takes him away from his operations job (see glorified secretary) at St. Mary's and gives him his first head job. And he's willing to leave for a league rival? That stinks. Sometimes it's good to remember where you came from and how you got to where you are.

I know few if any will read this outside the 5/6 people who post here, and I'm sure if anyone does from WOU they're upset with me right now just like they always are. Tough sh-t. I want to get behind your athletic program and any time there's success, this happens. Perhaps I should just get behind track and field since they're killing it right now and at last look, the head coach has been there a long time.
              I feel your pain! Players change teams all the time, but when coaches move between teams in the same league, it's tough. I agree with many of your points!

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                Makes no sense, not one iota. CWU is D2, they don't have buckets of money. If he was going D1, I understand. This makes no sense, it's a sh-t-bag move, period, IMO.
                Maybe he is an avid fly fisherman and the Yakima River is what is"luring" him to Ellensburg. Or maybe he likes rodeo.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
                  I feel your pain! Players change teams all the time, but when coaches move between teams in the same league, it's tough. I agree with many of your points!
                  The in-conference move by Mick Durham made sense. He gave UAF seven good years (I think it was seven) and went back to his home state. I'm not for in-conference moves, but that made sense. I don't get 3 years and out for the school that made Jim Shaw -- TWICE! As a player/graduate/future coach and later on as a first-time head coach. I know I'm wired different than others in that I think loyalty should mean something. I would totally get a D-1 move, even if I'm not that caught up in D-1, it's a professional move to get to the top. Going from the top team in the conference something like 3 out of the last 5 years to take over a program he was beating ... it's a head-scratcher to me.

To me WOU hoops is taking off, becoming a national name, if Shaw leaves it might take awhile to rebuild -- 7/8 seniors are leaving (they redshirted a couple of seniors). It's easier to rebuild/reload with the same coach.

I just don't get it and I think even applying for the job is a crap move and I stand by that.

Comment

Maybe he's just trying to get a raise.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                      Maybe he's just trying to get a raise.
                      Could be, he should man-up and ask for one then ... of course I don't play office politics and I know coaches do that. WOU doesn't have a ton of money for raises, I know CWU isn't super flush either. We're talking regional universities so playing the give-me-cash game seems kind of odd. Still don't like it ...

Comment

There are lots of reasons to leave WOU... more scholarships, better facilities, better salaries for assistants, better salary for yourself, etc.; but, I agree, this makes no sense. He should stick around for another year or two, keep winning, and wait for the WCC and Big Sky jobs to open. If you can win at WOU with regularity, you can land one of those jobs. Leaving your alma mater for a rival makes little sense professionally. Personally, who knows, maybe it's right.

Comment

Originally posted by red_bandwagon View Post
                          There are lots of reasons to leave WOU... more scholarships, better facilities, better salaries for assistants, better salary for yourself, etc.; but, I agree, this makes no sense. He should stick around for another year or two, keep winning, and wait for the WCC and Big Sky jobs to open. If you can win at WOU with regularity, you can land one of those jobs. Leaving your alma mater for a rival makes little sense professionally. Personally, who knows, maybe it's right.
                          WOU I believe is fully funded in men's hoops. The alumni hoopsters have really come through. CWU does not have better hoops facilities than WOU.

Comment

CWU AD sure is taking his time with this decision. The suspense is killing me!

Comment

CWU AD sure is taking his time with this decision. The suspense is killing me!
                              They should take their time. I of course would like to keep coach Shaw, I'm at the point that whatever he does, he does. He'll give you a 2-year commitment at best, maybe 3 as his work clock is winding down and he wants a D-1 job, IMO. Ritna is an outstanding coach, who possibly could give you more years, though I'm not sure on that either. Maybe there's a 3rd guy, like Giacoletti, who may (or may not) settle into Ellensburg as his last couple stops haven't been good.

I know the margin of error at any D2 school isn't good enough to survive frequent job openings. WOU was fortunate to follow a great hire (Bergeson) by a great hire in Shaw. Historically, this has rarely happened in Monmouth. I wanted Bergeson to stay, he had a Colorado background and I think his wife was from there. I get it; I don't get inter-conference moves. I get Looney leaving for Point Loma, San Diego is great. I wouldn't have got it if he'd had moved to WWU or St. Martin's. SPU had a nice run with Ken Bone, Hironaka, and Looney, and I think they have a fine coach in Leep, but the job jumping isn't helping SPU. St. Martin's finally settled on a great coach; if he leaves they might be in trouble again. WWU has had excellent stability; it shows in the W-L column.

NNU, UAF, and MSU-B, have had their moments, and I think Durham was a grand slam hire for them, and I did understand that inter-conference hire, plus he gave seven good years to UAF. NNU has circulated through coach after coach, four or so in the last 15 years. They actually have decent talent, but need coaching stability. They may have found that. Durham will finish it out at MSU-B, which is good for them. UAA has very good coaching stability, I think that's helped them.

Nothing surprises me, however, and CWU may hire Shaw. I still think that's a turd move on his part, whether people like me or not for those opinions, that's fine.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X