X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More off-season news

WOU center signs pro contract. Good quotes from coach Shaw on Vince:

http://wouwolves.com/news/2018/9/5/m...n-germany.aspx

* Tanner Omlid signed a pro deal earlier in the summer, and point guard Malik Morgan is playing minor league ball somewhere in Texas, or something like that.

* UAF coach Greg Sparling offered on a 6-6 Ellensburg High kid, not sure if he committed or not.

* WOU lost promising redshirt frosh guard Rodney Hounshell, transferring out, I think to Lane CC in Eugene. WOU has lost its share of freshmen redshirts over the years, wondering if that's a good option at the D2 level since a lot of guys are already tweaked because they're not playing D-1.

... I need to follow up on other GNAC schools. Feel free to add any more news.

Re: More off-season news

Venters the Ellensburg kid also has an offer from CWU. Uncommitted still I think.

Comment

Western Washington added a transfer from Pt. Loma Nazarene:

https://wwuvikings.com/news/2018/9/7...s-program.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
        Venters the Ellensburg kid also has an offer from CWU. Uncommitted still I think.
        He has offers from Hilo, CWU, and UAF... That's what's listed on VC...

I hear the guys in Fairbanks are extremely happy with the hire of Sparling. While happiness does not win games, it should be a good way to start the season off on a good note... The UAF schedule is out and it shows that Sparling got in here too late. It's awful, but maybe he can find a way to pick up a game or two still between the almost month long break from Dec. 8th - Jan. 3rd. They've got the last segment of the Hawaii/Alaska tournament this year in Hawaii with UAA and they will pick up another game there with Hilo. Then they get a few games of out-of-region teams in Anchorage. They follow that up with the Thanksgiving week tourney in... Billings; looks like Durham did the financially-suffering UAF the favor of inviting them down there for a tourney right before the GNAC season opens there with UAF, so they'll get to hang out in Billings for a half week (ummmm, potentially awkward!). Oh yeah, and they have one home game outside of GNAC home games... on a Monday night with Antelope Valley (the leftover garbage from UAA again-UAA gets them on Friday and Saturday night). :confused: Heard they got a few late signings; one source told me they got some height to help Lendway and Kluting, another source said they didn't get any height, but got some speed???? Who knows! It'll be interesting for sure. https://alaskananooks.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
          He has offers from Hilo, CWU, and UAF... That's what's listed on VC...

I hear the guys in Fairbanks are extremely happy with the hire of Sparling. While happiness does not win games, it should be a good way to start the season off on a good note... The UAF schedule is out and it shows that Sparling got in here too late. It's awful, but maybe he can find a way to pick up a game or two still between the almost month long break from Dec. 8th - Jan. 3rd. They've got the last segment of the Hawaii/Alaska tournament this year in Hawaii with UAA and they will pick up another game there with Hilo. Then they get a few games of out-of-region teams in Anchorage. They follow that up with the Thanksgiving week tourney in... Billings; looks like Durham did the financially-suffering UAF the favor of inviting them down there for a tourney right before the GNAC season opens there with UAF, so they'll get to hang out in Billings for a half week (ummmm, potentially awkward!). Oh yeah, and they have one home game outside of GNAC home games... on a Monday night with Antelope Valley (the leftover garbage from UAA again-UAA gets them on Friday and Saturday night). :confused: Heard they got a few late signings; one source told me they got some height to help Lendway and Kluting, another source said they didn't get any height, but got some speed???? Who knows! It'll be interesting for sure. https://alaskananooks.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
          Wow, I thought Antelope Valley was a JC, looks like they've transitioned to NAIA. Yeah, tough to schedule when you get hired late, they'll have a better slate next year. I'm very interested to see whom they picked up for this year's roster.

Comment

Last edited by hoosierdaddy34; 09-09-2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
              Wow, I thought Antelope Valley was a JC, looks like they've transitioned to NAIA. Yeah, tough to schedule when you get hired late, they'll have a better slate next year. I'm very interested to see whom they picked up for this year's roster.
              Antelope Valley is strong. They won their league and went to the NAIA national tournament last year. I believe UAA played them in California early last season and barely won.

Comment

*I remember Antelope Valley being strong too when UAA played them last year... You beat them and it's an "expected win" but doesn't help your strength of schedule at all. You lose to them and it looks awful... Not the kind of games you want on paper even if they are good learning experiences. I admittedly get very frustrated when we get what I call the "leftover garbage" from Anchorage (the Monday night games after teams have played twice in Anchorage and begrudgingly make the trip north for one more game)... That's the way things are; it isn't right or wrong, but it annoys the heck out of me. Maybe things will change someday, probably not for a while right now. Anchorage is where everything in this state happens, whether the half of the population in Alaska that doesn't live in Anchorage likes it or not.

*Glad to hear that Sparling is going after good AK players. In the mid 2000's when UAF was in the drivers seat for men's hoops in the state, we had maybe a third of the team were Alaskans and they were beating DI teams and the cream of the crop in the GNAC for a good handful of years. Right now they have 4 Alaskans on the roster in Kluting of Palmer (honorable mention GNAC last year?), Baham of Wasilla (also honorable mention?), McCullough & Hornbuckle both of Fairbanks and point guards, both redshirt sophomores. Really excited to see Hornbuckle settle "all in" as a Nook this year~I believe he and McCullough will handle the backcourt. McCullough was great last year, stepping in when Davis was stepping out; he was a real steady hand at the point and played within himself and had some really good games late in the year. Hornbuckle is a lot wilder and plays more of a Sparling type game (that Durham never did up here with the Nooks) so I think he'll find more success under Sparling. Would be great to see them all have a good year!

Comment

Last edited by hoosierdaddy34; 09-22-2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X