Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNAC Games 12/29-31

First game back from the break can be tough, especially on the road, ESPECIALLY in Alaska. And wow SPU got crushed at UAA 85-49. But nice to see SMU get the road win at UAF. Copp is really having a stellar season so far. And CWU, like SPU, was pretty cold and flat tonight at WOU.

I notice SFU just got crushed vs MSUB but then they play again tomorrow vs WWU. Interesting having 2 days in a row of conference games.

Re: GNAC Games 12/29-31

I don't know about it being tough to come back on the road. The nooks seem to be more in hibernation at home than they are out on the road... SMU had their way with everything in the first half. Nooks are really lacking some vocal and emotional leadership on the floor (missing Travante and Slocum who were vocal and emotional in that order!). That said, SMU did a really nice payback favor of executing to a T here tonight (exactly what the Nooks did to them last year at their place coming outa break). Kenilvort, Copp, Ingram and Kitchen all really impress. They are a nice, deep team that plays well together. They held and disrupted UAF's passing game in a big way with UAF well under the season average in assists at only 8.

I didn't see all the "creaming" action coming that happened in the GNAC tonight-not SPU or CWU getting creamed like that anyways. CWU has gotta shore up their rebounding... I think the Nooks got them in that dept too and WOU killed them on the boards tonight and UAF and WOU are not the leaders in the league for rebounding... Anyways, it'll be interesting to see how the creamed (UAF and SPU) rebound on Saturday and I'm thinking it could be a good game in Anchorage on Saturday too with SMU and UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
      I don't know about it being tough to come back on the road. The nooks seem to be more in hibernation at home than they are out on the road... SMU had their way with everything in the first half. Nooks are really lacking some vocal and emotional leadership on the floor (missing Travante and Slocum who were vocal and emotional in that order!). That said, SMU did a really nice payback favor of executing to a T here tonight (exactly what the Nooks did to them last year at their place coming outa break). Kenilvort, Copp, Ingram and Kitchen all really impress. They are a nice, deep team that plays well together. They held and disrupted UAF's passing game in a big way with UAF well under the season average in assists at only 8.

I didn't see all the "creaming" action coming that happened in the GNAC tonight-not SPU or CWU getting creamed like that anyways. CWU has gotta shore up their rebounding... I think the Nooks got them in that dept too and WOU killed them on the boards tonight and UAF and WOU are not the leaders in the league for rebounding... Anyways, it'll be interesting to see how the creamed (UAF and SPU) rebound on Saturday and I'm thinking it could be a good game in Anchorage on Saturday too with SMU and UAA.
      League might be balanced this year -- yes, I was surprised at all the blowouts. I don't think there's a marquee team in the conference this year, like a Final 4 type club. It appears the strength in the west this year is in California.

Comment

SFU took WWU to the very end but fell 103-98. They had it tied at 93 but they couldn't make enough stops in the end. I watched the last 5 minutes. Stafford and Dickson both scored 31 for Western, Wright 28 for the Clan. Both teams shot over 56%. Now if SFU can play that hot more often, they might make some strides this year

Comment

Simon Fraser outshot the Vikings too. Statistically they played a really tight game with Western and I thought when they tied it up they might actually pull it off, and yes, I was totally cheering for them. They played really well the whole night and really turned things around after last night. Perhaps they've found the right coach and if those guys stay there and work the process, the future looks like it has potential for once for the clan. Despite how many points WWU got, I thought SFU played pretty good defense. Hard to hold Stafford and Dickson for anybody in this league.

And for WWU. I'm going with Tsull's read on this one. They have a lot of offensive firepower, but they just don't play defense. I watched them close on that tonight... They might have enough to be at the top or near there in the GNAC, but even after watching them @ UCSD and some other games, I think it's too much individual talent and not enough teamwork and defense. Too hard on them? Maybe, but they are a top 20 team right now, they mighta been rusty after break tonight, but I still smell some lingering problems of the last years hanging around that team.

And yes, I would agree the top West region teams this year reside in California (maybe Hawaii, we'll see). There's a lot of potential in the GNAC and it'll be fun for league play, but we might find ourselves left outta the fun come regional time, outside our auto-bid team and maybe, just maybe one other?

Comment

SFU doesn't get much talk on these boards and nor should they but I am from Vancouver so I figured I would add some talk about them. Their whole history is perhaps for another time but as far as their game against WWU they surprised me greatly with that effort especially considering how disgusting they were against Billings. They are not very talented and their biggest issue is they have no inside presence and have trouble scoring. If I were WWU I would be very concerned at almost giving up triple digits to a low scoring team like SFU. Many of you have posted on here that WWU is not strong defensively which might cost them during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
              SFU took WWU to the very end but fell 103-98. They had it tied at 93 but they couldn't make enough stops in the end. I watched the last 5 minutes. Stafford and Dickson both scored 31 for Western, Wright 28 for the Clan. Both teams shot over 56%. Now if SFU can play that hot more often, they might make some strides this year
              WWU almost gave up 100 to SFU? Really? :confused: :laugh: :victory:

Freaking comical, SFU won't shoot 56 percent the rest of the year. Concordia will take SFU to the woodshed as will many others. WWU will win by playing selfish/gunner ball this year, but they won't advance if they get to the league tourney, or certainly not the regional tourney.

People bagged on the WOU Wolves last year because they weren't this high-flying/dunking team, I think Omlid had 90 percent of the few dunks they had. People here were baffled at team ball and defense and said they were living a charmed life. All season long that was said, no attention to how the team actually played. I got news for people: team ball/defense/rebounding WINS games, not just pure talent.

At the end of the season we'll see the team that plays with purpose, defends, rebounds, takes good shots AND has talent that wins. WWU's lack of defense will eventually catch up to them ... I hope so.

Comment

CWU started cold again vs. Concordia, but then down 20-31 with closed the 1st half with a 20-3 run, and stayed hot to win 80-73. Hunter scored less than 20 points for the first time this season but he had an 18p/10r double-double. With WWU and WOU losing today, this season is really going to be an interesting one and a great opportunity for weaker team like MSUB and NNU to make their move and surprise us.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X