Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crixus View Post
    I just heard a Doctor with the World Health Organization say that he doubts they'll be a vaccine for Covid 19 until the next 12-18 months. So there's a possibility that there won't be a 2020-2021 basketball season. But I'm an optimist and will be hoping for the best.
    My motto right now is: Hoping for a hoop season. I think football season is kaput for this year. Complete, 100% moron idiots like Mike Gundy and Dabo Swinney are saying practices will get going this summer and we'll be ready to go. I guarantee you not one has ever read a peer reviewed science journal in their life. Swinney says because we put a man on the moon we''ll fix this by the fall. Freaking moron. The University of Oklahoma -- yeah, the Sooners -- aren't letting anyone back on campus until August 1st. They're not listening to stupid football coaches, they're listening to scientists.

Yes, next year's hoop season could be in peril and I'd understand why, NYC deaths are climbing right now, rural America is getting hit harder. Here in idaho our numbers keep going up every day -- not down. Stupid, rich football coaches should spend some time in hospitals right now and see how things are going.

Just hoping for a hoop season ... not expecting it, but hoping for one.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

My motto right now is: Hoping for a hoop season. I think football season is kaput for this year. Complete, 100% moron idiots like Mike Gundy and Dabo Swinney are saying practices will get going this summer and we'll be ready to go. I guarantee you not one has ever read a peer reviewed science journal in their life. Swinney says because we put a man on the moon we''ll fix this by the fall. Freaking moron. The University of Oklahoma -- yeah, the Sooners -- aren't letting anyone back on campus until August 1st. They're not listening to stupid football coaches, they're listening to scientists.

Yes, next year's hoop season could be in peril and I'd understand why, NYC deaths are climbing right now, rural America is getting hit harder. Here in idaho our numbers keep going up every day -- not down. Stupid, rich football coaches should spend some time in hospitals right now and see how things are going.

Just hoping for a hoop season ... not expecting it, but hoping for one.

Comment

Boy, I really hope for a season next year too. If I were a football fan, I would be worried too. Vaccines are a ways out. It's possible that they could be ready earlier than a year from now, but that probability is really, really low. We still don't have a vaccine for HIV and we continue to struggle to stay ahead of influenza and develop vaccines each year that will actually target circulating strains.

The U.S. is behind the 8-ball with testing and we are thus flying blind compared to other countries who can see better what's happening and how they'll be able to back out of "lockdown status" without triggering another huge wave of cases. Remember in the 1918 influenza pandemic, there were three waves of deaths due to this strain of flu that was novel, like the coronavirus circulating now. Without better testing the single factor that remains the most important in getting society back to normal is how people behave. If we want to watch sports, we need to break the chain of transmission and stay away from people and follow mandates seriously. I'm surprised to learn in my group of friends locally how many people are twisting the mandates to interpret them as is most convenient for what they would like to be able to do rather than what the mandates are intended to direct us to do and not to do. If we can get enough people to break the chain of transmission it means that the big brains and great minds in the U.S. can shift to figuring out how to back out of this lockdown after we've controlled the initial outbreaks in a way that won't trigger another big wave rather than fighting over ventilators and PPE.

Schools may be open well before everything else gets back to normal though. All models indicate if we loosen up NPIs (non-pharmaceutical interventions, eg school closures, public gathering bans, business closures, etc) there will be a rebound in cases and we will start all over again. Children are different with regard to the fact that they are not as susceptible to this virus, but what is their role in transmission? Sporting events will likely be low on the priority list of restrictions to loosen, due to the huge economic impacts that are going to take precedence over sports when we can start baby-stepping back to normal. The best news sources for what backing out and getting back to normal may look like will come from watching and reading news from other countries that are ahead of us in this pandemic. China is very slowly opening up, Germany is talking about how to do that and getting closer, Norway and Austria too. Sweden and Iceland took very different paths initially and will be interesting too.

My "best case scenario" right this minute is that preseason/non-conference play for basketball may come too early based on models to actually happen, but it might be more likely that timing of the regular season in December or January might be more realistic. Fan restrictions? Maybe. A LOT could happen that we can't predict though. I was wrong about basically everything about basketball over the last few years. I said you guys were clowns for thinking Sparling would come to Fairbanks, amongst lots of other wrong predictions...

Comment

Great post, Northern, and I'll say you're usually right about all things basketball here. I remember when you predicted Tanner Omlid of WOU was a future superstar. I saw good player, you saw star -- he ended up being the West Region D2 player of the year and a first team All-American (maybe 2nd, can't remember). I'm hoping your similar prediction for WOU's Emanuel Gant comes true next year.

Regarding health and the virus, I get on college football message boards -- yeah, perhaps this is a hobby of mine, I don't know how to play video games -- and they are batty. One guy today says they'll be starting up in May. Americans insatiable appetite to be constantly entertained is going to put us in another lockdown. I'd rather lock everything up right now -- maybe even tighter -- like have cops harassing me on my daily walk, so in a couple months we're really out of the woods. We already wasted 2 1/2 months dorking around doing nothing, letting up in May, June, or even July and August is going to raise the body count. I'd rather be ready to go January 1st or even later and be waiving this virus goodbye forever. But we're the U.S., we need our movies, our sports, our entertainment, and we're going to screw this up, I just know it.

* One of California's top health experts said no way football starts in that state until November -- by then it's getting colder, even in Cali, and the virus will spread in that weather. I say shut football down this fall and hope to start hoops by January 1st. Knock it out on the front end so you don't have to keep opening and closing for the next 3 years.

Comment

Yeah, just to keep this going (and to keep it more basketball themed) and maybe even milk it a little, here's one player from each team I'm keeping an eye on next season:

WOU: Gant. I'm not sure the nature of his injury in why I didn't see him play till the end of the season when UAF played them twice in a row, but he's fundamentally sound and pretty good. He caught my eye more than anyone else late in the season.

MSUB: Maduakor. Sure Howard and Richmond return, but it's really who people don't know a lot about that make a difference for teams. Maduakor had some promising moments late in the season.

NNU: Reidy. As a R. frosh, he was already making a big impact this year. I noticed him a lot in Fairbanks when these guys absolutely destroyed us here.

CWU: Hudson or Poquette? I'm at a loss with CWU this year. I'm not sure this is who is looking promising for next year, but the year before I liked these two guys and they weren't generally around this year. I'm not sure, I'll defer to Nation on this one, because this team is a mystery and I didn't follow them very close.

SMU: Adams. Again, not super sure on this team, but Adams was something for everyone else to have to plan for.

SPU: Anderson. He hit it big a few times early in the season and if he can be more consistent and diversify his game, he'll be a terror in the GNAC.

WWU: Ayala! It'll be interesting to see how he fits with WWU and if he gets time. I liked Green too.

SFU: Balata?

UAA: Sweet. Again, interesting to see how he fits in and if he gets time and finds a place in just one season.

UAF: Banks. Lots of promise, work on that confidence!

Comment

Comment

I thought UAA had a great off-season of recruiting. Just read Isiah Moses' bio today -- wow, what a player. Wonder if he's a D-1 guy who slipped through the cracks because he was in Alaska? Nevertheless, I'm glad he's in the GNAC. The Seawolves really helped themselves on the recruiting trail.

I also don't get Osuigwe (sp?) transferring out, that will be four schools? I wouldn't touch the guy if I was a coach. He was going to start at UAA, right? The transfer portal has over-inflated kids' views of themselves, IMO. Some of the portal is good, some not. I think Moses, however, will make them forget about the guys transferring out, great signee.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                  I thought UAA had a great off-season of recruiting. Just read Isiah Moses' bio today -- wow, what a player. Wonder if he's a D-1 guy who slipped through the cracks because he was in Alaska? Nevertheless, I'm glad he's in the GNAC. The Seawolves really helped themselves on the recruiting trail.

I also don't get Osuigwe (sp?) transferring out, that will be four schools? I wouldn't touch the guy if I was a coach. He was going to start at UAA, right? The transfer portal has over-inflated kids' views of themselves, IMO. Some of the portal is good, some not. I think Moses, however, will make them forget about the guys transferring out, great signee.
                  https://twitter.com/ashleyramothh/st...210966016?s=21

The matchup with #1 PG in the country Daishen Nix (UCLA bound) in which Moses had 42 was something. If you search Alaskan Athlete on Twitter on Jan 26th he has some clips of that game on there.

Comment

Great highlight reel, Moses is a serious player, he'll contribute right away, might start.

Comment

I'm here, just haven't been in the mood to think about much of anything right now. As for APU, Rymer is the only starter who wasn't a senior this season, so there's a lot of rebuilding to do. Which hurts, because I would've loved to just have a shot at UCSD.

So, yeah, Rymer is back at the point and has a capable backup in Becvar. Ken West looked promising off the bench as a stretch 4 as a freshman and I look forward to seeing how he develops, and Ben Avera can play either forward spot as well. That said, at a minimum we need a new rim protector and a shooting guard, and I haven't heard anything yet in terms of recruiting as obviously that hasn't been high on anyone's radar lately.

Comment

Last edited by Anchorage; 05-11-2020, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Basketball in Alaska should be exciting next year. Alaska-Anchorage has one of the better freshmen on the west coast in Moses, and UAF has in my opinion the best division 2 player in America in Shabazz.

Comment

Comment

I would say based on the internet Alaska-Anchorage and Central Washington of been the most active on the recruiting trail this spring.

Western Oregon really help themselves in the size department in my opinion and with the red shirts coming up.

I'm curious on whom Northwest Nazarene will bring in. They always add a super talented JC guy from Arizona ranks, Arms, Migwa, Alley, etc., guys who are really good right out of the gate.

Also curious on a few other schools, St Martin's being one, UAF the other if they will bring in more players or not.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X