X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal Baptist moving to D-1/WAC ... don't like it

Now we'll have 356 D-1 teams, of which 250 completely suck:

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/...tic-conference

D-1 is so watered down. Half the guys on these mid-major teams should be D2, or at least 1/4 of them. Heck, Washington State in the Pac-12 has some guys that not only shouldn't be Pac-12, they shouldn't be D-1, not even close.

The NCAA is diluting their product. Most of these D-1's play in barns and average horribly. According to the latest stats, the D-1 average hoop attendance is 2,200. Yes, 2,200.

I liked having CBU in D2 ... they'll soon join the ranks of Bakersfield in being completely irrelevant in athletics; same with Northern Colorado in football.

Re: Cal Baptist moving to D-1/WAC ... don't like it

Went to the Cal Baptist site- didn't find anything about this at all. Nothing on Twitter or Facebook about it. I thought that there was supposed to be an announcement.

I saw the CBU women play in the Elite 8 in Sioux Falls two years ago. Pretty impressive.

There are way too many D1 teams right now at 351. They could drop almost a hundred of these and they wouldn't be missed except as cannon fodder for the big boys.

Comment

College Baseball Daily says that they will be joining in all sports (they don't have football- neither does the WAC). I saw somewhere that the announcement will be at 7:30 Eastern so in about a half an hour.

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/...t-to-join-wac/

Comment

The WAC Announcement will begin at 5:45 p.m. MT: http://wacsports.com/watch/

Comment

I think we're all looking forward to how much they pack their new arena for that first big rivalry game against Chicago State. :confused: Their entire D2 tenure, start to finish, will have been seven years.

Comment

Yep, there is the invitation for 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by SGAstumpJ View Post
              I think we're all looking forward to how much they pack their new arena for that first big rivalry game against Chicago State. :confused: Their entire D2 tenure, start to finish, will have been seven years.
              I think that Chicago State had about 73 freshmen this fall. Their debt is about on par with Haiti. I wonder if this isn't a preemptive move to fill in a member if CSU closes up.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                Yep, there is the invitation for 2018.
                On the path to irrelevancy. Quick, tell me which religious school is killing it in D-1 hoops? Villanova (Catholic) but they're in a major conference.

The NCAA needs to quit letting teams in and kicking some down. Some schools average 500 a game, that's a small school high school girls game.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                  I think that Chicago State had about 73 freshmen this fall. Their debt is about on par with Haiti. I wonder if this isn't a preemptive move to fill in a member if CSU closes up.
                  ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Comment

Originally posted by SGAstumpJ View Post
                    ding ding ding! We have a winner!
                    Chicago State, poster child for leaping too high. They could play D2/D3, have minimal travel expenses, get inner city Chicago kids who can't play D1 and probably win or come close to a D2 national title. Local media picks up on it, etc. (I realize the school might close.)

If I was the CSU A.D., I would've gone D2 and tried to win national titles. No one cares about sucking in D-1.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                      On the path to irrelevancy. Quick, tell me which religious school is killing it in D-1 hoops? Villanova (Catholic) but they're in a major conference.

The NCAA needs to quit letting teams in and kicking some down. Some schools average 500 a game, that's a small school high school girls game.

I do not know what cbu will do with the move, hopefully they don't repeat some mistakes made by others. But there is actually a strong tradition of religious affiliated private schools doing well in hoops.

Dayton, Davidson, La Salle, St. Joe's, St. Louis, Liberty, Valpo, Iona, Siena, Belmont, AND so on. My hope is cbu continues to fund and resource their teams well t is in my opinion they have done that well at D2 by the looks of it. Grand Canyon has made the move from pacWest to D1 pretty well, I mean they won 28 games last year or whatever, hopefully cbu can do the same. I am hesitant to say they are making a mistake, more happy for them than anything.

Comment

I know that North Alabama is going to the ASUN in 2018, and Cal Baptist will be going WAC. I saw that UC-San Diego voted to go D1 but did the Big West ever approve of them as a member?

Comment

Too many D-1 teams, just awful. I watch ball on TV, UCLA isn't even selling out with a great team this year, lots of empty seats. D-1 is not good on TV, no one is attending. A lot of GNAC/CCAA/PacWest teams on a given night would beat 50% or more of the D-1 mid-majors in this country. The Big Sky is awful, 28th out of 32 conferences in RPI, most teams 300 or lower.

Most schools are playing to lose: They're hoping to make the NCAA tourney, get crushed and get $$$. Weird business model.

I'm about winning on the national level, not about participation trophies.

The NCAA needs to put stadium sizes/attendance requiements, and budgets to be D-1. Cal Baptist has nothing in common with Ohio State -- yet they're in the same division.

* In typical fashion, WOU Twitter congratulates CBU on moving up. "Yay, ruin D2! Go Lancers!" God, I swear, I'm tired of D2 being the poor bastard of college athletics. Can't we pump up D2 instead of cheering those who leave? I don't get my alma mater a lot of the time, I really don't. We can't get a full football league so instead of working with basketball-only schools in adding football, we cheer for their exit out of D2. I'd rather have football and be D2 than be D1 without football.
                          Last edited by tsull; 01-13-2017, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                            Too many D-1 teams, just awful. I watch ball on TV, UCLA isn't even selling out with a great team this year, lots of empty seats. D-1 is not good on TV, no one is attending. A lot of GNAC/CCAA/PacWest teams on a given night would beat 50% or more of the D-1 mid-majors in this country. The Big Sky is awful, 28th out of 32 conferences in RPI, most teams 300 or lower.

Most schools are playing to lose: They're hoping to make the NCAA tourney, get crushed and get $$$. Weird business model.

I'm about winning on the national level, not about participation trophies.

The NCAA needs to put stadium sizes/attendance requiements, and budgets to be D-1. Cal Baptist has nothing in common with Ohio State -- yet they're in the same division.

* In typical fashion, WOU Twitter congratulates CBU on moving up. "Yay, ruin D2! Go Lancers!" God, I swear, I'm tired of D2 being the poor bastard of college athletics. Can't we pump up D2 instead of cheering those who leave? I don't get my alma mater a lot of the time, I really don't. We can't get a full football league so instead of working with basketball-only schools in adding football, we cheer for their exit out of D2. I'd rather have football and be D2 than be D1 without football.
                            Agreed.

Considerations:
                            - Budget
                            - Enrollment
                            - Endowment
                            - Academic Rating
                            - Facilities
                            - Support Structure
                            - Town Population

Comment

Thanks, Brandon. I post on some other boards and I'm just amazed how many people think this is a good thing CBU is moving up. Ribbons for everyone. There is absolutely no incentive to be good in D-1 if one can just collect $$$ from pay day games. It's the worst model ever. It seems like everyone in this country would like 500 D-1 teams. No one has B.S. detectors anymore. D-1 hoops is a fraud, even the vaunted Big Dance is a fraud. I'd rather see it at 48 teams and get rid of the bad teams.

My friend had a good idea: Your league has to be in the top 12 RPI to get a team in the NCAA tourney. There can be a few at-large teams, maybe 3 or 4. Make these programs work for it. There's no incentive to build arenas and sell tickets to those arenas. It's a huge fraud.

I like the European soccer league model: You suck, you get sent to the lower league and you have to play your way up. The college hoops D-1 regular season means nothing now. D-2's regular season is more competitive, one has to get to the top 8 in the region to get to the touarney and that's tough. ESPN is talking about 11 ACC teams getting in. Where in society do you beat your chest, "We're number 11!"

God, what a fraud.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X