Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOU has a good backup forward in the portal in Colin Warmouth, a fantastic prep signee when they got him, Roseburg High's all-time leading scorer. Also, a near 4.00 GPA kid, I think pre-med, all-GNAC academic. He's exactly the kind of player I don't like to see leave as WOU keeps moving into being the University of Northern California and South Seattle U. more and more each year. In my opinion, we've lost a lot of our in-state identity in all sports (baseball signing class had ZERO in-state kids), I wish that would change.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
      WOU has a good backup forward in the portal in Colin Warmouth, a fantastic prep signee when they got him, Roseburg High's all-time leading scorer. Also, a near 4.00 GPA kid, I think pre-med, all-GNAC academic. He's exactly the kind of player I don't like to see leave as WOU keeps moving into being the University of Northern California and South Seattle U. more and more each year. In my opinion, we've lost a lot of our in-state identity in all sports (baseball signing class had ZERO in-state kids), I wish that would change.

Comment

Two years ago the football program at WOU signed 25 kids -- all in-state. I was impressed and I'm thinking a lot of those kids will go on to be stars.

In basketball we just went 9 and 20-something with a bunch of out-of-staters. The school has been dropping in enrollment for awhile now, despite that the state is gaining in population. I knew several kids when I was a student who attended because a friend of their's was on the football, hoop, track, etc., team, and told them it's a good place to go to school. Also, whenever I go to homecoming I see former players there, 100% of them are from Oregon. I never see the Cali kids return. I really don't get it, but I don't expect WOU to make changes, they just kind of shrug their shoulders and say, "It is, what it is." Baseball had zero kids from in-state in their recruiting class, ZERO. Men's hoops had zero last year, soccer and women's hoops recruit mostly out of state. They're adding men's soccer next year, he's signed a few in-state kids. Track even goes to the state of Washington to get guys with very slow times.

I can reel off the top players in football and men's basketball and all of them are from Oregon and most are from small Oregon towns, including WOU's two NFL guys. The top two men's hoopsters in school history (IMO) are Andy Avgi and Tanner Omlid, from those big metro areas of Woodburn and Monmouth, respectively.

WOU is out-thinking it. Losing a fine in-state player with good grades is very disappointing. Why am I supposed to support this? There has to be reasons beyond that I'm an alum. Each program has to have an identity and a purpose, not just a bunch of Californians who are there one day and never to return the next. I've heard the prep coaches in the state aren't happy about WOU's out-of-state identity.

Comment

GNAC champion Jahvonta Jones is transferring from Fairbanks

Comment

WWU guard Erwin Weary Jr is walking on at Central Michigan. If you have never heard of him, it is because he redshirted in 2019-20, WWU season canceled in 2020-21, then only played in 6 games last season in which he averaged over 11 ppg.

Comment

https://twitter.com/xsmith_11/status...99735559364611

Xavier Smith forgoes final year to pursue pro career. He mentioned NBA in his tweet and while I doubt he will find a job there, he could be pretty successful overseas

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
                https://twitter.com/xsmith_11/status...99735559364611

Xavier Smith forgoes final year to pursue pro career. He mentioned NBA in his tweet and while I doubt he will find a job there, he could be pretty successful overseas
                He'll get in an overseas league, which is good. If this guy is mentioning NBA he is 100% delusional. He had a hard time getting off the bench at Idaho, when they won 1 game; he had a tough time getting off the bench at Oregon State before the glorious year. Where do they get these delusions of grandeur? It's the bar band thinking they're the Rolling Stones. If he wants to play pro in Europe, go for it. Tanner Omlid was named MVP of the top Portugal league; WOU has 2 other guys playing overseas. It can be done out of D2. Just don't talk NBA unless you're off the charts good, like NWMSU's Trevor Hudgins, and he probably won't make the NBA, and he's a zillion times better than Xavier Smith.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X