Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchorage
    replied
    As bad as UAA has been playing…what happened to CWU tonight? They seemed completely out of sorts all night long. The final 10 point margin really wasn’t indicative of how the game went.

I was thinking a lot of this could be style as well, CWU plays really small like the Seawolves. They weren’t really able to bludgeon the UAA inside like most teams are.

This is still just a disaster season up here, can’t stand how these UAA coaches are coaching this year. UAA is a program that just needs to go in a different direction. It’s stale, boring and zero excitement…even in a big win. The women draw big crowds and have a great fan base while the Men’s team…the community is very apathetic about. That rests squarely on this coaching staff which isn’t getting it done.

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    More math: A loss of football at a school like WOU, which costs $25,000 a year total for tuition room & board, etc. times 350 students (100 football players + students who want to watch football + people who actually like businesses in town) equals $7.5 million a year. That's playing it conservative, it's probably more like a loss of 500 students.

The problem is A.D.'s/bean counters/admin, don't factor in enrollment costs, loss of local businesses, people like me who travelled 100's of miles to go to home games and stay in nearby lodging.

Just a quick note: Within the last 20 years, Humboldt State had consistently over 8,000 students. They cut football and are currently bragging about their 2% enrollment gain this year to get them to 5,500. The loss of enrollment came right around when they cut football. Not sure about others, but if I worked at a college that lost 3,000 in enrollment in a decade or less, I'd consider doing something like bringing back football. Humboldt's enrollment losses have cost them upwards of $75 million.

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    Originally posted by Anchorage View Post

I get what you are saying but just talking about the financial realities that D2 programs that had football lost a million dollars more on average than those that didn’t. When a public university is looking to close a 10 million dollar budget gap…that’s why some of these schools are shuttering football instead of other sports. It’s a huge expense.
    It is expensive, it is worth the investment. Good D2 football schools that have cut football have lost six figures to a million in donations, enrollment (taking 100+ men out of college paying tuition), and businesses shuttering. The losses in cutting the sport are equal if not greater than keeping it. It's just that most bean counters at colleges have the imagination of a gnat and can't figure the ripple affect of cutting a school's most popular sport. Also, if businesses shutter in a small town, hundreds of kids on college tours will not enroll in the school. Losing 100 kids -- remember, on scholarship is still paying full tuition as they are not funded by the school -- is also a killer. Those students are not replaced as enrollment/admissions employees have the same imaginations as your bean counter.

Leave a comment:

• Anchorage
    replied
    Originally posted by tsull View Post

Football is a solid investment if done correctly. It's the largest attended event in Polk County, Oregon, by far. It's one of the only events that brings alumni back to campus on a regular basis, and most of the time in good weather, too. It's more of a celebration of our student-athletes, coaches, the athletic dept., and the school. I love hoops; they got 74 people for a game this year. Even in bad years, WOU football gets 1,500 or more for a game and a long time ago when they were NAIA they went 0-9 and sold out every game. I'm not sure what Humboldt State told the local Arcata businesses -- probably cowardly said nothing -- but I've heard some quality businesses went out of business thanks to no more Saturday football games, and Humboldt was averaging 7K or more a game and had a feature on their game day in the New York Times. I've yet to read as big a story about Humboldt in The NY Times since, not even for their whacky weed. Monmouth, Oregon, finally has a decent downtown (it was a dry town up until 2000 or so) with some great places to eat and drink. I guarantee you they shutter if you drop football. (Note: FCS football loses more than D2 football; and 80% of FBS schools lose money, too, should they drop the sport?)

That said, it seems kind of insane Pacific Northwest schools have to go to Texas to play football games. I know it's not supported or advocated, but I think in the long run for WOU it's better to go D2 independent and play only West Coast schools than to continue to dump money into a Texas conference when WOU has been to national playoffs zero times in D2 and three times total in the last 50 years, all in NAIA.

But football has a fun spot on college campuses, even small colleges. Well, I like it and will speak for myself and not the ghost town colleges that have zero going on in the fall and draw poorly in basketball, too.
    I get what you are saying but just talking about the financial realities that D2 programs that had football lost a million dollars more on average than those that didn’t. When a public university is looking to close a 10 million dollar budget gap…that’s why some of these schools are shuttering football instead of other sports. It’s a huge expense.

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    Originally posted by Anchorage View Post
    If you aren’t drawing tens of thousands to each game, football is unsustainable without the university willing to make a huge investment to keep it.

according to the NCAA in 2019, a D2 athletic program that has football averages losing about a million a year. more than a D2 athletic program that doesn’t have football. It’s an expensive sport.

As colleges, especially public institutions, are facing more and more budget cuts? More and more will be dropping football. It’s an economic reality most D2 schools are staring at.
    Football is a solid investment if done correctly. It's the largest attended event in Polk County, Oregon, by far. It's one of the only events that brings alumni back to campus on a regular basis, and most of the time in good weather, too. It's more of a celebration of our student-athletes, coaches, the athletic dept., and the school. I love hoops; they got 74 people for a game this year. Even in bad years, WOU football gets 1,500 or more for a game and a long time ago when they were NAIA they went 0-9 and sold out every game. I'm not sure what Humboldt State told the local Arcata businesses -- probably cowardly said nothing -- but I've heard some quality businesses went out of business thanks to no more Saturday football games, and Humboldt was averaging 7K or more a game and had a feature on their game day in the New York Times. I've yet to read as big a story about Humboldt in The NY Times since, not even for their whacky weed. Monmouth, Oregon, finally has a decent downtown (it was a dry town up until 2000 or so) with some great places to eat and drink. I guarantee you they shutter if you drop football. (Note: FCS football loses more than D2 football; and 80% of FBS schools lose money, too, should they drop the sport?)

That said, it seems kind of insane Pacific Northwest schools have to go to Texas to play football games. I know it's not supported or advocated, but I think in the long run for WOU it's better to go D2 independent and play only West Coast schools than to continue to dump money into a Texas conference when WOU has been to national playoffs zero times in D2 and three times total in the last 50 years, all in NAIA.

But football has a fun spot on college campuses, even small colleges. Well, I like it and will speak for myself and not the ghost town colleges that have zero going on in the fall and draw poorly in basketball, too.

Leave a comment:

• Anchorage
    replied
    If you aren’t drawing tens of thousands to each game, football is unsustainable without the university willing to make a huge investment to keep it.

according to the NCAA in 2019, a D2 athletic program that has football averages losing about a million a year. more than a D2 athletic program that doesn’t have football. It’s an expensive sport.

As colleges, especially public institutions, are facing more and more budget cuts? More and more will be dropping football. It’s an economic reality most D2 schools are staring at.
    Last edited by Anchorage; 01-30-2023, 10:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• the tav
    replied
    Funny how Western Washington University and Humboldt State University both dropped football and both basketball programs are Trash 🗑 Money not well spent. 😷

Leave a comment:

• CWU Wildcat Nation
    started a topic Central edges Western in Bellingham!

Central edges Western in Bellingham!

The ONE YEAR I don't go to the Central/Western game in Bellingham CWU gets the 84-82 win! Their first road win at Western in 7 years since the 2015-16 season. Wildcats had 15 offensive boards leading to 17 2nd chance points which seemed to be the difference maker to offset WWU's 48% 3-point shooting and 92% FT shooting. https://wildcatsports.com/news/2023/...conquered.aspx

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X