Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile, both CWU teams got spanked on the road. I'm not sure if men were even in it with UAA, but the women got railroaded in the second half by Western.

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post
      Meanwhile, both CWU teams got spanked on the road. I'm not sure if men were even in it with UAA, but the women got railroaded in the second half by Western.
      Looks like their two 20 ppg scorers Huerta and Cai were held to a COMBINED 15 points! Can't have that happen!

Comment

Anyone have Thursday's MSUB vs St Martin's men's game circled on your calendar? Huge contest. Same with Saturday's NNU vs. Anchorage women's game. I know it's not for the GNAC lead, but it seems like each year one/both of those teams are factors in the GNAC race.

Comment

I booked my hotel for next week's Central-Western game. Holding off on tickets for a few more days to see how weather forecast pans out for the pass.Looking forward to seeing the new arena!

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
            I booked my hotel for next week's Central-Western game. Holding off on tickets for a few more days to see how weather forecast pans out for the pass.Looking forward to seeing the new arena!
            I'll find you at the game, but regardless, I'll come to the boards to get your opinion. Walk around the entire complex!

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
              Yeah, sorry about the newspaper paywall. I tried to attach the full article in a pdf, but it was too big to upload here. The summary is that they are not speaking to what kind of leave Sparling is on, but it's not punative at this time. Not speaking to timeline, but Drew Hedman is now acting head coach and Milo Griffin is now acting assistant. I don't know much about Drew, accept that he was clear that he is up for the challenge, and is from Alaska and cares about this team. He's done really well thus far. He got the team to Hawaii, they beat Hilo and lost a close one the next day and then came home and took UAA to OT, which is always hard. I rag on UAA a lot, but they definitely have more consistency than we do and they always get up for their games against us, so it's never easy to hang with them, let alone pick off a win.

Milo Griffin on the other hand, is a legend in Fairbanks. Maybe they are the right team to pilot the ship this season and see if they can keep the team in the thick of things in the GNAC and make these guys want to stay here and finish their eligibility with the Nooks. They have had far too much turnover of eligible players every season for a while now, and always having to start from scratch every year makes it hard.

Yeah, Fairbanks is a nice place to live, there's great community here, although the sport community is more focused on hockey and nordic skiing, but in rural Alaska, basketball is king. The women's team faces the same challenges with lots of coaches coming and going, the team is in the basement, etc. I'm wishing Drew and Milo a really great rest of the season. I hope he can do as he said in the article: "whatever happens, we're going to roll with it as a team; I'll continue to coach and my guys will continue to work hard". That's really all we can do; carry on and do the best we can.

Looking forward to the games up here again this week!
              Milo Griffith was a legend, and old, when I went to elementary school up there in the 80s! The man has to be about 80 years old. My goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by Anchorage View Post

Milo Griffith was a legend, and old, when I went to elementary school up there in the 80s! The man has to be about 80 years old. My goodness.
                Yeah, coming home from one of the home games last week, my friend and I were trying to guess at Milo's age and we were def thinking at least in his 70s. Drew Hedman is really young and Milo ought to have the wisdom that comes with age, so maybe they are a good team. They don't have a good record thus far and got blown out more than a few times in non-con games early on, but as of late, I have really liked how they are playing with Drew and Milo in charge, even though it hasn't quite translated into wins... They've been in every game, played decent defense, been a bit more organized than usual, and seem to be slowly getting their turnover issues under control. They just are struggling with scoring efficiently and continually don't have much in the way of 3 point shooters.

Hopefully they will rebound today from whatever weather and travel issues delayed their game with Simon Fraser yesterday... I watched a bit of the UAA / WWU and the MSUB / SMU games last night; both were entertaining!

Comment

Oooof. I shoulda stayed quiet about the Nooks, they are having an awful time in Burnaby!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X