Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNAC portal guys

Verbal commits shows a lot of movement in the GNAC. Key one I thought was NNU's outstanding guard Tru Allen. A few guys from WOU out of there ... talented point guard Qiant Myers, who was never on the roster this year; and half the roster listed didn't play. Fort WOU Knox never revealed why so I'll guess it's grades and criminality. See what not telling people does? Rumors fly. It probably isn't criminality, but when half the freaking roster doesn't play, what's up? The A.D. and coach Pifer just keep their fans away. Don't get me started on our women's program, it appears that coach still has a job, too.

Anyway, WWU losing some guys, St. Martin's a bunch, but their main guys intact.

https://verbalcommits.com/conferences/gnac

Wow, even more WWU guys transferring out now. They look like they are losing a good chunk of their major contributors from this past season now.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
      Wow, even more WWU guys transferring out now. They look like they are losing a good chunk of their major contributors from this past season now.
      Wouldn't touch those guys with a 10-foot pole, they took a proud program and kept them out of the league playoffs. These guys either have inflated views of themselves or aren't tough enough ... or both. I'll go with both.

Comment

As long as CWU can recruit quality players and build off a good season and great finish going into 24/25, I'm happy. And if that's at the expense of the rest of the GNAC, I'm happier. LOL

Comment

I was surprised to see Maui Sze leave SPU. He doesn’t have the size or dynamic athleticism at his size to jump to D1 and honestly he’s just a solid D2 guard, good floor general. Be interesting to see where he ends up.

Im also interested if UAA hangs on to their guys. They already had lots of seniors but with Lentfer, Barrientios and Tosi (he’s good…got injured after the 3rd game) back? That is at least a good start on the next years team. But if any of them leave it’s going to be a steep rebuild for Rusty. They have those two freshmen from Idaho/utah but neither of them showed me much. Seem to be quite a bit off from contributing consistently.

Comment

Yeah, from the looks of things thus far, CWU is sitting pretty going into the off-season with a really young team that went far, and I think MSUB keeps most of their guys too, with the exception of a few? WWU seems to be losing a lot, and I think there's big questions around SMU, SFU, SPU, WOU, UAA, and UAF. Of course, until we have a permanent head coach in place, we're already many steps behind everyone else, nevermind the recruiting woes to Fairbanks. UAF also graduated the majority of it's regular contributors this year, while retaining only a few guys who had significant time, so next season certainly looks like a building year and not much more. If guys start hitting the portal, we'll be another, brand new dumpster fire, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
              Yeah, from the looks of things thus far, CWU is sitting pretty going into the off-season with a really young team that went far, and I think MSUB keeps most of their guys too, with the exception of a few? WWU seems to be losing a lot, and I think there's big questions around SMU, SFU, SPU, WOU, UAA, and UAF. Of course, until we have a permanent head coach in place, we're already many steps behind everyone else, nevermind the recruiting woes to Fairbanks. UAF also graduated the majority of it's regular contributors this year, while retaining only a few guys who had significant time, so next season certainly looks like a building year and not much more. If guys start hitting the portal, we'll be another, brand new dumpster fire, for sure.
              I do think CWU and MSUB have it going right now, St. Martin's to a certain extent.

Regarding WOU, I think coach Pifer is returning. For his sake, the school's and fans' sakes, I hope he gets the program back to where it's competitive. Do I have faith in this happening? Not right now. I'm not sure why half the roster didn't suit up last year, they've put a muzzle on our sports information director. The athletic dept. is very secretive. They don't have to reveal everything, but keeping the fans up to date might be a good thing.

WOU needs help across the board, guards, forwards, posts, there's little talent in the program. Ignoring the state of Oregon to get below average players from California has been a disastrous formula in winning and building a fan base and community. I did notice that they recently signed a player from Lane CC/Ashland, so that's a start. I'd guess if this coaching staff was in place years ago they wouldn't have gone on Andy Avgi or Tanner Omlid, both D2 West Coast players of the year. Yes, ego and arrogance come into play. But coach and staff can change this. Reach out to Oregon prep coaches, look at some in-state players. If Pifer digs his heels in with his same formula, we will lose again.

Comment

Seth Dawson leaving CWU is no surprise. As the season went on, he played less and less as the freshmen developed. He is a decent player who deserves to play more.

But wow wtf is happening at WWU? Johnson, Wilson, Kolly, and Welp? Wow!

Comment

Delete
                  Last edited by CWU Wildcat Nation; 03-28-2024, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Update on the former WWU starters in the portal:

Kai Johnson transferring to Montana: https://nbcmontana.com/sports/local-...rd-kai-johnson

Nick Welp has offer from Idaho

BJ Kolly getting a ton of D1 interest https://x.com/ThePortalReport/status...81523672682553

Haven't heard any Will Wilson updates

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
                      Update on the former WWU starters in the portal:

Kai Johnson transferring to Montana: https://nbcmontana.com/sports/local-...rd-kai-johnson

Nick Welp has offer from Idaho

BJ Kolly getting a ton of D1 interest https://x.com/ThePortalReport/status...81523672682553

Haven't heard any Will Wilson updates
                      Some of these guys are D1 only in name and will sit the bench at that level. But 100% of college athletes think they're better than they really are.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Some of these guys are D1 only in name and will sit the bench at that level. But 100% of college athletes think they're better than they really are.
                        i was just reading about how NIL has changed the game in college coaching, there is an exodus of successful small college coaches looking for jobs at mid to high major D1 programs for the NIL money in regards to recruiting. Who otherwise might have stayed at their school.

I suspect players who have a great scholarships and ordinarily would have stayed are now being drawn to the money. If Idaho has 400k in NIL money to play with and a guy like Welp can secure 20 or 30k, and WWU has no NIL money? That changes the equation a little bit. The rich are going to continue to get richer.

Comment

Welp will probably be a backup but Johnson and probably Kolly should transition well to D1.

Comment

Former CWU guy Rose, who went to Walla Walla cc, really struggled at Idaho this past year. Idaho was not a good team either. He had a couple good games but not many.

Comment

Johnson and Kolly are clearly D1 quality (at least when healthy), I don't think anyone is surprised to see them going up. Wilson has a skill set that could succeed at that level if he finds the right fit.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X