Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verbal commits

I see CWU and UAA have offered on Dallon Morgan, a 6-9 player out of an Arizona JC. Here's the issue with me is that he's from a Salem, Oregon, high school (Sprague) that is the closet Salem school to WOU. We've already gotten our a$$es kicked two years in a row by 3 Salem guys at St. Martin's. I REALLY hope Pifer and staff have offered on Morgan. If not, I wonder what he's looking for? At last look CWU won the league and WOU was last. We make things too complicated.

Sorry to see that WOU isn't in the running.............but I hope he chooses CWU!

Maybe it's a cash thing. This wouldn't come as a shock to anyone who follows WOU, but I'm wondering if all these issues stem from coaches and admin losing focus and momentum because there just isn't enough money. So we can't offer any or as much money to players, can't pay enough, so a quality coach goes away and a coach not ready for the big time comes in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post
      Sorry to see that WOU isn't in the running.............but I hope he chooses CWU!

Maybe it's a cash thing. This wouldn't come as a shock to anyone who follows WOU, but I'm wondering if all these issues stem from coaches and admin losing focus and momentum because there just isn't enough money. So we can't offer any or as much money to players, can't pay enough, so a quality coach goes away and a coach not ready for the big time comes in place.
      Our basketball program is funded well with scholarship money and recently received a $95,000 donation from an alum's brother. The basketball alumni group is a strong one. Also the lack of money doesn't wash when we recruit all out of state and don't recruit in state. In state players are much less expensive. I don't get the argument that we won't recruit in-state because we lack money. That makes no sense to me. Not ripping on you but the logic escapes me. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Our basketball program is funded well with scholarship money and recently received a $95,000 donation from an alum's brother. The basketball alumni group is a strong one. Also the lack of money doesn't wash when we recruit all out of state and don't recruit in state. In state players are much less expensive. I don't get the argument that we won't recruit in-state because we lack money. That makes no sense to me. Not ripping on you but the logic escapes me. Sorry.
        Not ripping on me, I hear what you're saying. WOU Athletics is just down and it looks like it'll take some time before they're up. And I agree, funding out of state recruiting doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post

Not ripping on me, I hear what you're saying. WOU Athletics is just down and it looks like it'll take some time before they're up. And I agree, funding out of state recruiting doesn't help.
          Thanks, I'd agree with being down, actually since I've been following it, this is the worst year I've seen in WOU athletics. Football 3-8, men's hoops last, women's hoops last and forfeited games; our strong baseball program has a losing record, and on and on. There seems to be a huge disconnect from alums who care and an administration that seems passive. Of course they care, but I truly wonder what's going on. I do think we make it too difficult with all the out-of-state recruiting. It's no secret that in-state prep coaches aren't happy with WOU athletics right now because the school just won't recruit in-state -- except for track and field, that coach knows what he's doing. He wins, too. I'd try to make a strong regional/community athletic program. We are far from that. I'm not sure the school could give a fan their mission statement for athletics because I don't think they have one. They are far from what they used to be and they simply think they're doing things right and us fans are all wrong. It's very odd. No info goes out to fans either other than game scores on the internet. It's very odd.

Comment

CWU could definitely use him and another big for next season. They have the guards. They just need to add some post size. Like the guys Sparling used to recruit (Niles, Stroud)

Comment

Is it just the simple fact that the kid wants to move up and play on a winning team?

Comment

Morgan committed to CWU!

https://twitter.com/SpragueMBB/statu...00984082854198

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
                  That seems like a big win for CWU. He had a lot of offers including UAA. It’s always great to win an inter-conference recruiting battle.

Comment

Originally posted by SPWOU View Post
                    Is it just the simple fact that the kid wants to move up and play on a winning team?
                    This is a good get for Central Washington Uuniversity. It's disappointing to me because this current coaching staff at Western Oregon completely ignores its own state, they make no relationships with any of the high school coaches. Now and then they'll get a JC player like Benzel, who was pretty good. But he is coaching a small, regional college that is in the state of Oregon. Building a losing program without state kids is a horrible formula. Morgan is from Sprague High School, which is extremely close to Monmouth, where Western Oregon University resides.

Not long ago WOU's pretty decent basketball program was built on the foundation of Oregon kids. I don't think the current coaching staff would even take the two WOU West Coast Division 2 players of the year, from Oregon small towns, if he had been the coach. Actually I can guarantee it. Also, I'm confident our previous two Western Oregon coaches would have been in the running to get Morgan, if not had signed him. Not taking anything away from Central Washington, that was a good hire they made, their coach knows what he's doing. I'm sorry I can't give this latest WOU coaching staff of free pass after driving the program down to last place.

Comment

CWU also adds a HS guard from North Central (Spokane) in Eli Williams

https://twitter.com/SelectHoopsUSA/s...33334132654196

Aaaaand CWU just added some major size, like Donovan Clingan size! I made a separate topic thread for that though.

Comment

Solid times for CWU football and basketball. Great seasons for both and recruiting looks like it's just adding to the arsenal.

Comment

Cats in the know, what is up with the Peppers?

Comment

Well Levi redshirted last year. As fr Noah I reckon he was dealing with injuries and sat out all year.

Comment

Not that verbal commits is the end all in recruiting news but it's a pretty darn good website to find out what's going on. Last year I said Western Oregon was getting crushed in recruiting based on verbal commits, and it was correct.

Once again we're having a recruiting season with no one signing, no news out there because our athletic department is a locked vault, one decent player transferring out. Not many decent players last year. Half the team didn't suit up.

I'm not sure how this basketball program continues with the current coaching staff if they don't sign quality players, don't tell their fans when they sign quality players, and don't build anything within their local community, which is the state of Oregon and the Willamette Valley.

I guess they just collect their checks. The athletic director appears to be good with it, which is stunning to me. Meanwhile Central Washington and others are signing players left and right. We are just getting crushed in Monmouth. I don't get it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X