Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Sparling officially out at UAF

Nothing too surprising here in that Sparling is out and it appears the university and Sparling have agreed to not say anything about why. The newspaper article indicates that a freedom of information act request about the "why" was denied and also says it is unclear whether Hedman will become head coach or they will open up the job search and Hedman could be among the applicants...: https://alaskananooks.com/news/2024/...asketball.aspx

It's a state university, they need to comply with the Freedom of Information Act.

Comment

According to my source, he made some sort of inappropriate/offensive remark toward the beginning of the season. Don't know the details or context.

Comment

I didn't hear that. I heard it was more of the performance of the team in the classroom coupled with rough W/L records. We'll probably never know because those who do know will probably keep it to themselves. All I know is this..........under Spar's tutelage, the Nanooks made it to the Sweet 16 in 2022. They got hot at the right time of the season. Huge win for them that year.

Comment

I know quite a few basketball people in the state and I’ve heard this from a couple places independently of each other. I can tell you his program was a bit out of control. Players did what they wanted. Stars on the team like Shabazz and others would just disappeared and didn’t go to practice for a couple days. Significant partying on the team…he never really had any control. Just a lack of structure and holding guys accountable up there for years now. Looking at how erratically those Shabazz teams played until finally focusing and making that run in the playoffs? Something clearly was causing them to play under their ability and so inconsistently. What transpired on the court seemed to back up those reports.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X