Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a problem with VSU being ranked No.1

Yes I'm a Blazer fan and yes I hope we go undefeated again but...

We have a new coach! Which means a new offense has to be installed. There are elite teams that made deep playoff runs last year, returning great starters to proven programs - Ferris State for example returns the Harlon Hill winner. On talent alone I could see us in the top 25 but we have no clue how well our guys have taken to the new offense. How can we be the best when we don't even know what we have.

we've never won a NC as a front runner so to do so would indicate growth and that would bode well for us going forward but historically VSU has finished outside the top ten every year following a NC. With a new coach I think we're more in the 11 to 15 range. Mind you I hope we prove me, I guess we'll see.

Originally posted by boyblue View Post

We have a new coach! Which means a new offense has to be installed. There are elite teams that made deep playoff runs last year, returning great starters to proven programs - Ferris State for example returns the Harlon Hill winner. On talent alone I could see us in the top 25 but we have no clue how well our guys have taken to the new offense. How can we be the best when we don't even know what we have.

we've never won a NC as a front runner so to do so would indicate growth and that would bode well for us going forward but historically VSU has finished outside the top ten every year following a NC. With a new coach I think we're more in the 11 to 15 range. Mind you I hope we prove me, I guess we'll see.
    In other words you don't think they should be highly ranked because "we've never won a NC as a front runner"

VSU should be ranked #1 until someone proves they shouldn't be #1 on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post

In other words you don't think they should be highly ranked because "we've never won a NC as a front runner"

VSU should be ranked #1 until someone proves they shouldn't be #1 on the field.
      No actually I'm really thinking more about the fact that a new coach changes so much. A good deal of our success was attributable to coach Bell and add to that the fact that there's a whole new playbook to learn. I guess it's just a matter of plugging in last year's champ into that slot.

Comment

It honestly was a tough one because I'm a big believer in teams coming in hungry after being so close to winning it all. Even with the new coach I went with the experience on the field at VSU. Ferris returns a lot but last I heard Campbell wasn't practicing yet and there seems to always be some type of controversy with them. I think MN State is the team to beat after VSU. When you can have 2 or 3 legit pro players on the field matched up against some kid who is just happy to be on the field it creates huge mismatches. Plus they are traditionally tough on the lines. I guess we will see how the new offense and coaching looks. The schedule sets up nicely for you. Your hard OOC game is at home and you don't have a tough road game until maybe Delta State but if not your only tough road game is the last game of the year. Nice schedule setup.

Comment

No actually I'm really thinking more about the fact that a new coach changes so much. A good deal of our success was attributable to coach Bell and add to that the fact that there's a whole new playbook to learn. I guess it's just a matter of plugging in last year's champ into that slot.
          It's hard to repeat. Has only happened 8 times in the past.

New coaching staff has been here since before spring practice. His offense was installed and learned back then by most who'll be playing this fall. Reinstalled at beginning of camp.

Goff has a very aggressive mindset on offense and has a lot of tools to execute it with. Offensively I just hope we can stay relatively healthy through the season (especially on the line).

I've been to several practices both spring and during camp. I'm impressed with the coaching staff across the board. A good mix of guys from the previous staff along with Goff's guys. Quality guys and quality football coaches that seem to work well together. I think they'll be fine.

Takes a bit of good fortune to win a championship but I don't think the defection of K Bell decreases our chances. We just need to stay healthy.

That said, if I were a coach I'd rather be ranked 20th and be able to talk about how we've been disrespected rather than ranked on top and have that target on our backs.
          Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 08-24-2019, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I thought NW fans were the only sandbaggers.....

Comment

In the D2 world, the reigning champs are pretty much always preseason number one.
              Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Comment

Worst humble brag thread ever

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                  I thought NW fans were the only sandbaggers.....
                  They're definitely the best at it...

It's a well developed art form for the Bearcat faithful.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

They're definitely the best at it...

It's a well developed art form for the Bearcat faithful.
                    They learned it from Mel T.

Comment

Is he going to be able to go? I haven't heard an update.
                      Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

They learned it from Mel T.
                        Didn't he teach a class on it???

Comment

I was like, "Yeah, I also have problem with Virginia State being ranked No. 1!"

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X