Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalifOKRA
    replied
    This is an interesting topic. Is it pretty rare for schools to move down?

Leave a comment:

• 4_tattoos
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post

UC-Davis has been a playoff team. They were up on Cal yesterday, lost but gave them a really good game.
    Ohhh. What about Sac State, Cal Poly and San Diego?

You know what. Now that I think about it, San Diego has had a recent playoff appearance. Don't remember how far they advanced though.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
    Are any of the California based FCS schools good at that level? Honestly I can't think of any CA team in about the last 20 years that have made a deep playoff run in FCS.
    UC-Davis has been a playoff team. They were up on Cal yesterday, lost but gave them a really good game.

Leave a comment:

• 4_tattoos
    replied
    Originally posted by tsull View Post
    Northern Colorado in the Big Sky, Sac State and their bad football program and 1,200-seat hoops gym, and no attendance in either program.
    Are any of the California based FCS schools good at that level? Honestly I can't think of any CA team in about the last 20 years that have made a deep playoff run in FCS.

Leave a comment:

• 4_tattoos
    replied
    Off the top of my head there's 3 schools from the MEAC that probably should be in D2 based on the fact they've all had recent financial issues go public. Bethune-Cookman, Norfolk State & South Carolina State.

Bethune-Cookman and SC State in particular because their situations are/were so bad that chatter began about the schools possibly closing. SC State is a public university so that probably wouldn't have happened to them. Bethune-Cookman is private though, they don't have the safety net of a state university system to save them in case **** hits the fan.
    Last edited by 4_tattoos; 09-01-2019, 06:33 PM. Reason: Somebody replied before I could lol

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    Chicago State (no football), school is on the verge of closing, yet they hang onto D-1 athletics in the Western Athletic Conference. Surely, there's a nearby D2 conference they could play in. They're 500-person hoop crowds would be no more indifferent to the change.

Northern Colorado in the Big Sky, Sac State and their bad football program and 1,200-seat hoops gym, and no attendance in either program.

To be honest, about half of the 355 men's D-1 hoop programs should be D2. If you draw 500 or so a game in hoops, you need to quit chasing the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world ... and I don't care about you once catching lightning in a bottle in a post-season tournament and losing by 50 in the first round of the NCAA tourney as a 16 seed. You don't belong.

Leave a comment:

• 4_tattoos
    started a topic FCS schools that should probably be in D2

FCS schools that should probably be in D2

A conversation with a friend of mine earlier led to talking about low tier Division 1 colleges (all sports). I forget what her exact occupation is, but businesses (and I guess some colleges) call in people from her field whenever they're having financial issues and need help figuring where cuts could/should be made. She pretty much said whenever the low level D1 schools have those type of issues, the first suggestion made is usually to move the athletic program to Division 2 depending on how bad the situation is. When that's suggested she said they all pretty much give an "ego driven excuse" on why the school can't do that.

I know financial problems are the primary reason teams move down divisions in NCAA, but there are other reasons as well. So I'm curious to know which schools Division 1 FCS schools (let's limit this to schools with football) you guys think should be in Division 2 and why?
    Last edited by 4_tattoos; 09-01-2019, 07:51 PM.

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X