Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boyblue View Post

As coach you should know and follow the rules but at the end of the day the kids should never be punished,they are in fact the victims.
    If this was an ineligible player, PED in the locker room or hacking opponents data then yes, you lose the championship. Using a coach's car should maybe make the school ineligible for next year's playoffs, suspend the coach for a season or two, but not this overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post

Athletes need to get somewhere sometimes, especially in these small towns where colleges are located, with very little transit services offered. They weren't given cars for extended use, a short loan, twice, and the car broke down. Curse these boosters and giving kids Bentleys to drive. If a kid needs a car to use, wouldn't we want it to be the coach to loan it to him, not a booster?
      Well, this is the same NCAA that punished Boise State for improper housing benefits to potential recruits by having them sleep on dorm room floors of players' dorms.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Well, this is the same NCAA that punished Boise State for improper housing benefits to potential recruits by having them sleep on dorm room floors of players' dorms.
        If I remember right, the NCAA also listed washing a car with a garden hose as a violation for Boise.

I could name school after school- rarely are the big name programs punished, and of course when they are, people complain how unfair it is. But the little guys- well, what advantage is it to self-report?

As my former principal said after the Gophers got nailed (again)- "They don't even know how to cheat- they try and and they still lose!"

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

If I remember right, the NCAA also listed washing a car with a garden hose as a violation for Boise.

I could name school after school- rarely are the big name programs punished, and of course when they are, people complain how unfair it is. But the little guys- well, what advantage is it to self-report?

As my former principal said after the Gophers got nailed (again)- "They don't even know how to cheat- they try and and they still lose!"
          LOL I'm serious, intent should be the clear divider in terms of severity. I guess their response is coaches would then purposefully not know rules but willful neglect is easy enough to detect.

Comment

I think the penalty was appropriate. The coach gave a player a benefit (free use of a car) in violation of NCAA rules. Giving that player a car made him ineligible by NCAA rules. Coach chose to play an ineligible player. If a team plays an ineligible player, they forfeit the game.

That said, who does "vacating" the D3 National Championship really effect? It's not like the players are going to "forget" their undefeated season...not like they are going to forget their playoff run and winning the NC game...not like the boosters are going to un-write the donation checks they wrote after the NC game. Vacating/forfeiting games from previous seasons is about as meaningless of a penalty as you can have.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              I think the penalty was appropriate. The coach gave a player a benefit (free use of a car) in violation of NCAA rules. Giving that player a car made him ineligible by NCAA rules. Coach chose to play an ineligible player. If a team plays an ineligible player, they forfeit the game.

That said, who does "vacating" the D3 National Championship really effect? It's not like the players are going to "forget" their undefeated season...not like they are going to forget their playoff run and winning the NC game...not like the boosters are going to un-write the donation checks they wrote after the NC game. Vacating/forfeiting games from previous seasons is about as meaningless of a penalty as you can have.
              Disagree completely.

Comment

!??!!?? Are you serious?!?!? NCAA punished a school for THAT !??!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Oh yes. I think of that as a disincentive rather than a benefit. There were a whole list of "violations" that included that and improper use of university property (the water hose to wash a car). It would be laughable if I didn't know what UNC and Kentucky and a whole list of big time schools have done and it gets swept under the rug. There is no common sense used at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

yes, they lost scholarships for it too. It was likely because they had become to big of a Group of 5 school winning all of their New Year's bowl games. Here is the Bleacher Report about it, although Tennis did deserve what it got per the article: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...a-got-it-wrong

Comment

yes, they lost scholarships for it too. It was likely because they had become to big of a Group of 5 school winning all of their New Year's bowl games. Here is the Bleacher Report about it, although Tennis did deserve what it got per the article: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...a-got-it-wrong
                      Thank you for the article. Wow...the wonderful "perfect" NCAA....

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X