Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Permanent College Closing Tracker

With the COVID-19 situation taking its toll on higher education, it's expected that many colleges are going to close permanently. We've already seen a few close, and I've seen lots of discussion on the board in various threads - I thought it would make sense to keep track of it all in one thread, for anyone interested.

Here's a good tracker - they are very loose with the term "closure" (as it's not always a black/white ordeal) - so no, Henderson State is not "closing." That being said, it's still the best tool I've found for keeping up with the closures. I'll also be posting every permanent closure in the OP from ~March onward.

https://www.educationdive.com/news/t...dation/539961/

EDIT: This looks like the same list but is presented in a better timeline format.

https://www.educationdive.com/news/h...e-2016/539379/

To make this list a little more clear - here are a couple guidelines;

-"Closure" is defined as a school ceasing operations at a physical campus - this includes mergers where the school leaves campus.
    -I am only posting schools whose closing date is in March, 2020 and onward.
    -Closing date is based on the announcement of the closure, not the final day of operations.
    -For simplicity, this list assumes that COVID-19 played a significant role in closures announced in 3/2020 and beyond. Many of these schools were already in financial trouble and on the brink of closing anyway - but we're assuming COVID-19 pushed them "over the edge," if you will.

(School Name, Location, Primary Athletic Affiliation)

MacMurray College, Jacksonville Illinois, NCAA DIII (UMAC)
    Nebraska Christian College, Papillion Nebraska, NCCAA
    Urbana University ("Franklin University - Urbana"), Urbana Ohio, NCAA DII MEC
    Holy Family College, Manitowoc Wisconsin, NAIA
    Johnson and Wales, North Miami, Florida, NAIA
    Johnson and Wales, Denver, CO, NAIA
    Concordia-New York, Bronxville, NY, NCAA DII
    Last edited by SW_Mustang; 03-10-2021, 04:17 PM.

In the case of Henderson State (AR); does that mean their current students are being absorbed by other institutions in the Arkansas state collegiate system? (I assume Henderson St. is in that system at present:).

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
      In the case of Henderson State (AR); does that mean their current students are being absorbed by other institutions in the Arkansas state collegiate system? (I assume Henderson St. is in that system at present:).
      I don't think Henderson is closing, just merging with the Arkansas State U system. There are Reddie fans on here who should be able to tell us more.

https://thecollegepost.com/henderson...ersity-merger/

Comment

The following is from the Arkansas State-Henderson State merger agreement and transition plan.

Henderson State University will become a member campus of the Arkansas State University System and, as a member of the System, will not be a branch campus or satellite campus of any institution in the ASU System at any time, unless required by a state or federal law or by an accrediting body. The ASU System agrees to maintain and oversee operations of Henderson State University as an institution of higher learning in the state of Arkansas and in the ASU System. This Agreement is entered into so that both parties can provide for sound growth of and sustain Henderson as a first-class university according to a plan of transition calling for specific action by the ASU System and Henderson. This Agreement is entered into so that Henderson will be fully merged into the Arkansas State University System, which will be the surviving legal institution and which will continue to be governed by the laws of the State of Arkansas with the ASU System receiving and assuming, upon the date of transfer, the assets and liabilities of Henderson to the extent provided herein

Press release: HSU Board approves agreement and transition plan to join ASU System

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I don't think Henderson is closing, just merging with the Arkansas State U system. There are Reddie fans on here who should be able to tell us more.

https://thecollegepost.com/henderson...ersity-merger/
          Yes, they are merging with the ASU system.

I could be wrong, but technically I think that means the legal entity we know as "Henderson State University" gets replaced. That's why it made the list that I posted. No, the school is not "closing" like we'd think of a school closing. The new school will claim the history, alumni, and records of the "old" school.

We may see them rebranded, and their administrative structure will change - but there will still be a university in Henderson. From our perspective, they'll just be changing names.

Legal stuff is complicated though - so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
          Last edited by SW_Mustang; 05-05-2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

I think I read in the GAC forum that it will remain "Henderson State."

Comment

Redready can give the correct information. My understanding is nothing is changing at Henderson State except now the operation of the school will be overseen by the administration in Jonesboro. There will be no name change and no effect on athletics. In a sense, Henderson State is just moving from independent status to the ASU system. The ASU Board of Trustees will add two seats with those two board members chosen having knowledge specific to HSU and to represent HSU. This is simply an arrangement that might be similar to when UM-Duluth joined the UM-Twin Cities system, albeit for different reasons. Arkansas-Monticello was an independent school before its operations were brought into the UArk system in Fayetteville.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                I think I read in the GAC forum that it will remain "Henderson State."
                That would make the most sense.

ASU changed the names of other schools that merged into the system, but they aren't under any obligation to do so if they don't want too. I was just operating under the assumption that they would.
                Last edited by SW_Mustang; 05-05-2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                  Redready can give the correct information. My understanding is nothing is changing at Henderson State except now the operation of the school will be overseen by the administration in Jonesboro. There will be no name change and no effect on athletics. In a sense, Henderson State is just moving from independent status to the ASU system. The ASU Board of Trustees will add two seats with those two board members chosen having knowledge specific to HSU and to represent HSU. This is simply an arrangement that might be similar to when UM-Duluth joined the UM-Twin Cities system, albeit for different reasons. Arkansas-Monticello was an independent school before its operations were brought into the UArk system in Fayetteville.
                  In Vermont, Johnson State College and Lyndon State college merged to form the University of Northern Vermont - each campus retained it's athletic department, but "Lyndon State" and "Johnson State" both ceased to exist, technically speaking. That was the logic I was operating under in regards to the specific term "merger."

ASU has merged a few schools into it's system and has changed the name to "ASU-[town]," so I made the assumption they would do the same with Henderson State. There's no obligation to do so however, and it makes more sense to not do so.

As far as UMD - you are correct, they were established in 1947 when the Normal School became a branch of the U of M system. I wonder how that all works on the MSU side of things... Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

That would make the most sense.

ASU changed the names of other schools that merged into the system, but they aren't under any obligation to do so if they don't want too. I was just operating under the assumption that they would.
                    There could also be a strategy of keeping the name in place so the transition occurs now and the name change occurs at a later date when it's more palatable.

Comment

In Vermont, Johnson State College and Lyndon State college merged to form the University of Northern Vermont - each campus retained it's athletic department, but "Lyndon State" and "Johnson State" both ceased to exist, technically speaking. That was the logic I was operating under in regards to the specific term "merger."

ASU has merged a few schools into it's system and has changed the name to "ASU-[town]," so I made the assumption they would do the same with Henderson State. There's no obligation to do so however, and it makes more sense to not do so.

As far as UMD - you are correct, they were established in 1947 when the Normal School became a branch of the U of M system. I wonder how that all works on the MSU side of things... Interesting.
                      I get the logic you're following. I looked again at the "merger agreement and transition plan" linked above and the following quote might be the answers you seek. The Henderson State President will now be known as the Chancellor and will report to the President of the ASU System. Using another similar example; when Tarleton State joined the Texas A&M system they kept their name and history.

II. Institutional Programming and Traditions
                      III. Institution Name

The Henderson Board of Trustees voted on October 24, 2019, to retain the name of Henderson State University. Where appropriate, the name will be followed by language indicating the University is a member of the ASU System. The ASU System recognizes the importance to the Henderson State community that the name Henderson State University be retained. The ASU System shall at all times use reasonable efforts to maintain the name Henderson State University. The name Henderson State University shall not be changed by the ASU System unless it is required to be changed by law or unless the Henderson State University Board of Visitors and the ASU System Board of Trustees jointly agree to a change.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

I get the logic you're following. I looked again at the "merger agreement and transition plan" linked above and the following quote might be the answers you seek. The Henderson State President will now be known as the Chancellor and will report to the President of the ASU System. Using another similar example; when Tarleton State joined the Texas A&M system they kept their name and history.
                        Ohhhhhh - Thanks for digging that bit out for me. Like I said, changing the name makes no sense - but they have done so after mergers with other schools. I guess I didn't read that far into the document. ASU has done a few of these mergers and it seems like the name has always changed. College of the Ouachitas is now ASU - Malvern as of 1/2020.

This isn't directly applicable to anything we're talking about, but I thought the wording was interesting. HSU was founded as a private college, so they're not the second oldest state university, just the second oldest under state control. Neat!

The ASU System also recognizes that Henderson is the second oldest university in Arkansas under state control.

Comment

It's too bad Vermont didn't also have a Baines State College that merged with the other two aforementioned colleges and the merged school took the name Lyndon Baines Johnson University. Everyone would have been confused why the school was Vermont and not Texas.

Comment

Ohhhhhh - Thanks for digging that bit out for me. Like I said, changing the name makes no sense - but they have done so after mergers with other schools. I guess I didn't read that far into the document. ASU has done a few of these mergers and it seems like the name has always changed. College of the Ouachitas is now ASU - Malvern as of 1/2020.

This isn't directly applicable to anything we're talking about, but I thought the wording was interesting. HSU was founded as a private college, so they're not the second oldest state university, just the second oldest under state control. Neat!
                            The ASU System also recognizes that Henderson is the second oldest university in Arkansas under state control.

Somehow, I don't think "ASU-Arkadelphia" sounds as fluid as "Henderson State" - it's probably just as well they're keeping the HSU name.

Also, not to be nitpicky, but College of the Ouachitas is actually ASU-Three Rivers, not ASU-Malvern.
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

(1)Somehow, I don't think "ASU-Arkadelphia" sounds as fluid as "Henderson State" - it's probably just as well they're keeping the HSU name.

(2)Also, not to be nitpicky, but College of the Ouachitas is actually ASU-Three Rivers, not ASU-Malvern.
                              1 - Exactly. Keeping the name the same makes the most sense.

2 - You are correct! I'm not sure why I substituted the town name for the name of the college. Good catch.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X