Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ashland moving from GLIAC to GMAC for fall 2021

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ashland moving from GLIAC to GMAC for fall 2021

    https://goashlandeagles.com/general/...20200518e5pdhh

    I anticipate this will shake up SR1 a bit. My assumption is that Ashland is going to finish undefeated or with 1 loss for...quite a while.

  • #2
    Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
    https://goashlandeagles.com/general/...20200518e5pdhh

    I anticipate this will shake up SR1 a bit. My assumption is that Ashland is going to finish undefeated or with 1 loss for...quite a while.
    I wouldn't be so sure about undefeated or one loss every season. I don't see Findlay going anywhere, Hillsdale isn't going to be an easy out and I can't help but think that ODU will be quite formidable. That's not to say Ashland won't be good - I have no reason they won't be - but I think it speaks volumes as to how the GLIAC has all but turned into a two-team league between Grand Valley and Ferris (and I'm talking about post-Ashland departure).
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

      I wouldn't be so sure about undefeated or one loss every season. I don't see Findlay going anywhere, Hillsdale isn't going to be an easy out and I can't help but think that ODU will be quite formidable. That's not to say Ashland won't be good - I have no reason they won't be - but I think it speaks volumes as to how the GLIAC has all but turned into a two-team league between Grand Valley and Ferris (and I'm talking about post-Ashland departure).
      For the most part, nothing in GLIAC Football will change with an Ashland departure. Ashland is a solid program - no doubt about it. But the two best programs are still in the league. Grand Valley and Ferris State have historically been the best two programs in the MIFC/GLIAC.

      I was interested to see if my thoughts on the subject were supported and this is what I found regarding program accomplishments as members of the GLIAC in the 20-year history of D2Football.com.

      Grand Valley
      32-9 Playoff Record - 4 National Championships

      Ferris State
      12-6 Playoff Record - 1 Championship Appearance

      Saginaw Valley
      2-7 Playoff Record (Ranked #1 in 2003 at one point)

      Ashland
      2-5 Playoff Record

      Hillsdale
      1-2 Playoff Record

      Michigan Tech
      0-2 Playoff Record

      It should also be noted that Northern Michigan has a national championship.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Brandon View Post

        For the most part, nothing in GLIAC Football will change with an Ashland departure. Ashland is a solid program - no doubt about it. But the two best programs are still in the league. Grand Valley and Ferris State have historically been the best two programs in the MIFC/GLIAC.

        I was interested to see if my thoughts on the subject were supported and this is what I found regarding program accomplishments as members of the GLIAC in the 20-year history of D2Football.com.

        Grand Valley
        32-9 Playoff Record - 4 National Championships

        Ferris State
        12-6 Playoff Record - 1 Championship Appearance

        Saginaw Valley
        2-7 Playoff Record (Ranked #1 in 2003 at one point)

        Ashland
        2-5 Playoff Record

        Hillsdale
        1-2 Playoff Record

        Michigan Tech
        0-2 Playoff Record

        It should also be noted that Northern Michigan has a national championship.
        Right. GLIAC is basically losing its #3/#4 team, and fringe playoff participant. I think of Ashland and SVSU as being on pretty even ground, with Ashland just being ahead as of late.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

          Right. GLIAC is basically losing its #3/#4 team, and fringe playoff participant. I think of Ashland and SVSU as being on pretty even ground, with Ashland just being ahead as of late.
          I was going to say that exact thing re. Ashland/Saginaw Valley.

          People didn't read into it, but essentially what you posted is "the third best program in our conference is now going to dominate your region." I don't think that will happen because schools typically regress to the "average" of what they are facing in conference, but I did understand your statement.

          The closest comparison I could come up with is Central Missouri/Fort Hays in the MIAA. When people think of the MIAA, they think of Northwest Missouri and Pittsburg State. If that league were to lose Central or Hays, it would take away from the depth of the conference but the identity would not change.

          Comment

          Ad3

          Collapse
          Working...
          X