Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police presents at upcoming D2 Football Games?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    On more serious note, I believe we need to take a long, hard look at how we currently police our communities. As well, crime rates tend to be significantly higher in areas that have limited economic opportunity. Maybe funding and work to correct that might lessen the need for additional police funding.
    Well said.

The job of the police isn't to reduce the crimes being committed, it's to catch the "bad guys" after the crime has been committed. Finding ways to reduce the crime rate is a better long term solution for everyone. There's no perfect fix, obviously - there will always be some crime, but there are better ways to handle it than what we have now.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
    I know, right? Can't we all just get along?

The "they" may very well be MPD150 . Their mission is pretty clear: working towards a police free Minneapolis

Meanwhile....
    THE DEMANDS OF THE COLLECTIVE BLACK VOICES AT FREE CAPITOL HILL TO THE GOVERNMENT OF SEATTLE, WASHINGTON

No, it's about allocating resources to where they are best used. Calling an LEO to handle a mental health issue is like calling a plumber to tackle a building fire. It has nothing to do with just "getting along."

I've lived in Minnesota my entire life and this is the first time I've heard of "MPD150." Seems like they are a fringe group. It's probably a good thing they aren't going to get their way - although it seems like the media is succeeding in making people afraid that they are.

Seattle is a different beast entirely. I've only been there once, so I can't really tell you what's going on there.

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' Cat
    replied
    On more serious note, I believe we need to take a long, hard look at how we currently police our communities. As well, crime rates tend to be significantly higher in areas that have limited economic opportunity. Maybe funding and work to correct that might lessen the need for additional police funding.

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
    A couple of things in particular could really negatively effect college football and basketball this year.

1. COVID-19 (especially if we see an uptick in cases)

2. Cities and towns with colleges that try and quickly jump on board in defunding their police to the point that there's not enough on-duty or off-duty officers to maintain civil peace and security at games. The ramifications could be huge and other options would not be nearly effective or simply wouldn't work. Based on past problems and fights, in a lot of high school games in NC with (with police security) you have to go through medal detectors just to get through the gates or doors.
    I leave my medals at home when I go to games. First, it is tacky, and second, I don't want to set off a detector because of my greatness.

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
    Defund the Grammar Police!
    When Spelling Primers and Grammarly are outlawed, only outlaws will have Spelling Primers and Grammarly.

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

A prime example of why we should defund police and reinvest in our education system. How ironic...
    I thought it meant that we were getting presents from the police.

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

The article never specifically says who "they" are for the most part. Teenagers? Elected officials? Who are "they?" The article does say this though...
    Their plan doesn't seem half bad. Reallocate funds into other resources to prevent the crime from happening in the first place, and create different teams to handle specific situations that probably don't need an LEO to begin with, like a mental health crisis. Then use law enforcement to target the actual crimes, reducing the possibility of violence. That's what I got out of it.
    I know, right? Can't we all just get along?

The "they" may very well be MPD150 . Their mission is pretty clear: working towards a police free Minneapolis

Meanwhile....
    THE DEMANDS OF THE COLLECTIVE BLACK VOICES AT FREE CAPITOL HILL TO THE GOVERNMENT OF SEATTLE, WASHINGTON

The Seattle Police Department and attached court system are beyond reform. We do not request reform, we demand abolition.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

I don't know what "we" really believe.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/06/us/wh...rnd/index.html
    The article never specifically says who "they" are for the most part. Teenagers? Elected officials? Who are "they?" The article does say this though...
    Disbanding police altogether falls on the more radical end of the police divestment spectrum, but it's gaining traction.

Their plan doesn't seem half bad. Reallocate funds into other resources to prevent the crime from happening in the first place, and create different teams to handle specific situations that probably don't need an LEO to begin with, like a mental health crisis. Then use law enforcement to target the actual crimes, reducing the possibility of violence. That's what I got out of it.

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Do we really believe they're going to pull police off the streets in every major US city?
    I don't know what "we" really believe.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/06/us/wh...rnd/index.html

Those seeking to disband police consider defunding an initial step toward creating an entirely different model of community-led public safety.

Leave a comment:

• EastStroud13
    replied
    It's honestly pretty straightforward. "Defund the police" means "reduce the amount of funds allocated to the police". It does not need to be more complicated.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

Earlier we were told that "Defunding the police means no more military equipment, not taking police off the streets." It's just not the case. Here's another opinion or intention or something semantically similar.
    Maybe it is all semantics. Perhaps there are multiple meanings to phrases used. The question becomes whether to take it seriously or literally?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...y-mean/612904/

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

I was just setting hair thinking their are otter post two sea that may bee, ore seam two bee, moor excessible to reed ore right about, butt eye may bee wrong. Wheel sea.
    MR Pigs. MR not Pigs. OSAR. LIB MR Pigs!

Leave a comment:

• Eagle74
    replied
    Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    The grammar police missed the opportunity for several good jokes here. They need to be retrained.
    I was just setting hair thinking their are otter post two sea that may bee, ore seam two bee, moor excessible to reed ore right about, butt eye may bee wrong. Wheel sea.

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    Also, sometimes the grammar police aren't trying to discredit your post. They just think it's funny when they read it.

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    The grammar police missed the opportunity for several good jokes here. They need to be retrained.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X