Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluefield State College Football

Two West Virginia TV stations are reporting that Bluefield State College will be adding football. No official release on the school site yet.

Eleven other sports are also being added for 2021-22:
    * Acrobatics & Tumbling
    * Bowling
    * Women's Golf
    * Women's Soccer
    * Men's and Women's Swimming & Diving
    * Men's and Women's Track & Field Indoor
    * Men's and Women's Track & Field Outdoor
    * Wrestling

WVVA: Bluefield State announces return of football program, eleven additional sports

WVNS: Football returns to Bluefield State College; eleven new sports added to athletics department

That could be another nice trip for Notre Dame College.

Comment

It's official. Bluefield State to add 12 New Sports

This is a big undertaking. Bluefield State currently has 10 sports and adding 12 sports including football in only 12 months. The school is doing campus improvements as well. Could this put them in a position to join the Mountain East? I don't believe the CIAA would be an option anymore with 6 of the new sports and 2 of the current BSC sports not sponsored by the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
        It's official. Bluefield State to add 12 New Sports

This is a big undertaking. Bluefield State currently has 10 sports and adding 12 sports including football in only 12 months. The school is doing campus improvements as well. Could this put them in a position to join the Mountain East? I don't believe the CIAA would be an option anymore with 6 of the new sports and 2 of the current BSC sports not sponsored by the conference.
        2 puzzlers.... In our current situation how does any "state" college justify the expenditures necessary to do this ? On their site they claim to be an HBCU and yet their enrollment is 86% white and 7% black?
        https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...ege-in-america
        Last edited by CALUPA69; 08-16-2020, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Where do they expect to play their football games? Will they share Bluefield High stadium or will they explore a on campus stadium?
          Last edited by shipfbfan1; 08-17-2020, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

2 puzzlers.... In our current situation how does any "state" college justify the expenditures necessary to do this ? On their site they claim to be an HBCU and yet their enrollment is 86% white and 7% black?
            The term "HBCU" is an official designation from the federal government. Bluefield State is on the list.

https://nces.ed.gov/COLLEGENAVIGATOR/?s=all&sp=4&pg=1

My understanding is that the term is based on the foundations of a college or university and isn't exactly reflective of the current enrollment status (hence the "H").

That's about all I know.

Comment

My thoughts on the matter can be summarized thus: https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status...33504914698241

Comment

As SW_Mustang noted, Bluefield State is federally recognized as an HBCU based on the foundation or "roots" of the institution. The "H" in HBCU means Historically. Bluefield State's student population could be 100% white and they still are an HBCU.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                  Where do they expect to play their football games? Will they share Bluefield High stadium or will they explore a on campus stadium?
                  An on-campus stadium would likely be a 4-5 year project. It takes a long time to go through the design, planning, fundraising, etc. I'd assume they'll take the path of Seton Hill and use a high stadium to get started.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                    My thoughts on the matter can be summarized thus: https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status...33504914698241
                    Hahahaha!! As I recall, the strategy did indeed payoff!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Hahahaha!! As I recall, the strategy did indeed payoff!
                      I see they are independent, correct? Do you guys feel they will join a conference, and which one? I'm not sure if they are closer to the MEC or the GMAC?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

An on-campus stadium would likely be a 4-5 year project. It takes a long time to go through the design, planning, fundraising, etc. I'd assume they'll take the path of Seton Hill and use a high stadium to get started.
                        I would think they would use Mitchell Stadium in WV. That's were they played through 81 when they canceled football. Mitchell is a 10,000 seat municipal stadium that currently hosts Bluefield College VA (an NAIA team) as well as the two local High Schools.

Comment

From the official statement...250 new students. That's all you really need to know!

The VAST majority of these new students will be receiving no athletic scholly $'s so will be paying their full tuition and now (new on-campus dorm just opened) paying R&B.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

I see they are independent, correct? Do you guys feel they will join a conference, and which one? I'm not sure if they are closer to the MEC or the GMAC?
                            MEC would be the better fit, but I have no idea if the MEC wants them. If I'm not mistaken didn't Bluefield State get left out by the old WVIAC members when the MEC got formed? Granted AB just came back to the fold so maybe the addition of the extra sports will open up a place for them. Also, with UNCP joining the Conference Carolinas I can only imagine their associate membership will be short lived (CC will have 5 football schools soon).

They wouldn't be a bad fit for the CIAA, if the CIAA would increase their sponsored sports (bring back Men's Tennis and Baseball for starters). Bluefield State has a history of scheduling a few CIAA schools each season in various sports. Plus Bluefield State to JCSU, WSSU, and Livingstone are all decent trips of about 2.5 hours or less. I also see they are starting Women's Bowling which is sponsored by the CIAA and not the MEC or GMAC, so I don't know if that's any sign.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

MEC would be the better fit, but I have no idea if the MEC wants them. If I'm not mistaken didn't Bluefield State get left out by the old WVIAC members when the MEC got formed? Granted AB just came back to the fold so maybe the addition of the extra sports will open up a place for them. Also, with UNCP joining the Conference Carolinas I can only imagine their associate membership will be short lived (CC will have 5 football schools soon).

They wouldn't be a bad fit for the CIAA, if the CIAA would increase their sponsored sports (bring back Men's Tennis and Baseball for starters). Bluefield State has a history of scheduling a few CIAA schools each season in various sports. Plus Bluefield State to JCSU, WSSU, and Livingstone are all decent trips of about 2.5 hours or less. I also see they are starting Women's Bowling which is sponsored by the CIAA and not the MEC or GMAC, so I don't know if that's any sign.
                              Going with the line of thinking about adding Bowling and being sponsored by the CIAA; I'll counter with Bluefield State adding Acro & Tumbling which has been a MEC sponsored sport for two seasons.

Bluefield State left the CIAA in 1955 to join the WVIAC the same year and was left behind when the MEC formed. In the possibility of when UNCP Football moves to the Carolinas, Bluefield State could replace them as the 12th team.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X