Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Super Bowl Halftime Shows

This year's Super Bowl halftime show by the Weekend was described as being pretty unforgettable, but for many, not in a very positive way at all. I can understand how having to perform in front of a limited number of fans would possibly be difficult, but a lot of the reviews haven't been very kind. Who would you rate as your top 3 favorite Super Bowl Halftime shows from the past 15 years?

2021: The Weekend

2020: Jennifer Lopez and Shakira

2019: Maroon 5 with Big Boi and Travis Scott

2018: Justin Timberlake and the Tennessee Kids along with the University of Minnesota marching band

2017: Lady Gaga

2016: Coldplay, Beyonce, Bruno Mars, Mark Ronson and the University of California marching band

2015: Katy Perry, Lenny Kravitz, Missy Elliott and the Arizona State University marching band

2014: Bruno Mars, Red Hot Chili Peppers

2013: Beyonce and Destiny's Child

2012: Madonna, LMFAO, Nicki Minaj, M.I.A. and Cee Lo Green

2011: The Black Eyed Peas, Usher, Slash

2010: The Who

2009: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

2008: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

2007: Prince and the Florida A&M marching band

2006: The Rolling Stones

1) Prince

Huge gap

2) Shikira's hips

3) Meh, I guess I remember Bruno Mars being entertaining

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post
      1) Prince

Huge gap

2) Shikira's hips

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend this NFL Films production on his halftime show - they go into some details about what went on behind the scenes before the show.

Anyway - I don't usually stick around for the halftime shows. I've since gone back and watched Justin Timberlake, and I really liked that one. Though by that point I was really tired of Prince tributes. I did watch last year's for some reason. It was okay.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post
        1) Prince

Huge gap

2) Shikira's hips

I'd never heard of Bruno Mars but was very impressed by his show. Maybe I enjoyed it more though due to the halftime score and not being nervous about the game at that point as a Seattle fan. Black Eyed Peas with Slash was another one I really enjoyed and of course all the rock bands which I see stopped around 2010.

Comment

1. Prince (great guitar solo)

2. Bruno Mars / Red Hot Chili Peppers show

3. Shikira

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
            1. Prince (great guitar solo)

2. Bruno Mars / Red Hot Chili Peppers show

3. Shikira
            I forgot that guitar solo from Prince! Even though he was more pop than rock he was a great rock guitarist.

Comment

An HBCU Battle of the Bands is the only halftime show the Super Bowl needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I'd never heard of Bruno Mars but was very impressed by his show. Maybe I enjoyed it more though due to the halftime score and not being nervous about the game at that point as a Seattle fan. Black Eyed Peas with Slash was another one I really enjoyed and of course all the rock bands which I see stopped around 2010.
                Nothing official, but we speculated back in the day that this was due to the JT/JJ incident - they wanted to bring in older bands to "clean up the image." Again, not sure if that's actually the case or not, but it makes sense. Just for a few years until everyone forgets, then it's back to normal.

Bruno Mars is a great performer, IMO. Probably one of the best of the generation. That's coming from someone who doesn't normally listen to pop music, for whatever it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Nothing official, but we speculated back in the day that this was due to the JT/JJ incident - they wanted to bring in older bands to "clean up the image." Again, not sure if that's actually the case or not, but it makes sense. Just for a few years until everyone forgets, then it's back to normal.

Bruno Mars is a great performer, IMO. Probably one of the best of the generation. That's coming from someone who doesn't normally listen to pop music, for whatever it's worth.

Comment

I try to be open-minded when it comes to music. So many people write artists off for the dumbest reasons. If someone legitimately doesn't care for Bruno's music, that's fine - but I think most of his detractors are people who just don't like "new" music in general, because it's not what they are used too.

He can sing, he can dance - and he can do both at the same time while making it look effortless. That's the very definition of talent. Ariana Grande is one of the best vocalists of all time, and Katy Perry's music is some of the most fun. That's all coming from a guy who loves punk rock.

But yeah - same thing with sports. I'm not the biggest fan of Kevin Durant, but I could watch him shoot free-throws all day. The ball just floats out of his hands and drops into the basket like it's on a conveyor belt. It's like the Ken Griffey Jr.'s swing equivalent of free-throw shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I try to be open-minded when it comes to music. So many people write artists off for the dumbest reasons. If someone legitimately doesn't care for Bruno's music, that's fine - but I think most of his detractors are people who just don't like "new" music in general, because it's not what they are used too.

He can sing, he can dance - and he can do both at the same time while making it look effortless. That's the very definition of talent. Ariana Grande is one of the best vocalists of all time, and Katy Perry's music is some of the most fun. That's all coming from a guy who loves punk rock.

But yeah - same thing with sports. I'm not the biggest fan of Kevin Durant, but I could watch him shoot free-throws all day. The ball just floats out of his hands and drops into the basket like it's on a conveyor belt. It's like the Ken Griffey Jr.'s swing equivalent of free-throw shooting.
                      I think you nailed it. Talent should be appreciated. I admit though, some of these performers I suspect do have talent, but then I see lip-syncing. It's not most of the SB performances, but some of them. Sorry, if you're on on of THE biggest stages, I expect live.. actually darn near demand live.

As for ranking the SB performances, I have to give a shout to the Aerosmith, Nsync, etc. It was just fun and a pretty good mix of genres. It was just a feel good show. Not saying it was my top, but near it for me. I think it was 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

I think you nailed it. Talent should be appreciated. I admit though, some of these performers I suspect do have talent, but then I see lip-syncing. It's not most of the SB performances, but some of them. Sorry, if you're on on of THE biggest stages, I expect live.. actually darn near demand live.

As for ranking the SB performances, I have to give a shout to the Aerosmith, Nsync, etc. It was just fun and a pretty good mix of genres. It was just a feel good show. Not saying it was my top, but near it for me. I think it was 2001.
                        Even several of the rock bands that usually play live lip synced for the Super Bowl. I think some of it also comes down to time constraints so they don't ad-lib and go beyond the TV limits. The same is often true for awards shows too.

I mentioned Black Eyed Peas, Usher, and Slash as one I enjoyed. I'm not really a fan of Black Eyed Peas (although I respect Will I AM as a person) or Usher, but together all 3 put on a really good show with multiple music styles.

Comment

I did not enjoy this year's halftime, but it was tolerable. I was relieved the NFL didn't turn BLM loose singing the long version of "Fry 'em Like Bacon".

Who can forget the infamous wardrobe malfunction? I was shocked. Maybe the malfunction was that both breasts were not bared?

Comment

Wouldn't mine seeing next year's SB Halftime Show book both The Foo Fighters / Lil Wayne in a combo show.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Even several of the rock bands that usually play live lip synced for the Super Bowl. I think some of it also comes down to time constraints so they don't ad-lib and go beyond the TV limits. The same is often true for awards shows too.

I mentioned Black Eyed Peas, Usher, and Slash as one I enjoyed. I'm not really a fan of Black Eyed Peas (although I respect Will I AM as a person) or Usher, but together all 3 put on a really good show with multiple music styles.
                              I don't care if they're rock or rap, for me, lip syncing has no legit reason. Prince, Gaga, Bruce, KatyP, didn't. If they can't be trusted, they shouldn't be on the stage. And there's a cough button with the bcast delay, so I'm not buying the potential free reign lyric issue.

And funny that you brought up the Peas.. I was really looking forward to them. The show was good, but singing/pitch was off (no lipsynch there. LOL) Initially I thought it was horrid. I did just listen to it again just before this year's SB and though it sounded a bit better, most of the singing was still off. I wonder why, since I've heard them perform live elsewhere and they were solid. Go Figure.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X