Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed New Bracket Structure for 2019

From the NCAA D2 Championships Committee's April 4 teleconference:

a. Revised bracketing model for the Division II Football Championship.

(1) Recommendation.(2) Effective date. 2019 championship.

(3) Rationale.(4) Estimated budget impact. A minimum of $198,000 (2 charter flights) to a maximum of $594,000 (six charter flights) are the potential savings for a given year of the championship.

(5) Student-athlete impact. The proposed bracketing model would result in more teams taking ground transportation to first- or second-round sites, which in turn will allow families, friends and program supporters increased opportunities to attend playoff contests in support of their teams.

Not sure how to react to this proposal, to be honest...
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Re: Proposed New Bracket Structure for 2019

Interesting and thanks for posting. I suspect that this won't impact the densely populated northeast/SR1.

Comment

Morons.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
        From the NCAA D2 Championships Committee's April 4 teleconference:

a. Revised bracketing model for the Division II Football Championship.

(1) Recommendation.(2) Effective date. 2019 championship.

(3) Rationale.(4) Estimated budget impact. A minimum of $198,000 (2 charter flights) to a maximum of $594,000 (six charter flights) are the potential savings for a given year of the championship.

(5) Student-athlete impact. The proposed bracketing model would result in more teams taking ground transportation to first- or second-round sites, which in turn will allow families, friends and program supporters increased opportunities to attend playoff contests in support of their teams.

Not sure how to react to this proposal, to be honest...
        Never in favor of any proposal that lessens the competitive integrity of a competition.

It's completely absurd for an organization with revenues North of 1 Billion to be concerned about 2 charter flights which is less than a rounding error.

I've been holding tight to my don't play the players stance but man the NCAA continually makes incoherent decisions. If they are going to run "amateur" sports as a business, it's time to blow up the entire organization and pay the employees.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
          Never in favor of any proposal that lessens the competitive integrity of a competition.

It's completely absurd for an organization with revenues North of 1 Billion to be concerned about 2 charter flights which is less than a rounding error.

I've been holding tight to my don't play the players stance but man the NCAA continually makes incoherent decisions. If they are going to run "amateur" sports as a business, it's time to blow up the entire organization and pay the employees.
          Well by "NCAA", you mean the coaches and administrators from the representative institutions.

So this was a recommendation to be effective this year, but when will it be voted on?

It would have been good if they included an example of how this would have changed the field for the past couple of seasons.

Comment

Hopefully, this is a first step to eliminating rigid regions in Division II.

I have no problem with measures to reduce costs. Potentially, this could also be accomplished by selecting the 28 participants and then constructing the bracket based upon geography.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
              Interesting and thanks for posting. I suspect that this won't impact the densely populated northeast/SR1.
              I don't think SR1 has ever had a problem in the travel arena. Most of the games are played in PA, WV, and OH with an occasion side trip to NE. The issue is the Midwest and Far West which almost require air travel just to play league games. Can't see that flying any SR1 school any where will result in savings.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I have no problem with measures to reduce costs. Potentially, this could also be accomplished by selecting the 28 participants and then constructing the bracket based upon geography.
                If I understand this correctly it will allow for teams from the same conference to meet later in the playoffs - potentially all the way to the championship game.
                Like Brandon said it could be the first step towards a less regionalized bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
                  If I understand this correctly it will allow for teams from the same conference to meet later in the playoffs - potentially all the way to the championship game.
                  Like Brandon said it could be the first step towards a less regionalized bracket.
                  Then why not just go all the way, scrap the regions and schedule the 28 best teams with proximity as the guide for scheduling. And then things can be as subjective as the FBS

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

That proposal would be even worse for competitive integrity.

Take 28 teams. Bracket 1-28. Give all travelling teams a set amount. Then the teams can decide whether to bus or fly based on what they can afford. Probably favors GV and their fleet of private aircraft.
                    Last edited by Taxman; 05-03-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
                      But not a better, more competitive bracket. It would potentially be worse. Hey, let's send a 5-7 seed NW to Mankato, MN instead of to BFE, AR to save a flight.

What is the mileage now for flights? Thought they raised it a bit recently to make more teams bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                        Well by "NCAA", you mean the coaches and administrators from the representative institutions.

So this was a recommendation to be effective this year, but when will it be voted on?

It would have been good if they included an example of how this would have changed the field for the past couple of seasons.
                        Similar minds dreamed up the super conference MIAA which has resulted in a turn style of institutions coming and going.

Comment

This is the beginning of the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
                            But not a better, more competitive bracket. It would potentially be worse. Hey, let's send a 5-7 seed NW to Mankato, MN instead of to BFE, AR to save a flight.

What is the mileage now for flights? Thought they raised it a bit recently to make more teams bus.
                            500 miles or further and you get to fly.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                              500 miles or further and you get to fly.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X