Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D2 Brands

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • D2 Brands

    In light of recent reporting of Texas and Oklahoma wanting to join the SEC, what are some of the biggest brands in D2 Football? My thoughts are Northwest Missouri State, Pitt State, Valdosta State, Fort Hays State, Ouachita Baptist, and Harding. I would love to get everyone’s thoughts.

  • #2
    Originally posted by tubaguy08 View Post
    In light of recent reporting of Texas and Oklahoma wanting to join the SEC, what are some of the biggest brands in D2 Football? My thoughts are Northwest Missouri State, Pitt State, Valdosta State, Fort Hays State, Ouachita Baptist, and Harding. I would love to get everyone’s thoughts.
    Maybe just the timing of when I joined but GVSU and UM-D were always synonymous with successful D2 football.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes I did forget Grand Valley State. I’m not sure Minnesota Duluth is a recognizable brand across all of D2.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

        Maybe just the timing of when I joined but GVSU and UM-D were always synonymous with successful D2 football.
        Duluth was definitely the brand up there when I joined too, it seems like Mankato took the torch the past decade.

        Comment


        • #5
          Not a part of D2 anymore but the Lions of North Alabama WERE among the top programs. 11-14 record since leaving speaks the truth of thinking even top D2 teams are ready for that next step....it's a doozey !!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tubaguy08 View Post
            In light of recent reporting of Texas and Oklahoma wanting to join the SEC, what are some of the biggest brands in D2 Football? My thoughts are Northwest Missouri State, Pitt State, Valdosta State, Fort Hays State, Ouachita Baptist, and Harding. I would love to get everyone’s thoughts.
            Ouachita Baptist, Harding, and Fort Hays have never even sniffed national prominence.

            VSU and GVSU are probably the most nationally recognized outside of D-II circles, but that has more to do with the coaches who have passed through those schools.

            As far as within D-II circles, NWMSU, Pitt State, GVSU, VSU are the "brands". They are the programs that have had repeated success over decades. Perhaps UWF will join that list, but they are still too new to be on it. Carson-Newman deserves an honorable mention.

            Comment


            • #7
              I’d put NWMSU on the ‘known outside D2’ circle too. E. G. The ‘99 4OT title game really put NWMSU on the map. Mel is a past President of the AFCA, they’ve played numerous games on national TV and in Arrowhead stadium. The respect and concern from area NFL teams and several D1 teams after Coach Bostwick’s death.

              Comment


              • #8
                ​​​​​​
                Last edited by crixus; 07-25-2021, 01:36 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

                  Ouachita Baptist, Harding, and Fort Hays have never even sniffed national prominence.

                  VSU and GVSU are probably the most nationally recognized outside of D-II circles, but that has more to do with the coaches who have passed through those schools.

                  As far as within D-II circles, NWMSU, Pitt State, GVSU, VSU are the "brands". They are the programs that have had repeated success over decades. Perhaps UWF will join that list, but they are still too new to be on it. Carson-Newman deserves an honorable mention.
                  I was gonna say, I can say with a fair amount of confidence that I would not out Ouachita, Harding or Fort Hays anywhere near a prominent D2 brand. Maybe regionally sure, but nationally I can tell you that most D2 athletes have probably not even heard of these schoolset alone the public

                  Comment

                  Ad3

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X