Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does reseeding work and what will be the likely matchups

Does anyone know what factors go into seeding? Is it strictly based on distance or is it somehow ranking based? Is there an overall seeding?

National semifinals reseeding is supposed to be purely ranking based; the "best" remaining team according to the NCAA is supposed to play the "weakest" remaining team, while the second-best and third-best teams square off against each other. In most cases the travel is long enough between super region champions requires flights (I think the threshold is 600 miles) However, when teams are close to one another, as I mentioned in the thread discussing the Shepherd/Kutztown winner potentially playing Bowie State, it would be interesting to see if the NCAA adjusts its own rule or finds ways to feasibly pair relatively close teams together if that scenario arises.

Comment

Oh ok. I've checked all of the possible matchups and that combination is the only one with teams less than 600 miles. Kutztown - Bowie is 153 miles & Shepherd - Bowie is 89, that may be too much of a savings to pass up, but VSU will save them from a difficult decision :)

I presume they use the same criteria as the regional seeding?

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
        Oh ok. I've checked all of the possible matchups and that combination is the only one with teams less than 600 miles. Kutztown - Bowie is 153 miles & Shepherd - Bowie is 89, that may be too much of a savings to pass up, but VSU will save them from a difficult decision :)

The NCAA doesn't list the semifinal reseeding criteria in their D2 Football Championship Manual, but I believe it would be fair to presume that the same principles would be in effect, though each team's respective strength of schedule would be adjusted to reflect the first three rounds of the playoffs (data to which we don't necessarily have access to).
        Last edited by ctrabs74; 11-28-2021, 12:14 AM.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

IF #3 NWMSU upsets #1 FSU I believe the reseeding would have them hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
            IF #3 NWMSU upsets #1 FSU I believe the reseeding would have them hosting.
            It would stand to reason based on the last poll but there could possibly be three #1 seeds along with NWMS in the final four. I mean it wouldn't matter to us because VSU would be the other host either way, if we get past Bowie.

Comment

It would stand to reason based on the last poll but there could possibly be three #1 seeds along with NWMS in the final four. I mean it wouldn't matter to us because VSU would be the other host either way, if we get past Bowie.
              Just remember that those national polls mean nothing. I could see NWMS on the road based on OPW. Remember, every team's OPW will have increased.

Comment

If the National Committee uses the same formula for re-seeding as the Regional Committees do in the selection process I could see VSU being the overall #1 if they can get past Bowie State. I believe their numbers in accordance to the NCAA D2 criteria were the highest in the country. That being said if Ferris State wins it would certainly be hard to argue against them being the #1 overall.

Comment

IF NW upsets FSU they would have wins over a #2 seed, #1 seed and an unseeded team with a cumulative winning per cent age of .9375 on top of a pretty good regular season SOS.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                    IF NW upsets FSU they would have wins over a #2 seed, #1 seed and an unseeded team with a cumulative winning per cent age of .9375 on top of a pretty good regular season SOS.
                    If it plays out that way, I think a VSU vs NW championship game would be a lot of fun to watch.

Comment

Comment

I still believe they want SR2 vs SR3 in the Nat'l Ch. game. So no matter how it plays out, I'll bet you see SR2/SR3 in the opposite slots so they don't play each other in the Semis.

Comment

Comment

It is a flawed system from a competitive standpoint, and I think the NCAA has been quite open about that, but feels that it's worth it from an access standpoint.

Comment

I just calculated the likely W%+SOS for each team, with a win this week:
                              1. Bowie State 1.604
                              2. Valdosta State 1.591
                              3. Ferris State 1.587
                              4. Kutztown 1.529
                              5. Northwest Missouri State 1.523
                              6. Shepherd 1.506
                              7. Colorado Mines 1.483
                              8. Angelo State 1.451
                              It seems likely we'll have SR2 vs. SR4 and SR3 vs. SR1.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X