Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the state of Division 2 athletics?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid really hurt D2 in my opinion. Fans couldn't go to games and they found other things to do. Attendance is way down - albeit slowly coming back. Byt, the interest has slowed in my opinion.

I also think the Portal affect D2 quite a bit. a good get suddenly starts looking to move up to D1 and fewer layers are willing to redshirt, sit on the bench, then have a smaller role before becoming a starter.

I also think Covid hurt the financial stability of many smaller colleges many which are D2 and it might take a long time for the finances to get fixed.

From my personal persective in Marshall, attendance and interest is down quite a bit. It's sad, but not sure how to fix it

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

So fans don't like all of the extra stuff? The music, contests, dancing, big screens, etc.
      I definitely don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

So fans don't like all of the extra stuff? The music, contests, dancing, big screens, etc.
        Correct. Students think those relay games are stupid, so do older people. Here's what students like -- and I like it, too -- chance to hit a half-court shot for a prize. That's fun. People are tired of the same AC/DC song for the 100th million time, and lame field goal contest when most people can't kick it 10 yards. I know a lot of younger kids, they HATE it with a passion. They like the half-court shot and t-shirts launched into the stands. They like the band better than the lame piped in music, even the bad rap of today, they hate it. A.D.'s just don't ask them what they like. D2 should build around two groups: students and the local community, that's it. People aren't usually driving long distances to watch small college games unless a relative is playing. The problem is most of the A.D.'s got their advanced degree in sports management from a Power 5 school so they're taught Power 5/D1 methods, which don't work at FCS, D2, D3, NAIA, etc., never have, never will.

* I once emailed the A.D. of Northwest Nazarene (Nampa, Idaho), told him I enjoyed the men's basketball team but couldn't stand the blaring rap music and that most of his crowd were senior citizens and they didn't like it either. He called me back and his first words are, "Now who are you?" It was like I didn't have the right to an opinion. I told him I worked a mile from his campus ... total d-ck, he was fired the next year. I'm not impressed with most big time A.D.'s, good small college A.D.'s are even more rare.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X