Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEC/SAC scheduling alliance (2025–26)

https://mountaineast.org/news/2023/6...g-in-2025.aspx

The MEC and SAC will both have 11 football teams after Conference Carolinas begins sponsorship in 2025. It appears that each will play a 10-game conference schedule, and the odd teams out each week will play each other in a non-conference game.

This won't have a silo effect on SOS since it's not a complete round robin, but will prevent these conferences from playing others in their own super region (assuming these conferences are still in different super regions under the new alignment that's presumable coming in 2025).

In short, this scheduling alliance is a back-handed way of the SAC telling the football-playing members of Conference Carolinas to go pound sand from 2025-2028. It is what it is.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Gulf South and CC form a scheduling alliance also. They will pretty much have to do so, in order for teams from both conferences to have full schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

The MEC and SAC will both have 11 football teams after Conference Carolinas begins sponsorship in 2025. It appears that each will play a 10-game conference schedule, and the odd teams out each week will play each other in a non-conference game.

This won't have a silo effect on SOS since it's not a complete round robin, but will prevent these conferences from playing others in their own super region (assuming these conferences are still in different super regions under the new alignment that's presumable coming in 2025).
      I dislike these alliances. They are lazy and siloesque. SOS is at the mercy of the rotating schedule, and there is nothing a team can do to influence that.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

It might not have as major of an impact as you'd think, unless the NCAA is really going to be strict about SR1 vs SR2 games being out-of-region.

The most recent list provided by the NCAA allows for teams from Maryland (Frostburg State), Ohio (Notre Dame College) and West Virginia (the other nine schools) to play teams from North Carolina (Catawba, Lenoir-Rhyne, Mars Hill, Wingate), South Carolina (Anderson, Limestone, Newberry), Virginia (Emory & Henry, UVA-Wise) and Tennessee (Carson-Newman, Tusculum).

Also, since there are Super Region 2 schools located in Maryland (Bowie State, CIAA), Ohio (Central State, SIAC) and West Virginia (Bluefield State, CIAA), the argument could be made that MEC schools can play teams from the SAC and have that count as in-region thanks to Central State and Bluefield State.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

From what I understand, out of region games don't hurt you in football.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule View Post
            In short, this scheduling alliance is a back-handed way of the SAC telling the football-playing members of Conference Carolinas to go pound sand from 2025-2028. It is what it is.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Gulf South and CC form a scheduling alliance also. They will pretty much have to do so, in order for teams from both conferences to have full schedules.
            They GSC and CC will have to form an alliance to survive. But, I’m not sure that will be enough. This basically means even fewer teams for non-con games for the GSC. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this be the final straw to push UWG, UWF, and VSU to leave for FCS.
            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

I wouldn’t be surprised to see this be the final straw to push UWG, UWF, and VSU to leave for FCS.
              Can't see Valdosta moving up unless they build their own stadium. Can't be playing D1 football in a high school stadium - would be an incredibly significant handicap in recruiting at the D1 level, including FCS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule View Post

Can't see Valdosta moving up unless they build their own stadium. Can't be playing D1 football in a high school stadium - would be an incredibly significant handicap in recruiting at the D1 level, including FCS.
                Wouldn’t be an issue.
                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Wouldn’t be an issue.
                  Guess we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

I dislike these alliances. They are lazy and siloesque.
                    That's my general feeling as well.

Comment

This move is yet another reason and the right time why the SAC football programs in SC may now be considering potentially making a move to join Conference Carolinas.

On a positive note, I believe this move may eliminate future opportunities for some ADs to pimp their football teams out for pay checks by scheduling higher division FCS teams.

Comment

I get the siloesque argument. The reason I'm a big fan of this is that LR has really struggled to put D2 games on our schedule for the past several years. We've had several instances where (not to be mentioned schools) have had multi-year agreements to play LR only for those promises to fall through at the last minute. This guarantees a full schedule for the next several year with no opportunity for schools to back out of agreements.

Comment

The list mentioned above contains for every state in the country, which other states for which you draw an opponent must be considered in-region. The “artificial” regions of SR1, etc. also provide in region games even if it is not part of the above mentioned list of states for in region.

But SR1 teams playing SR2 teams can certainly be in region.

The rules for creating the list have more than one consideration. First the true eight regions (like used for basketball, baseball, etc) are always in region based on the state footprints of the conferences in each region (example, the SAC has schools in NC, VA, TN, SC, so these states are automatically in the SE region -but so is GA and FL due to the PBC). Neighboring state games are always in region. I think there may be another rule or two, but I am sure of those two.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post
                            I get the siloesque argument. The reason I'm a big fan of this is that LR has really struggled to put D2 games on our schedule for the past several years. We've had several instances where (not to be mentioned schools) have had multi-year agreements to play LR only for those promises to fall through at the last minute. This guarantees a full schedule for the next several year with no opportunity for schools to back out of agreements.
                            An ongoing issue for winning teams in SR2 and a big reason why many look to get out of D2.
                            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X