Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJCAA 4-year School Members?

Just noodling around and I formulated a question I hope someone will be able to answer. Here in Florida, we have a number of "state schools" that started out as Junior Colleges but have since begun to offer BA/BS's on their own (not 2+2 transfer programs to a bigger school...actual programs were students begin at that college and 4 years later graduate from that same college with a BA/BS). During their JC days, these schools were part of the NJCAA. One would think that as the NJCAA is the JC/CC equivalent for the NCAA, that now that these colleges have progressed to 4-year BA/BS granting schools, they would become members of the NCAA. Buuuutttt, apparently NOT as most are still members of the NJCAA and apparently have no plans (at least none I can find) to become NCAA members.

I recently stumbled on that Potomac State College in WV is in the same boat...a former 2-year school that was part of the NJCAA, is now offering 4-year degrees, but has not moved up to the NCAA.

Curious if anyone knows if this is a prevalent situation across the country and perhaps speculating on why the NCAA is letting this continue? My guess to the latter is that as most of these programs are not "powerhouse" sports programs even at the NJCAA level, the NCAA doesn't really care about them.

I revise my last post...seems Potomac State has a long history of success in NJCAA baseball that includes many trips to the NJCAA World Series and a national championship.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 06-25-2018, 12:03 PM.

Re: NJCAA 4-year School Members?

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Just noodling around and I formulated a question I hope someone will be able to answer. Here in Florida, we have a number of "state schools" that started out as Junior Colleges but have since begun to offer BA/BS's on their own (not 2+2 transfer programs to a bigger school...actual programs were students begin at that college and 4 years later graduate from that same college with a BA/BS). During their JC days, these schools were part of the NJCAA. One would think that as the NJCAA is the JC/CC equivalent for the NCAA, that now that these colleges have progressed to 4-year BA/BS granting schools, they would become members of the NCAA. Buuuutttt, apparently NOT as most are still members of the NJCAA and apparently have no plans (at least none I can find) to become NCAA members.

I recently stumbled on that Potomac State College in WV is in the same boat...a former 2-year school that was part of the NJCAA, is now offering 4-year degrees, but has not moved up to the NCAA.

Curious if anyone knows if this is a prevalent situation across the country and perhaps speculating on why the NCAA is letting this continue? My guess to the latter is that as most of these programs are not "powerhouse" sports programs even at the NJCAA level, the NCAA doesn't really care about them.

I revise my last post...seems Potomac State has a long history of success in NJCAA baseball that includes many trips to the NJCAA World Series and a national championship.
    I would imagine that the reason they are still NJCAA is that because the majority of the degrees they grant are associates degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

BoatCapt, I live in Tampa and have notice the same trend - some of our 2-year "Community Colleges" becoming 4-year "State Colleges". I think that these schools are choosing to play by the NJCAA rules and limit themselves to two-year players despite the school itself offering some 4-year degrees. I just looked up some rosters, and they are all Freshman and Sophomores. I suppose that they choose this because they still view themselves as primarily a community college with far more 2-year offerings than 4-year offerings.
      Last edited by BlueBlood; 06-25-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
        BoatCapt, I live in Tampa and have notice the same trend - some of our 2-year "Community Colleges" becoming 4-year "State Colleges". I think that these schools are choosing to play by the NJCAA rules and limit themselves to two-year players despite the school itself offering some 4-year degrees. I just looked up some rosters, and they are all Freshman and Sophomores. I suppose that they choose this because they still view themselves as primarily a community college with far more 2-year offerings than 4-year offerings.
        I would imagine the dues are a bit lower for NJCCA than the NCAA. Just seems a little disingenuous that a 4-year college, regardless of the number of AA/AS programs they have vice BA/BS, can chose to play as a junior college.

But heck...maybe that is a route for Ohio Valley and D&E (and other small schools across the nation). "Choose" to only permit players to participate for three years (2 years on the field and 1 year redshirting) and join the NJCCA. Heck, I would be willing to bet medical redshirts are a bit easier to get with the NJCCA so you could probably get almost four years of eligibility! Just got to make sure that they don't earn enough credits to move beyond the sophomore level until after they graduate...graduate from athletic eligibility that is!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X