Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNC Pembroke new MEC Associate member???

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNC Pembroke new MEC Associate member???

As per collegiate consulting, UNC Pembroke plans to be a MEC Associate member in football, wrestling and swimming coming up...not verified this other than that organization's tweet, but worth checking into for it.

Re: UNC Pembroke new MEC Associate member???

Interesting. This is now a second (and now public) source, as Sportsnut earlier said he had heard something similar.

Comment

All part of the master plan for Mr. Amos... Now he calls on AB and D&E. AB balances out football and D&E balances out all other sports with Pembroke being "their" football. Let's see if he can get this pulled off. If he does...will there be a ripple effect?

Comment

Need a little more than a tweet from a consulting company. But lets assume for the moment that it's true...That would make UNCP the 12th football school which would mean the MEC would have no need for AB. 13 football schools doesn't make much sense from a scheduling standpoint. Buuuuttttt...If there are OTHER football playing schools (cough...cough...Ashland...cough...cough) in the mix, AB makes much more sense.

IF, and I'm not convinced yet, UNCP does join football, it would appear that the demise of the MEC that some have hoped for was a bit overstated.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          Need a little more than a tweet from a consulting company. But lets assume for the moment that it's true...That would make UNCP the 12th football school which would mean the MEC would have no need for AB. 13 football schools doesn't make much sense from a scheduling standpoint. Buuuuttttt...If there are OTHER football playing schools (cough...cough...Ashland...cough...cough) in the mix, AB makes much more sense.

IF, and I'm not convinced yet, UNCP does join football, it would appear that the demise of the MEC that some have hoped for was a bit overstated.
          It also may play into Sportsnut's info that it was UNC-P for football and D&E coming for the rest of the sports (getting basketball back to 12)

Who is hoping for the demise of the MEC?

Comment

How far is UNCP to the members of the MEC? That seems like it would be a far drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Tdobson View Post
              How far is UNCP to the members of the MEC? That seems like it would be a far drive.
              It's 350+ miles and over 600 miles to NDC!!! Kind of makes me think there must be something or someone else involved that would permit the MEC to break up into N/S or E/W divisions...and to get there, you need to be at 14+. That could possibly be AB plus ????????

Comment

It's 350+ miles and over 600 miles to NDC!!! Kind of makes me think there must be something or someone else involved that would permit the MEC to break up into N/S or E/W divisions...and to get there, you need to be at 14+. That could possibly be AB plus ????????
                Can be there in 11.5 hours if you leave now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                  Can be there in 11.5 hours if you leave now.
                  That's why I think it is either an unfounded rumor OR there are other shoes that will drop to make it make sense. As good (and bad) as UNCP has been and as much as they fit the philosophical and size profile of the MEC, it's just too hard to make the distance math work without something else happening.

I note that Chowan just jumped from the CIAA to Conf Carolina except for Football and Bowling were they will remain an associate in the CIAA. UNCP is 3 hours from Chowan....and Salisbury State is 3 hours from Chowan. Far fetched but so is UNCP joining the MEC.

MEC West

(Ohio Panhandle Pod)
                  Ashland
                  NDC
                  Urbana
                  WLU
                  WJU
                  (Eastern WV/Western MD Pod)
                  Fairmont
                  Frostburg
                  AB

MEC East

(Tobacco Pod)
                  UNCP
                  Chowan
                  Salisbury
                  (Mountain Top Pod)
                  Concord
                  Glenville
                  WV Wesleyan
                  Charleston
                  WV State

Seven in division games, one cross over game, one or two OOC games and a Championship game.
                  Last edited by boatcapt; 08-03-2018, 12:07 PM.

Comment

It also may play into Sportsnut's info that it was UNC-P for football and D&E coming for the rest of the sports (getting basketball back to 12)

Who is hoping for the demise of the MEC?
                    Basketball is far less dependent on a 12th for scheduling...with 11 teams each team plays 20 league games and 7 OOC games, with 12 teams each team plays 22 league and 5 OOC.

As for people wishing for the demise of the MEC...There are those that actively advocate for NDC and Urbana to leave the MEC...These have been people who have mused that they "heard" that WJU was leaving and some have wondered when Concord was planning on leaving to join the SAC. There have been some that have proposed that the MEC and GMAC should merge and there have been some who have postulated that the MEC should take AB, D&E and Ohio Valley in exchange for NDC and Urbana and then wonder if the MEC should change it's name to the WVIAC.

As for this particular rumor, I wouldn't be opposed if D&E wanted to be an associate member in say Acrobatics & Tumbling and say Swimming.
                    Last edited by boatcapt; 08-03-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

As for people wishing for the demise of the MEC...There are those that actively advocate for NDC and Urbana to leave the MEC...These have been people who have mused that they "heard" that WJU was leaving and some have wondered when Concord was planning on leaving to join the SAC. There have been some that have proposed that the MEC and GMAC should merge and there have been some who have postulated that the MEC should take AB, D&E and Ohio Valley in exchange for NDC and Urbana and then wonder if the MEC should change it's name to the WVIAC.

As for this particular rumor, I wouldn't be opposed if D&E wanted to be an associate member in say Acrobatics & Tumbling and say Swimming.
                      I've long stated that I think NDC likely ends up in the GMAC eventually. However, that is in no way linked to wishing for the demise of the MEC.

As for WJU, I don't really remember folks saying that they were leaving on their own, but I do remember several times where folks on here gathered with torches and pitchforks - ready to kick WJU out of the MEC.

Comment

I've long stated that I think NDC likely ends up in the GMAC eventually. However, that is in no way linked to wishing for the demise of the MEC.

As for WJU, I don't really remember folks saying that they were leaving on their own, but I do remember several times where folks on here gathered with torches and pitchforks - ready to kick WJU out of the MEC.
                        That is true. Had to do with them not starting a football program as promised. They took care of that so we put our pitchforks away and all is now forgiven!

The speculation about WJU laving the MEC and joining the GMAC was at the time they became associate members of the GMAC for men's lacrosse. Speculation at that time was that this was but the first step toward WJU eventually joining the MEC as a full member.

Comment

Feel me in here ... why would UNC Pembroke want to join the MEC? Eight of its games this year (football) are in the state of NC.

What am I missing here?

Comment

It's 350+ miles and over 600 miles to NDC!!
                            Here on the west coast, the GNAC conference, our closest home game this year is 600+ miles to HSU. Next year it will be 930 miles to Western Oregon. Don't even get us started on going to the distant schools in the conference. The closest D2 football school to us is Dixie State (RMAC) at a mere 360 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by The Librarian View Post
                              Here on the west coast, the GNAC conference, our closest home game this year is 600+ miles to HSU. Next year it will be 930 miles to Western Oregon. Don't even get us started on going to the distant schools in the conference. The closest D2 football school to us is Dixie State (RMAC) at a mere 360 miles.
                              I agree...Some teams here on the east coast are spoiled. They feel like it is an onerous condition that MUST be changed immediately and by any means necessary if they have to travel more than 100 miles to an away game!!!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X