Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official: Davis & Elkins to join the MEC at the start of 2019-20 school yea

Re: Official: Davis & Elkins to join the MEC at the start of 2019-20 school

That's the biggest mistake in the history of the MEC. Conference needs to fold immediately and avoid the embarrassment of having dregs like D&E as "members."

DEvelopingExcellence my a$$.

So if I am the President of WJU, my FIRST question to the MEC is "When will D&E be starting a football program?" If the answer is "We're not going to make them," my second question to them would be "Then why the f*ck did you make us start a program?" Followed quickly by a statement that WJU would be "exploring other conference options."
    Last edited by boatcapt; 08-30-2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

While I understand that the college is from WV and it provides a good geographic fit, I'm not sure about athletic fit. You would think that Alderson-Broaddus would be a preferred choice to D&E. Hopefully, it works for both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by cavsfan94 View Post
        While I understand that the college is from WV and it provides a good geographic fit, I'm not sure about athletic fit. You would think that Alderson-Broaddus would be a preferred choice to D&E. Hopefully, it works for both sides.
        Here's how bad D&E is. They sponsor seven current MEC team sports. Collectively those sports teams went 62-118! That's an aggregate "winning" percentage of .344!!!!

To call D&E bad is an insult to the word bad.

The only thing they bring to the MEC is a comatose warm body who's hand will be perpetually out when it comes time to claim "their share" of the NCAA distribution money...Just like when they were in the WVIAC and in the GMAC the last five years.

Comment

Looks like the MEC is morphing back into the WVIAC.

Comment

This is a complete joke. Obviously this move was solely for Basketball due to Shepherd and Wise leaving to fill the void, MEC is in need of new leadership

Comment

Originally posted by CelticCoach View Post
              This is a complete joke. Obviously this move was solely for Basketball due to Shepherd and Wise leaving to fill the void, MEC is in need of new leadership
              If they brought D&E in for basketball, that is an even stupider move. At their absolute BEST, they are an 11 win sub 500 team. They are the worst DII athletic program in the country. We got rid of them once and then we took them back AND made them a full member even though they don't meet the conference requirement for sports or school enrolement. Stupid and completely unnecessary.

If I were WJU, I'd be totally pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                If they brought D&E in for basketball, that is an even stupider move. At their absolute BEST, they are an 11 win sub 500 team. They are the worst DII athletic program in the country. We got rid of them once and then we took them back AND made them a full member even though they don't meet the conference requirement for sports or school enrolement. Stupid and completely unnecessary.

If I were WJU, I'd be totally pissed.
                It could be worse... the MEC could've invited Salem back into the mix.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Starting to get a little confused on the direction that the MEC wants to take. First we wanted an all sports conference which would include football. We diddled around with WJ and after jerking the conference around for years the team is being started this year. Now D & E is coming back and they have no plans for a football team. Then we have Shepherd and Wise leaving with one of the main reasons being travel distance. Then comes along UNC-Pembroke for an associate membership with the main reason being football and they are in southern North Carolina. Personally, I can accept D & E because the school itself is not bad and Elkins is nice little town. Maybe that had something to do with Frostburg coming into the conference since they would be a short trip for them. And besides all conferences need a permanent bottom feeder. However, please don't expand the footprint to include Salem, Bluefield, Ohio Valley and WVU Tech since those schools have nothing to offer and would really degrade the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                    Starting to get a little confused on the direction that the MEC wants to take. First we wanted an all sports conference which would include football. We diddled around with WJ and after jerking the conference around for years the team is being started this year. Now D & E is coming back and they have no plans for a football team. Then we have Shepherd and Wise leaving with one of the main reasons being travel distance. Then comes along UNC-Pembroke for an associate membership with the main reason being football and they are in southern North Carolina. Personally, I can accept D & E because the school itself is not bad and Elkins is nice little town. Maybe that had something to do with Frostburg coming into the conference since they would be a short trip for them. And besides all conferences need a permanent bottom feeder. However, please don't expand the footprint to include Salem, Bluefield, Ohio Valley and WVU Tech since those schools have nothing to offer and would really degrade the conference.
                    You and me both. The D&E "move" is a self inflicted gunshot wound that does less than zero to strengthen the conference. They will be as they were in the GMAC and the WVIAC before that, permanent bottom feeders who do nothing for the conference except drain resources. While the AB vote was the final straw that blew the WVIAC up, it was not the only major problem with the conference. There was HUGE disagreement between the schools who wanted to play on a national level and those that were more than happy treating athletics as an intermural club type endeavor played just within the confines of WV. Chief among this latter group was D&E. But this same group of schools was the first in line at the commissioners office with their hand out to get the $ the NCAA gave to conferences based on selection for NC tourneys. D&E was always more than willing to take this money even though they refused to do anything to help the conference get it. They refused to change even when faced with the dissolution of the WVIAC...they did not change when they were a member of the GMAC...So what makes us think they will change now that they are in the MEC? To have them as a member of the MEC is an insult to why the conference was created and an insult to all the teams who felt that they should play sports on a national vice local level.

I understand the desire for a football playing school, but I question the value UNCP provides as that school. Not that they aren't a good athletic program just that they are so far away. While from an athletic competition stand point, they are a good get...from a logistics stand point, they are not a good fit. I would like to think that there was another move or two in the works that makes this make more sense, but sadly, I don't think there is.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                      It could be worse... the MEC could've invited Salem back into the mix.
                      Day's not over yet.

Comment

http://wvmetronews.com/2018/08/30/da...ociate-member/

Comment

Did D&E ever have a football program? Their Wikipedia article doesn't mention one but does list two football players as "Notable Alumni."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick - Shep '05 View Post
                            Did D&E ever have a football program? Their Wikipedia article doesn't mention one but does list two football players as "Notable Alumni."
                            Yes. Long time ago, prior to the great depression.

Comment

D & E last fielded a football team in 1961. They went 2-7 with wins over Frostburg and Concord.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X