Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNC-Pembroke Football / The MEC

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
    That's right. I forgot about one-hit wonder Charleston in 2015. When did Fairmont claim the top spot in the MEC?
    The year they finished 2nd in the MEC, and that same year they lost to last place East Stroudsburg, but that is something Boat doesn't like to bring up!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Yes it is but it helps improve your odds of success when you always have a second (and third and often fourth) team in the playoffs!!
      In looking at it through a conference view.....the more you have in the better, obviously. Sometimes two conference teams play each other, ensuring conference advancement. Then if they happen to play another conference team in the second round....well you get the idea.

Comment

That's right. I forgot about one-hit wonder Charleston in 2015. When did Fairmont claim the top spot in the MEC?
        Charleston and Fairmont both got hammered by IUP (at their home fields).

Comment

Fairmont hasn't...but they have been consistently good (#2 or #3) for the last three years. Last year they lost by 3 to Notre Dame and finished second in the MEC with two losses. Maybe they "break out" this coming year and become the next MEC team to win the Region?

FYI...UC didn't win the MEC in 2015. They finished second with 1 loss.
          Last edited by boatcapt; 05-15-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
            In looking at it through a conference view.....the more you have in the better, obviously. Sometimes two conference teams play each other, ensuring conference advancement. Then if they happen to play another conference team in the second round....well you get the idea.
            I count four times since 2014 when a team has faced a team from the same conference in the SR1 playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              Fairmont hasn't...but they have been consistently good (#2 or #3) for the last three years. Last year they lost by 3 to Notre Dame and finished second in the MEC with two losses. Maybe they "break out" this coming year and become the next MEC team to win the Region?

FYI...UC didn't win the MEC in 2015. They finished second with 1 loss.
              Fully aware. But that was the year they made the playoffs and, as been pointed out earlier, lost at home by 26 points to a PSAC school.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                So a team that was 2-8 this past year should do a 180 degree turn and be extremely good? Guess I have to keep an eye on their season....
                I believe a lot of their optimism comes from the fact that they are returning 21 out of 22 starters, including all of their skill players. Add in the fact that their coach knew that last season would be a rebuilding year, so he also went ahead and red-shirted a lot of his top recruited players. My Brave's friend may be right about them being loaded for at least the next couple of years. I'll be watching them too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                  I believe a lot of their optimism comes from the fact that they are returning 21 out of 22 starters, including all of their skill players. Add in the fact that their coach knew that last season would be a rebuilding year, so he also went ahead and red-shirted a lot of his top recruited players. My Brave's friend may be right about them being loaded for at least the next couple of years. I'll be watching them too.
                  I understand they are bringing back most of their starters, plus only losing to 7 SRs/RS SRs. But they were 2-8 this past season with victories against 1-win Elizabeth City State and 2-win Concord. Now had the team went 5-5, then I would maybe agree with his optimism. But hey, I guess he knows his team, so like I stated, I will keep an eye on their upcoming season.

Comment

One year "turn around" is possible, but not probable. More likely that it takes at least two years. If the returning players are as good as your friend thinks, the players who were redshirted last year are as good as your friend says they are AND there are some gems in this years recruiting haul, a two year rebuild is quite possible. I'd look for 5 to 6 wins this year which would set them up to step up to the 8 win plateau the following season.

Comment

For Richardson's sake they better hope they can turn things around. Richardson rode the wave that Shinnick left for long enough, but now it's time for him to show he can build the program back up after back to back 2-8 seasons.

One thing that really makes me wonder is why he can't keep QBs. UNCP goes 10-2 in 2016 but then the QB transfers to Catawba. In 2017 they start a RS freshman who had video game numbers in high school, he took some lumps but showed promise; however, he ended up leaving. Now the back up from last year, who saw some decent game action has left to give it a try at Cal. I got to wonder what is going on at UNCP as it relates to the QB position.

Comment

Having a 6-3 220 returning QB which started as a true Freshman last season, and went 366-209-10 for 2,242 yards, might be an enticement for a backup QB to transfer. Especially since the Braves have other backups on their roster.

Comment

Having a 6-3 220 returning QB which started as a true Freshman last season, and went 366-209-10 for 2,242 yards, might be an enticement for a backup QB to transfer. Especially since the Braves have other backups on their roster.
                          Interesting, but Cal also returns a QB who was a freshman last season with better stats and a lot better record.

Also, doesn't explain the other two recent QB starters that left. Especially why a starter from a team that made the playoffs decides to transfer out.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
                            Interesting, but Cal also returns a QB who was a freshman last season with better stats and a lot better record.

Also, doesn't explain the other two recent QB starters that left. Especially why a starter from a team that made the playoffs decides to transfer out.
                            Rarely do you ever know exactly why players chooses to transfer, and really, having a former starting QB and then later a backup QB transferring is not that unique of a situation, happens in D1 quite a bit. Not really wanting to speculate, but some players don't respond to the demands of a certain type of offense, offensive coordinators, head coaches with high grades and class attendance requirements, parents who can't accept the fact that their son is not starting, or might not start the following year, homesickness, relationship issues, change of a major, grass is greener syndrome, etc, etc, etc.

Comment

I agree that sometimes starting QBs do transfer for any number of reasons. But it is a red flag and makes people wonder what the real story is. At a D1 you tend to get a lot of coverage that usually gets to the truth even if no one involved admits it. DII you don't so fans are left to wonder why.

Comment

You're right. I not sure if it's the way things worked out, but I do recall that my ole Braves friend saying that the former starting QB that transferred to Catawba, did so to be a lot closer to where his girlfriend was living at the time. Sometimes, some things take priorities for some people;)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X