Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Report: Wheeling Jesuit Board in Meetings About School's Future

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post
    Why does the school have to remove Jesuit from its name? Just curious.
    The core curriculum that the Jesuits established when they became administrators of the school is not offered so it's no longer a Jesuit school.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post
      Why does the school have to remove Jesuit from its name? Just curious.

Comment

Gosh this is awesome. MEC should kick them to the curb and watch them wither away. This makes me so happy to see this.

Would be awesome if West Liberty could find a way to acquire the buildings/campus and officially take it over.

Comment

aren't they on probation by the accreditation service by now? With big drop in enrollment and going year-to-year, that's a model for losing fed funds.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper912 View Post
            Gosh this is awesome. MEC should kick them to the curb and watch them wither away. This makes me so happy to see this.

Would be awesome if West Liberty could find a way to acquire the buildings/campus and officially take it over.
            Man what a hard arse, WJU must have given you a 'we don't need you slip' somewhere down the line...

Comment

Curious question. If Wheeling (Jesuit) did drop Lacrosse, why did the G-MAC website only change the school's name instead of completely removing it in the [ASSOC. MEMBERS] dropdown menu?

Comment

Originally posted by Clydes 'N Rams View Post
                Man what a hard arse, WJU must have given you a 'we don't need you slip' somewhere down the line...
                LOL...no one WANTS to go to that crap school. It's kind of a last resort type of place. Good riddance to them. Even better watching them die a slow death. Makes it more enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper912 View Post

Maybe not just yet...
                  https://www.wtrf.com/local/breaking-...tter_WTRF7News

Comment

There are waaay to many 4 year colleges and universities in the state of WV. Anywhere between 4-6 of them either should merge or shut down completely. It will never happen but a state with a population of 1.8 million people does not need 17 colleges or universities plus many JR College and Community Colleges. Im all for educating as many people as possible but Ive also seen this as a sticky situation for at least 30 years now. Ive never understood how WJU now just WU I guess, Davis and Elkins, Ohio Valley, Bethany, Salem and Alderson Broaddus make ends meet.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenGlasses View Post
                      There are waaay to many 4 year colleges and universities in the state of WV. Anywhere between 4-6 of them either should merge or shut down completely. It will never happen but a state with a population of 1.8 million people does not need 17 colleges or universities plus many JR College and Community Colleges. Im all for educating as many people as possible but Ive also seen this as a sticky situation for at least 30 years now. Ive never understood how WJU now just WU I guess, Davis and Elkins, Ohio Valley, Bethany, Salem and Alderson Broaddus make ends meet.
                      One time I compared state population to D2 schools because an argument from the east towards the midwest schools was that they were "the only game in town." I can't remember the criteria, but there really weren't big differences between Pennsylvania and say North Dakota in terms of the college to general population ratio. California had it the easiest. It was something like a one-to-10 million ratio or something like that. West Virginia had the toughest. It was one-to-30,000. I can't remember the exact number for California, but even if it was just one million, that shows how tough it is for West Virginia football playing schools.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenGlasses View Post
                        Applies to everywhere. Too many drug stores in a community, enough shut down to right size the demand. Too many colleges in a state, do whatever it takes to keep them all afloat.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          One time I compared state population to D2 schools because an argument from the east towards the midwest schools was that they were "the only game in town." I can't remember the criteria, but there really weren't big differences between Pennsylvania and say North Dakota in terms of the college to general population ratio. California had it the easiest. It was something like a one-to-10 million ratio or something like that. West Virginia had the toughest. It was one-to-30,000. I can't remember the exact number for California, but even if it was just one million, that shows how tough it is for West Virginia football playing schools.
                          What about traditional college age citizens? West Virginia and Pennsylvania are among states with the highest average age. So although the general population ratios may be the same as other states, traditional college age students i.e. football players, are not as available.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                            What about traditional college age citizens? West Virginia and Pennsylvania are among states with the highest average age. So although the general population ratios may be the same as other states, traditional college age students i.e. football players, are not as available.
                            It didn't get that detailed because that type of information was not easily found on the internet at the time. There were several other factors which I think were important that not evaluated. It was just a general look into it.

If that's true about WV, then it's even ridiculously more difficult for them to compete against other schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                              It didn't get that detailed because that type of information was not easily found on the internet at the time. There were several other factors which I think were important that not evaluated. It was just a general look into it.

If that's true about WV, then it's even ridiculously more difficult for them to compete against other schools.
                              It is odd but WV is kind of an odd state. It does have a lot of colleges for all the bigger it is. Add to it the panhandle is essentially in Western PA and Ohio. The PA schools take a lot of WV, too.

And, to the point above, nobody familiar with the mess at Wheeling would probably want to go there -- and, it's likely getting major buzz in the media down there.

It is still baffling to think back just a couple years when Wheeling Jesuit had a powerhouse going in men's basketball -- big crowds, etc. Fast forward a couple years and it's just shocking to see. Granted, I'm sure the insiders knew this was coming, but from afar it seemed like the place was starting to rock-n-roll.

Hard to say what will happen. Wheeling is a nice little town. Hopefully they stay afloat.

WJ still had the best t-shirts ever (referencing their West Liberty neighbors) ... "Shut the Hill UP"

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                It is odd but WV is kind of an odd state. It does have a lot of colleges for all the bigger it is. Add to it the panhandle is essentially in Western PA and Ohio. The PA schools take a lot of WV, too.
                                I would have thought that the school that is closest to WV, CAL, would be representative of that but checking the '18 roster there were zero from the state. This year's list will have at least 2 from the Linsly school, but even one of those is from Canonsburg. Oddly the Mountain State is an amazing source of talent for WBB so it may have something to do with the talent pool in football versus other sports.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X