Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Report: Wheeling Jesuit Board in Meetings About School's Future

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    It didn't get that detailed because that type of information was not easily found on the internet at the time. There were several other factors which I think were important that not evaluated. It was just a general look into it.

If that's true about WV, then it's even ridiculously more difficult for them to compete against other schools.
    I would note that outside of WVU and Marshal, WV colleges are pretty small when compared to schools in other nearby states. Wonder what the comparison is between WV and PA when you calculate number of college "seats?"

Here's some wild swings at math. This is from a number of disperate sources and there is the real chance of errors...but as a general order of magnitude comparison, I think it's pretty accurate:

Total populations:

WV: 1,815, 857
    PA: 12,805,537

Number of Public and Private Not For Profit Colleges and Universities (minus the "big" D1 schools like Penn State, WVU, Pitt, Marshall and Temple):

WV: 26
    PA: 63

Percentage of population that is "college age":

WV: 12%
    PA: 13%

Theoretical max number of college age students:

WV: 21,790
    PA: 166, 471

Population per college:

WV: 838
    PA: 2642
    Last edited by boatcapt; 08-08-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

As I said...a long and slow death. Can't believe the Diocese was silly enough to give them another $2 million just to stay open this year.

This is seriously awesome. Basketball team also under investigation. #EPIC

How much do you think West Liberty will be able to buy the campus for?

Comment

BB team under investigation stems from the Sancomb "issues" that got him fired.

Comment

If it weren't for the $2M bailout (again) from the Diocese, it looks like Wheeling wouldn't have been able to open their doors for the Fall of THIS year! So, unless something big happens, it really looks like the MEC is about to lose a school. Who is in line to replace them? Obvious choice would be AB, but they are on double secret probation as well. Pikeville (Do they want to make the jump)? Georgetown (See Pikeville)? Bluefield State (rumor is they are bringing back football with their new dorm)? Bowie State (if you can talk them into leaving CIAA)?

Comment

Originally posted by D2 Sports Fan View Post
            If it weren't for the $2M bailout (again) from the Diocese, it looks like Wheeling wouldn't have been able to open their doors for the Fall of THIS year! So, unless something big happens, it really looks like the MEC is about to lose a school. Who is in line to replace them? Obvious choice would be AB, but they are on double secret probation as well. Pikeville (Do they want to make the jump)? Georgetown (See Pikeville)? Bluefield State (rumor is they are bringing back football with their new dorm)? Bowie State (if you can talk them into leaving CIAA)?
            Uhhh the CLOSEST MEC school to BSU is D&E at 216 miles so I'm going to say no way, no how !!!

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
              Uhhh the CLOSEST MEC school to BSU is D&E at 216 miles so I'm going to say no way, no how !!!
              BSU as in Bowie State is 150 from Frostburg
              BSU as in Bluefield State (VA) is 105 from UC

As for Bluefield State (WV) starting a football program, I haven't seen anything even hinting about that beyond what was just posted.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                BSU as in Bowie State is 150 from Frostburg
                BSU as in Bluefield State (VA) is 105 from UC

As for Bluefield State (WV) starting a football program, I haven't seen anything even hinting about that beyond what was just posted.
                I was thinking of BOWIE STATE and you're correct about FSU, but the principle is the same. Just not realistic for them to leave the CIAA.
                Please take SHU back. They have slightly more football potential than WU.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                  I was thinking of BOWIE STATE and you're correct about FSU, but the principle is the same. Just not realistic for them to leave the CIAA.
                  Please take SHU back. They have slightly more football potential than WU.
                  Nope! You guys touched them last so they are yours!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                    Nope! You guys touched them last so they are yours!

Comment

boatcapt- I know you are the one that knows all, but I am here to tell you that if Dr. Robin Capehart (the same guy that is considered ultimately responsible for the start of the MEC) becomes the permanent President at Bluefield State College, they will start football. Just because there haven't been any public written articles about it, doesn't mean it hasn't been discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        It is odd but WV is kind of an odd state. It does have a lot of colleges for all the bigger it is. Add to it the panhandle is essentially in Western PA and Ohio. The PA schools take a lot of WV, too.

And, to the point above, nobody familiar with the mess at Wheeling would probably want to go there -- and, it's likely getting major buzz in the media down there.

It is still baffling to think back just a couple years when Wheeling Jesuit had a powerhouse going in men's basketball -- big crowds, etc. Fast forward a couple years and it's just shocking to see. Granted, I'm sure the insiders knew this was coming, but from afar it seemed like the place was starting to rock-n-roll.

Hard to say what will happen. Wheeling is a nice little town. Hopefully they stay afloat.

WJ still had the best t-shirts ever (referencing their West Liberty neighbors) ... "Shut the Hill UP"
                        In 2017-18, WJU basketball were 26-6 and only had three seniors. In 2018-19, WJU only went 9-21. I'm assuming a lot of underclassmen either left on their own accord or were kicked off the team

Comment

Originally posted by ftballfan View Post

In 2017-18, WJU basketball were 26-6 and only had three seniors. In 2018-19, WJU only went 9-21. I'm assuming a lot of underclassmen either left on their own accord or were kicked off the team
                          Three seniors in basketball is a decent amount ... usually 25 percent of the roster. Keep in mind two of them were star players.

But, most of all, that's the off-season when they fired very successful head coach Danny Sancomb. Numerous players left the program.

The biggest losses were Brent Pegram following Sancomb to Cal and Preston Boswell going to West Liberty.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post

So added football and eliminated wrestling, lacrosse, swimming and diving?

Did they previously have tennis?

Comment

Perhaps they had already crossed the rubicon on football and would take a hit on 100 students (out of 375?) who are playing the sport. MEC had a rule about playing football to be in the conference. I see your point of giving the appearance of stability (as long as parents/students don't google WJU and see all of the conditions on their accreditation, which is only until May 2020 and reflect serious concerns about their long-term viability).

Comment

https://twitter.com/wheelingu54/stat...674661383?s=21

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X