Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NDCfan View Post
    I heard several key players left with the coaches. They also barely got any recruits. Sounds like it may be a rough year for them.
    NDCfan I am not sure if several keys players with playing eligibility left moved on to Southern Utah with Coach Fitz. But according to Southern Utah's roster ( https://suutbirds.com/sports/football/roster ) only DE Zach Strand, who played only 2 games in 2021, is on the Southern Utah roster. Guess we should keep an eye on the roster as we get close to training camp.

Earlier this year, I mentioned on this forum the lack of recruits Frostburg St brought in for 2022 ( https://frostburgsports.com/signingd...l/football/13/ ). However, someone reminded me that Frostburg State had two heavy recruiting classes in 2020 ( https://frostburgsports.com/signingd...ll/football/4/ ) and 2021 ( https://frostburgsports.com/signingd...ll/football/9/ ).

I agree that Frostburg State lost quite a bit of contributing players, but that was to graduation or eligibility, 20 Seniors or Grad student-athletes to be exact according to their 2021 roster ( https://frostburgsports.com/sports/football/roster/2021 ). The young starting QB is back, along with 4 of the starting 5 OLs. Seven starters return on defense. If there is an issue, their offensive skill positions won't have much on-field experience. But I do not see a rough season for Frostburg State. But we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

NDCfan I am not sure if several keys players with playing eligibility left moved on to Southern Utah with Coach Fitz. But according to Southern Utah's roster ( https://suutbirds.com/sports/football/roster ) only DE Zach Strand, who played only 2 games in 2021, is on the Southern Utah roster. Guess we should keep an eye on the roster as we get close to training camp.

Earlier this year, I mentioned on this forum the lack of recruits Frostburg St brought in for 2022 ( https://frostburgsports.com/signingd...l/football/13/ ). However, someone reminded me that Frostburg State had two heavy recruiting classes in 2020 ( https://frostburgsports.com/signingd...ll/football/4/ ) and 2021 ( https://frostburgsports.com/signingd...ll/football/9/ ).

I agree that Frostburg State lost quite a bit of contributing players, but that was to graduation or eligibility, 20 Seniors or Grad student-athletes to be exact according to their 2021 roster ( https://frostburgsports.com/sports/football/roster/2021 ). The young starting QB is back, along with 4 of the starting 5 OLs. Seven starters return on defense. If there is an issue, their offensive skill positions won't have much on-field experience. But I do not see a rough season for Frostburg State. But we shall see.
      One of the things Fitz did at Frostburg was to build a roster that projected into the future. Yes, they lost alot to graduation after last season but the two recruting classes were built in antisipation of this. With two and one full years in the program, these players should be ready to step in and play at a high level. If all play as Fitz projected, Frostburg will probably not skip a beat. But there is a difference in practice and game performance and until they show they can play, you have to have questions. If i had to guess, I'd say there will be a drop in overall team performance but that the drop will be small.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

One of the things Fitz did at Frostburg was to build a roster that projected into the future. Yes, they lost alot to graduation after last season but the two recruting classes were built in antisipation of this. With two and one full years in the program, these players should be ready to step in and play at a high level. If all play as Fitz projected, Frostburg will probably not skip a beat. But there is a difference in practice and game performance and until they show they can play, you have to have questions. If i had to guess, I'd say there will be a drop in overall team performance but that the drop will be small.
        What verifiable true facts do you have that those couple of years of recruiting varied greatly from what he's typically done in the past, or this is simply speculation?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

What verifiable true facts do you have that those couple of years of recruiting varied greatly from what he's typically done in the past, or this is simply speculation?
          I don't think it varies from what he has done in the past. By all accounts Fitz was a very good coach and was good at bring in a steady flow of quality players. As for verifiable true facts I would proffer his .765 winning % at Frostburg, his .806 winning % against DII, and his one losing season (his first) in his 8 years as the head man at Frostburg.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I don't think it varies from what he has done in the past. By all accounts Fitz was a very good coach and was good at bring in a steady flow of quality players. As for verifiable true facts I would proffer his .765 winning % at Frostburg, his .806 winning % against DII, and his one losing season (his first) in his 8 years as the head man at Frostburg.
            Very good indeed. Impressive percentages!
            Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

AIC plays Frostburg state for the first game of the season. What's the scouting report on this team?

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacketalum View Post
                AIC plays Frostburg state for the first game of the season. What's the scouting report on this team?
                It is difficult to provide you a true scouting report since their previous head coach was hired to be the head coach at FCS school Southern Utah. Under the previous coaching staff, Frostburg State was more of a power running team, however most of their productive offensive skill position players has graduated. Frostburg State ran a basic 4-3 defense, with 7 starters returning. Not sure if the current staff will continue to run the same type of offense and/or defense. Frostburg State is now officially a D-II school after going 21-5 during its 3 yr transition from D-III, winning a share of the conference title last season. Not much more I can add since Frostburg State still has not post its fall roster.
                Last edited by ShoNuff; 08-15-2022, 08:06 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

It is difficult to provide you a true scouting report since their previous head coach was hired to be the head coach at FCS school Southern Utah. Under the previous coaching staff, Frostburg State was more of a power running team, however most of their productive offensive skill position players has graduated. Frostburg State ran a basic 4-3 defense, with 7 starters returning. Not sure if the current staff will continue to run the same type of offense and/or defense. Frostburg State is now officially a D-II school after going 21-5 during its 3 yr transition from D-III, winning a share of the conference title last season. Not much more I can add since Frostburg State still has not post its fall roster.
                  This is great info. Thanks.

Comment

It is about a week before Frostburg St's season opener, and they still has not posted their roster. Is this "gamesmanship" or what is the deal?

Comment

FRSU beat NE10 bottom feeder 21-7 and a W is a W, but the next two vs WVSU and @CHAS will be more challenging. One week to iron out the wrinkles. They have a great opportunity since both NDC and CHAS lost. We shall see.

Comment

Ole Frostburg State is still truckin along, winning both games vs West Va St and at Charleston. The Charleston victory was impressive since they won with their back up QB coming into the game and help Frostburg St regain & hold on to the lead.

Comment

Ole Frostburg State is still truckin along, winning both games vs West Va St and at Charleston. The Charleston victory was impressive since they won with their back up QB coming into the game and help Frostburg St regain & hold on to the lead.
                          Today's loss, at home to a surprising GSU team, tended to dull the excitement of last week's big win.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                            Today's loss, at home to a surprising GSU team, tended to dull the excitement of last week's big win.
                            They loss to Concord. Glenville State lost to Wheeling. I'm interested to see going forward to what degree it's a big year for Concord, an off year for Frostburg or what combination of the two.

Comment

Originally posted by ShepAlum View Post

They loss to Concord. Glenville State lost to Wheeling. I'm interested to see going forward to what degree it's a big year for Concord, an off year for Frostburg or what combination of the two.
                              Your absolutely correct, another old brain fart. Actually both games were a bit surprising since I would not have predicted CONCORD at 4-0 and certainly not WU at 3-1. The LIONS may have an inside track to the playoffs since they don't have NDC on their schedule and 2 of 3 challenging games ( CHAS, @WVSU, WU) are in Athens.

Comment

Originally posted by ShepAlum View Post

Frostburg State is currently playing their back up QB, after the starting QB was injured during the 1st half of the Charleston game. I have watched a few of Frostburg State games. I do not think their offense is near last year's production, but their defense is fairly solid. Last week, Frostburg State's offense played bad until late in the 4th quarter when they came back from a 23-9 with less than 7 mins remaining in regulation when they scored a TD on the last play of regulation. Attempting to go for two points, Frostburg State was called for a False Start, forcing them to kick the extra point to tie the game. Unfortunately, the holder muffed the snap and was tackled while attempting to run it in for 2 points.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X