Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

OK...I was wrong...Average driving distance is 40 miles not 30. But it still lends to the question, is a 30 minute difference in driving time really a reason for leaving one conference and choosing another?
    You were close. Just sharing what I have. My GMAC calculations do include Thomas More; their average distance is 224.1 and the longest is 372 to Northwood. Even though TMU is close to the middle of the GMAC their travel is really not better in the GMAC than NDC as an outlier in the MEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

You were close. Just sharing what I have. My GMAC calculations do include Thomas More; their average distance is 224.1 and the longest is 372 to Northwood. Even though TMU is close to the middle of the GMAC their travel is really not better in the GMAC than NDC as an outlier in the MEC.
      Thanks...It had been a couple of years since I looked at the numbers and some of the deck chairs have moved slightly. There are some pretty passionate people here about that have been advocating for a pending move of NDC from the MEC to the GMAC. They have foisted many reasons why this has been a no brainer decision (travel distance, former NAIA rivals, Ohio DII Conference) for NDC but when you truely look at the matter, coupled with NDC's public statements about being happy in the MEC, the real question is WHY would NDC move to the GMAC? Doesn't mean at some point in the future they won't move to the GMAC (there is a long history of schools acting contradictory to their interest), just that logic and common sense says, "What is really the benefit of moving??" Absent a real benefit...Why move??

Comment

While for football (since there is no automatic qualifier for conference champs) it doesn't reall matter, I thought for a conference to "officially" (for NCAA purposes) sponsor a sport they needed eight teams? As I recall, the first couple of years the GMAC said they sponsored football but from an NCAA standpoint, they didn't really.
        I think you might be correct. However, I understood that eight-team threshold was for "Earned Access" purposes. The NCAA, however, did appear to recognize the GNAC as a conference despite having four teams at the time the league ended sponsorship of football after the 2019 season, even when the GNAC only had four remaining teams - Azusa Pacific, Central Washington, Simon Fraser and Western Oregon (Humboldt State, oops, I mean Cal Poly Humboldt, dropped football after the 2018 season; Azusa's last season was 2019, hence the three GNAC schools aligning with the LSC) as the GNAC standings were included in the 2019 record books. It's possible the standards have changed in recent years, there is the precedent in D2 thanks to the GNAC.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I think you might be correct. However, I understood that eight-team threshold was for "Earned Access" purposes. The NCAA, however, did appear to recognize the GNAC as a conference despite having four teams at the time the league ended sponsorship of football after the 2019 season, even when the GNAC only had four remaining teams - Azusa Pacific, Central Washington, Simon Fraser and Western Oregon (Humboldt State, oops, I mean Cal Poly Humboldt, dropped football after the 2018 season; Azusa's last season was 2019, hence the three GNAC schools aligning with the LSC) as the GNAC standings were included in the 2019 record books. It's possible the standards have changed in recent years, there is the precedent in D2 thanks to the GNAC.
          The threshold for earned access is six. Formerly it had to be six core members, which prevented the GNAC from qualifying, but that's no longer the case.

Comment

Well, the NCAA going to do what the NCAA want's to do. There is a difference between "decertifying" recognition for a conference sport and new recognition of a conference sport by the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

The threshold for earned access is six. Formerly it had to be six core members, which prevented the GNAC from qualifying, but that's no longer the case.
              As I said, since football doesb't have EA, it doesn't really matter, but do you have a citation for this in the NCAA By-Laws/Constitution/Other official documents?

Comment

As I said, since football doesb't have EA, it doesn't really matter, but do you have a citation for this in the NCAA By-Laws/Constitution/Other official documents?
                Football is the only sport with earned access.

Comment

It's all on page 338 (page 353 of the PDF) here: https://www.ncaapublications.com/pro...loads/D223.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Football is the only sport with earned access.
                    I typed EA but I ment Automatic Qualification. Dam old age!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                      It's all on page 338 (page 353 of the PDF) here: https://www.ncaapublications.com/pro...loads/D223.pdf
                      So according to 31.3.4.2 sub section (b), CC would not be technically a football sponsoring conference until the 2028 season?

Comment

As I said, since football doesn't have [Automatic Qualifiers], it doesn't really matter, but do you have a citation for this in the NCAA By-Laws/Constitution/Other official documents?
                        I know Inkblot posted the link to the Official NCAA D2 Manual, but for those who don't wanna search through that PDF, here's the text of Bylaw 31.3.5, which specifically covers D2 football (Bylaw 31.3.4.2 which you're referring to covers "National Collegiate Championships" - or single division championships such as water polo and gymnastics) :

31.3.5 Earned Access -- Football. The Division II Football Committee shall award earned access to the NCAA Division II Football Championship to Division II football-playing conferences for which at least one member institution finishes no more than two spots lower than the super region bracket size in the final NCAA Division II football regional ranking. To be awarded earned access, the conference shall have a minimum of six active football-playing members. The earned access shall go to the conference's highest-ranked team in the final regional Top 10 poll.

31.3.5.1 Requirements. To be eligible for earned access to the football championship, a member conference must meet the following general requirements: (Adopted: 10/30/13)

(a) Been a multisport voting member conference of the Association for five consecutive academic years; and (Revised: 7/19/22 effective 7/20/22)

(b) Have at least six active members that sponsor football at the varsity intercollegiate level in which earned access is sought and that are eligible for the NCAA championship, and have had at least six active members that are eligible for the NCAA championship participate in the process that determines possible earned access. Institutions that are affiliate members of a Division II football-playing conference may be used to satisfy the sponsorship requirement for earned access in football.

[Once a conference has satisfied the requirements for earned access set forth in Bylaw 31.3.5.1-(a) and Bylaw 31.3.5.1- (b) the conference must also meet the following criteria:] (Revised: 10/18/16 effective 8/1/17, 7/19/22)

(c) Conference Membership. All institutions may hold membership in only that conference in football in which earned access is sought and may participate in only that conference's process to determine if earned access is provided. (Adopted: 7/19/22)

(d) Conference Compliance Requirement. The conference must maintain and actively enforce compliance with eligibility rules at least as stringent as those in Bylaw 14 applicable to its members. (Adopted: 7/19/22)

(e) Impact of Nullification on Earned Access for Use of Ineligible Player(s). The Championships Committee may impose a penalty on an institution's team for permitting ineligible student-athlete(s) to compete in intercollegiate competition (see Bylaws 31.02.4 and 31.3.3 regarding nullification penalties for permitting an ineligible studentathlete to complete in intercollegiate competition). An institution that receives a nullification penalty may be denied the right to participate in the NCAA championship. (Adopted: 7/19/22)

I would suspect that ConfCar would be eligible for Earned Access in 2025 since they meet the top two requirements of (a) being a multisport voting member of the NCAA for 5 consecutive seasons (ConfCar officially became an NCAA conference in 1993) and (b) having six active members which sponsor football by 2025 with the existing members - Barton, Chowan, Erskine, North Greenville and Pembroke - and new member Shorter.
                        Last edited by ctrabs74; 01-31-2023, 08:57 PM.

Comment

So according to 31.3.4.2 sub section (b), CC would not be technically a football sponsoring conference until the 2028 season?
                          Bylaw 31.3.4.2 covers single division national championships (ie. gymnastics, water polo, women's ice hockey, men's volleyball, etc.).

Comment

Bylaw 31.3.4.2 covers single division national championships (ie. gymnastics, water polo, women's ice hockey, men's volleyball, etc.).
                            I think Section 31 is the Executive Regulations and appears to apply to all sports.

Comment

I think Section 31 is the Executive Regulations and appears to apply to all sports.
                              I was interpreting "National Collegiate Championships" as single division championships involving schools from all three divisions in a single division for that sport. The section I cited specifically pertains to D2 football based on my reading of the bylaws. Here's how "National Collegiate Championships" are defined under Bylaw 18.02.1.1:

18.02.1.1 National Collegiate Championship. A National Collegiate Championship for a particular sport is postseason competition conducted by the Association for eligible student-athletes and teams of active member institutions to determine the NCAA champion in that sport for all divisions that do not have a separate division championship in that sport. A National Collegiate Championship is established or continued in accordance with the criteria set forth in Bylaws 18.2.3 and 18.2.4.

The specific sports which are governed under Bylaw 18.02.1.1 are designated under Bylaw 7.3.2.1:

7.3.2.1 Eligibility for National Collegiate Championships. [#] An active member institution in good standing, regardless of division, is eligible for the National Collegiate Championships, if a division championship in the respective sport is not offered in its division. Such an institution is required to meet only the institutional and individual eligibility requirements of its division that govern the sport in question. Separate championships in each division are not sponsored in the following sports:
                              • Women's beach volleyball
                              • Women's ice hockey
                              • Women's bowling
                              • Men's and women's rifle
                              • Men's and women's fencing
                              • Men's and women's skiing
                              • Men's gymnastics
                              • Men's volleyball
                              • Women's gymnastics
                              • Men's and women's water polo
                              (Adopted: 6/1/22 effective 8/1/22)

This is reiterated in Bylaw 18.3.1.

18.3 Current Championships. The Association currently administers 90 national championships. There are 11 National Collegiate Championships. Additionally, there are 26 Division I championships, 25 Division II championships and 28 Division III championships. (See Bylaw 31.02.2 for information about the classification and terminology of championships and see Bylaw 9.3.10.1 for the voting requirements for the establishment of a new championship.) The current championships are as follows: (Revised: 1/10/90, 1/10/92, 1/9/96, 1/14/02, 1/17/15 effective 8/1/15)

18.3.1 National Collegiate Championships (11). [#] (Revised: 1/10/00, 1/13/03 effective 8/1/03, 1/17/15 effective 8/1/15)

Men (3): Gymnastics, Volleyball (D1/D2) and Water Polo
                              Men and Women (3): Fencing, Rifle and Skiing
                              Women (5): Beach Volleyball, Bowling, Gymnastics, Ice Hockey (D1/D2) and Water Polo

This was the section that was quoted previously, which may have caused the confusion.

31.3.4.2 Requirements -- National Collegiate Championship. [#]

To be eligible for automatic qualification in a National Collegiate Championship, a member conference must meet the following general requirements: (Adopted: 1/9/06)

(a) Have at least six active members that sponsor the applicable sport in any division (Note: A provisional member in the process of becoming an NCAA member may not be used to meet the requisite number);
                              (b) The six active members must have conducted conference competition together for the preceding two years in the applicable sport;
                              (c) There shall be no waivers of the two-year waiting period; and
                              (d) Any new member added to a conference that is eligible for an automatic bid shall be immediately eligible to represent the conference as the automatic qualifier.
                              Last edited by ctrabs74; 01-31-2023, 11:35 PM.

Comment

This is correct. Bylaw 31.3.4.1 is the one that applies to automatic qualification for Division II championships, and 31.3.4.3 is about Earned Access for football. There's no waiting period for existing conferences.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X