Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloom

Looks like Bloom will have a new starting qb this year. Benjamin is not on the roster. He would have been a r-jr, after starting the past 2 years. It is a curious situation, since he lists himself as 2019 graduate after 3 years of school, perhaps a Dec. 2019 graduate. He played in the spring game too. The job should go Leiby, although he is coming off a couple of injuries. He is listed as a r-fr, and must have received a medical redshirt after being injured in the only quarter he played. After him, there is only 1 upperclassman at qb, and a true freshman. Could be a problem with depth there.

If Bloom's OL can hold up the QB job is pretty simple, he won't be asked to carry the team just manage the game as their bread and butter is pounding the ball on the ground and occasionally passing to the TE and WRs. That means the defense must do their job creating turnovers and giving the team many short field opportunities to score because if they get behind early they'll be relying on an inexperienced QB going against their traditional offensive philosophies which would be a disaster. I suspect they'll add another QB to the roster in some sort of walk on tryout situation as they currently only have 3 on the roster and most college teams carry 4-6 QB's

Comment

Bart, is Van Scyoc pushing Leiby at all? I mean, he didn't throw for 4,300 yards in two HS seasons with smoke and mirrors.

And the freshman, Chris Dare, played a high level of QB at Cedar Cliff.
      Last edited by jrshooter; 09-04-2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

There were reports of a competition for the qb spot, but Leiby should have the inside track. The OC played qb at Selinsgrove H.S., Leiby played qb at Selinsgrove H.S., and they have a transfer wr Ricky Cope who was a prime target for Leiby at Selinsgrove H.S. Cope transferred in after redshirting last year at D3 Susquehanna University. He looks to have some speed on video. https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2534310...1ddc22f8a59b44

The HC said they were looking for a qb that could also run, which Bloom had success with qbs Latorre and Kelly. Latorre was the fastest player on the team during his time. Perhaps Van Scyoc fits. They seem to be looking for more than just a game manager at the position.

The offense wants to open up some, perhaps by throwing to rbs out of the backfield. An article stated "New look, same identity for Huskies. They are planning a more diverse, if not entirely new look, offense."

Comment

Leiby confirmed as starting qb. https://www.pahomepage.com/sports/co...r-2019-season/

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
            Bart, is Van Scyoc pushing Leiby at all? I mean, he didn't throw for 4,300 yards in two HS seasons with smoke and mirrors.

And the freshman, Chris Dare, played a high level of QB at Cedar Cliff.
            Leiby threw for 6,700 yards and 66 touchdowns in 2 years at Selinsgrove just so you know

Comment

Originally posted by FootballFan#1 View Post

Leiby threw for 6,700 yards and 66 touchdowns in 2 years at Selinsgrove just so you know
              Man, that kid is good. I checked out some of his HS highlights and was really impressed. Did he not get any D1 interest? It's hard to throw for 6,700 yards against air!

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Man, that kid is good. I checked out some of his HS highlights and was really impressed. Did he not get any D1 interest? It's hard to throw for 6,700 yards against air!
                Was verbally committed to Georgetown before picking bloom and also had an offer to UAlbany I believe. Picked bloom for their Special education program

Comment

Press-Enterprise reports Benjamin suffered a hamstring injury that would put him out of play for 6-8 week, so he decided to hang it up and focus on academics. HC said he is 4.0 student who wants to earn a doctorate. "He's as strong of a student as we've ever had....." It appears he is earning his bachelor's in 3 1/2 years.

HC said secondary is the biggest concern on defense due to lack of experience. I am more concerned with linebackers where there are only 6 upperclassmen with an average height of 6-0 and weight of about 209 pounds. It seems light when trying to stop a running game.

Comment

Interesting to note that the QB situation was not at all mentioned in Bloomsburg's online pregame story.

I'd be curious to know if he'd turn to Van Scyoc or burn Dare's redshirt if Leiby were lost for any length. In response to Bart's comment about running QBs, that probably would not be Van Scyoc's strong suit. He was very much a pocket passer, even in high school.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                      Interesting to note that the QB situation was not at all mentioned in Bloomsburg's online pregame story.

I'd be curious to know if he'd turn to Van Scyoc or burn Dare's redshirt if Leiby were lost for any length. In response to Bart's comment about running QBs, that probably would not be Van Scyoc's strong suit. He was very much a pocket passer, even in high school.
                      Newspaper articles did mention the coach's concern with the lack of depth at qb with the absence of Benjamin. It probably would have been a difficult decision to bench a 2 year starter. There are 4 other players who were recruited as qbs and now play other positions. Hopefully injuries don't cause that kind of desperation.

Comment

It's always sunny in #HuskyNation

Comment

My thought is WTF happened? Did the Leiby fellow play?

Comment

Stonehill came out firing on all cylinders right from the get go. Lack of experience in the secondary hurt as Stonehill's receivers were open all day. Bloom's wr's had trouble getting separation all day. Run game just not was it used to be. Leiby's still young and will get better in time.

Side note: as i was leaving the stadium my brother and I talked to the mother of a Stonehill player. One of their players hung himself before last season. A huge cloud hung over them most of last season. So winning this opener was real important to them. There was a real good crowd for Stonehill and their sideline was very energetic the whole game.

Not a good start the the season for sure, but Bloom's only expected to finish around 5th in the division. I would hope we can get a winning season but that's real iffy.
                            GO HUSKIES!

Comment

Its official. The Huskies suck. Hard to believe that a program that was so prominent for many years has gone from a top 5 D2 program in the country to an average team in the PSAC East. Stop making excuses.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X