Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP - Update to the Memorial Fieldhouse

From IUP Athletic Department:

The IUP Athletic Department officially opened its renovated indoor practice space inside the Memorial Field House this week.

"This renovated indoor practice space is another step in the right direction for the future of IUP Athletics," said IUP Director of Athletics Todd Garzarelli. "After the fueling station, this was the next logical step in creating a first-class experience for our student-athletes.

"This turf facility is a game-changer and will help prepare all of our student-athletes for competitive and personal excellence."

Formerly known as the auxiliary gym, the space was reimagined with an indoor turf playing surface laid down to replace the old rubberized flooring. The facility measures 35 yards long by 25 yards wide with 12-foot high usable wall space.

The nearly 7,900 square feet of turf will be utilized by IUP's indoor and outdoor sports for practices and training sessions.

In coming months, the old basketball hoops will be removed, and the overall look will be upgraded with IUP Athletics-specific branding added to the walls inside the facility.

"The turf in the auxiliary gym is a big upgrade and is very exciting," said IUP head baseball coach Anthony Rebyanski. "It allows our indoor facility to be truer to the game of baseball, while allowing a new and modern look to the space that we utilize throughout the winter months."

"I am really excited to work out on the new turf," said junior women's lacrosse player Kayte Zeiler. "It will be nice to have a more functional space to utilize for small group work without the feel of working out in a basketball gym. The space will be great for the spring outdoor sports who need an indoor facility to work out in during the winter months."

The renovated practice facility is part of an overall redesign of the Memorial Field House by the IUP Athletic Department. Last month a fueling station for student-athletes opened in the lobby of the Field House, adding a nutritional component as well as a new-look entrance for visitors. More changes are slated to come to the interior of the Field House.

Follow
    For up-to-date game information, visit IUPAthletics.com and follow IUP Athletics on Twitter @IUPCrimsonHawk.

Link: https://iupathletics.com/news/2019/1...ice-space.aspx

Saw a lot of this on the recruiting trail for my son as well, especially in the Ivy League. I think it's great! Football is a 24/7/365 season, and the D2 schools are getting with the program!

Comment

Comment

Ground level ... beside the pool.

It was an old basketball court. Not many new it existed.

Comment

George P. Miller Stadium. He was around long before your 1984-1988 IUP sojourn.

What movies did you see in town while an undergrad? A lot of good stuff out then. Did you go to the Indiana Mall Cinema Four? The Regency Mall theater? The one down town?

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

This must be the cryptic gym that a couple of insiders say that Gary Edwards would hold illegal early season practices in before the official start date.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

This must be the cryptic gym that a couple of insiders say that Gary Edwards would hold illegal early season practices in before the official start date.

-
              Plead the Fifth

Comment

What movies did you see in town while an undergrad? A lot of good stuff out then. Did you go to the Indiana Mall Cinema Four? The Regency Mall theater? The one down town?

-
                I spent too much time and money at Back Street Records up near Philadelphia. The only movies I saw were the ones hosted by the frats in the large auditoriums. Quite an education, I might add.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
                  I spent too much time and money at Back Street Records up near Philadelphia. The only movies I saw were the ones hosted by the frats in the large auditoriums. Quite an education, I might add.
                  Backstreet Records I do certainly recall. I still remember going there after football practice in the fall of 1983 and buying Def Leppard's "Pyromania" album. That seemed like a pretty big deal at the time. It was later Bunker One military surplus store. I spent a good deal of money in there as well.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I used the pool back in the day. I never knew it was there.

Comment

-
                      Revenge of The Nerds at The Indiana Mall.

Frank put IUP foosball on the National Map. It should be his name on the stadium.

Comment

Interesting fact, half of the Field House is in Indiana Boro and the other half is in White Township..

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                          Interesting fact, half of the Field House is in Indiana Boro and the other half is in White Township..
                          Which half?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Which half?
                            The home stands are in Indiana and the away stands on the foosball field side are in White Township. Looking at Google Maps the line looks like it halves the court.

The Cig and the KCAC are both in White Township.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

The home stands are in Indiana and the away stands on the foosball field side are in White Township. Looking at Google Maps the line looks like it halves the court.

The Cig and the KCAC are both in White Township.
                              I'm not quite sure why it's not all one municipality.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X