Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slippery Rock gets no Respect

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    IUP has the best chance to redeem SR1 reputation last year but the worst Qb performance in D2 history by Lenny derailed that from happening.
    Unreal! I'm sure that your former girlfriend is much happier with Lenny. :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      Unreal! I'm sure that your former girlfriend is much happier with Lenny. :laugh:
      As Neil Sedaka said ... breaking up is hard to do. Even for Homer.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
        I hate to be cliche but it is true that respect must be earned. If SRU, IUP or other PSAC/SR1 teams get to the national final 4 and win there will be respect. I've had a chance to think on this for awhile and I believe that's how it works.
        This is going to sound strange from a school with a similar problem, but the first issue that holds back SRU from getting the respect they deserve is their name. Having grown up in Western PA, SLIPPERY ROCK has no odd connotations at all sort of like chipped ham. But in NYC, PHILLY or MILWAUKEE were I've lived since, the name always gets a chuckle. I'll be eternally grateful to Dr Armenti for working so hard to promote the CALU name and logo. Force the issue. It's SRU NOT SLIPPERY ROCK.
        Second, as the man said, keep on winning. Believe me, should THE ROCK pull off the long shot and win it all, you will get all the respect any NATIONAL CHAMPION deserves. Will there be naysayers on this board and elsewhere, absolutely ! But that trophy says it all. Competing in a real playoff, not the phony, rigged crap that D1 is selling, you beat all comers and deserve the respect that goes with the title.
        Good luck against NDC, which oddly enough is another college with identity problems.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
          This is going to sound strange from a school with a similar problem, but the first issue that holds back SRU from getting the respect they deserve is their name. Having grown up in Western PA, SLIPPERY ROCK has no odd connotations at all sort of like chipped ham. But in NYC, PHILLY or MILWAUKEE were I've lived since, the name always gets a chuckle. I'll be eternally grateful to Dr Armenti for working so hard to promote the CALU name and logo. Force the issue. It's SRU NOT SLIPPERY ROCK.
          Second, as the man said, keep on winning. Believe me, should THE ROCK pull off the long shot and win it all, you will get all the respect any NATIONAL CHAMPION deserves. Will there be naysayers on this board and elsewhere, absolutely ! But that trophy says it all. Competing in a real playoff, not the phony, rigged crap that D1 is selling, you beat all comers and deserve the respect that goes with the title.
          Good luck against NDC, which oddly enough is another college with identity problems.

Slippery Rock is the most identifiable name in the conference. That is their branding. It's very unique. Nobody would have any idea who 'SRU' is outside of this message board and its students.

Comment

PSAC West yes they did... IUP got hammered this year and they were predicted to be Number 1. So YES they did win the PSAC for their side of the conference. Plus you know I am right... The Rock is often always overlooked or not written about. Especially when they do far better than predicted.

Comment

Originally posted by texwilson47 View Post
              Sorry to sound like a Rodney Dangerfield bit but it is true and everyone knows it. Especially the writers of this website (D2football.com) Look at this season alone. The Rock was predicted 3rd in the PSAC West. Then they Beat California and IUP at their houses, they win the PSAC. Yes they played two sloppy games both of which they could of and should have won. But IUP got beat up by Shippensburg the last game of the season as well. Through out this season and ever season D2Football writes very little about the Rock... seems to refuse to post articles about the Rock wins and have not shown much respect throughout the playoffs (look at their main page right now... a picture of Wes Hills Running but the article is a double post of the Asuza Pacific loss). I remember early on D2F has some IUP folks running the ship and the Rock were in some struggle years but there is no call for this disrespect presently. The only PSAC team in the playoffs... knocked out two NE10 teams - Every Playoff game will be on the road since they are the lowest seed in the region... still nothing. This season is not like the other seasons when it comes to the Rock getting the short end of the stick. So do I expect any change from D2F... nope. Sorry I just don't. The Rock could win the National Championship and there would not be a full write up on how good the team was this year.

That is Ok. The Alumni who speak up for the team, that go to the games that speak to the coaches and players all know that we are family. We are a strong family. From guys like me who played but are not remembered, to the superstars of yesterday and the future superstars yet to come. We Love Rock Football, and we are the Green and White family.
              Won the PSAC?

Get back to gym class you moron.

Comment

Wrong again. Growing up in Texas I knew about the Rock... they gave the scores each week at the University of Texas Football games. SRU played in 1976 against two of my high school coaches from Tomball TX when Texas A&I beat the Rock in a bowl game. I came from Texas to play for the Rock... so it has a name. The branding has NOTHING to do with the lack of respect from D2Football and other publications as it pertains to the success they are having this year and in the past. Slippery Rock is the most notable university in the country because of our affiliation with the various large universities out there UT, Michigan, etc. When publications refuse to write up articles about the Rock's wins (one of the two highest scoring games in the 2nd round). The writer for the NCAA.COM for D2 wrote a better piece on the Rock than what was presented on D2Football.com

Comment

Wrong again. Growing up in Texas I knew about the Rock... they gave the scores each week at the University of Texas Football games. SRU played in 1976 against two of my high school coaches from Tomball TX when Texas A&I beat the Rock in a bowl game. I came from Texas to play for the Rock... so it has a name. The branding has NOTHING to do with the lack of respect from D2Football and other publications as it pertains to the success they are having this year and in the past. Slippery Rock is the most notable university in the country because of our affiliation with the various large universities out there UT, Michigan, etc. When publications refuse to write up articles about the Rock's wins (one of the two highest scoring games in the 2nd round). The writer for the NCAA.COM for D2 wrote a better piece on the Rock than what was presented on D2Football.com

Don't drink the green Kool-Aid in Jonestown.

Comment

This guy is the best!

I wonder if he was the guy who hyped Michael Butterworth a few years back and told us how the Syrup man was a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Comment

The good news D2football.com is always looking for help. You should apply. Pays well.

To my previous post, check out the PSAC part of this page - http://www.d2football.com/coachingvacancies/6/

Comment

PSAC West yes they did... IUP got hammered this year and they were predicted to be Number 1. So YES they did win the PSAC for their side of the conference. Plus you know I am right... The Rock is often always overlooked or not written about. Especially when they do far better than predicted.
                        Bob Eblen did a national piece on Rivers & Hills during the season. Should THE ROCK been ranked in Top 25 probably (before West Chester game), over IUP definitely, but the Regional rankings is what really matters.
                        As far as preseason I think most of the time who is picked No.1 does not win; even when THE ROCK won in 2014 I think they were picked 3 in the West in 2015. Still the only program to win back to back since the State game was restarted!

Next year preseason they will be the choice in the West and will ranked Nationally to begin the season.
                        Last edited by SRU 88; 11-27-2018, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Slippery Rock is the most identifiable name in the conference. That is their branding. It's very unique. Nobody would have any idea who 'SRU' is outside of this message board and its students.
                            You say identifiable, I say, in my experience, laughable to people outside the 412 area. I say this because watching the 2004 WBB national championship game, I remember how frustrating it was that the professional announcers could not for their life get the name CALIFORNIA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA out without stumbling. Flash forward 11 years and there was no issue that the school from Pa was CALU. It helped that the small but vocal VULCAN rooting section made it clear. As I said you have to force the issue. UCLA, USC, FSU, BYU and a lot more didn't start that way but it's who they are now. Do you know who TAMAC, CSUP, NWMSU, GVSU are ? Of course you do because they forced it on the D2 sports world. Give it 5-10 years of officially sanctioned SRU and SLIMEY PEBBLE will be a thing of the past. Except to people on this forum.

Comment

Once again, in my experience, those scores were announced not because they believed anyone cared, but because it added a funny footnote at the end of the broadcast. If they were seriously talking football prowess they would have been reporting the scores from the GLIAC, CIAA or GSC. If you think all publicity is good publicity, this thread wouldn't have been started

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                                Once again, in my experience, those scores were announced not because they believed anyone cared, but because it added a funny footnote at the end of the broadcast. If they were seriously talking football prowess they would have been reporting the scores from the GLIAC, CIAA or GSC. If you think all publicity is good publicity, this thread wouldn't have been started
                                THE ROCK's new president did his grad work at Michigan; when THE ROCK score is announced at the Big House there is either a big cheer or a big aww depending on the result.

Apparently you are old enough to remember Dave Dials announce the ROCK score at the end of the College Scoreboard show; if it were just for fun; I would think is would only happen once in a while; not every week like it was; but maybe there was a ROCK alum in production or something.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X