Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Question

During the Shepherd @ IUP game, I noticed that IUP's QB was wearing a hoodie under his jersey. I have seen that before, but it got me thinking. If someone would have pulled him down by the hood, would it have been considered a horse collar. On one hand, it could be a potentially hazardous play. On the other hand, that hoodie is optional and not really part of the uniform. Does anyone know the answer?

the areaoutside known at first

Comment

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
      the areaoutside known at first
      I get that. It is just odd to penalize a player for grabbing something that isn't part of the uniform. I know that it is a very different situation, but I once saw a player in the NFL pulled down by his dreadlocks, and it was not a penalty due to that. It's just something that I have wondered about from time to time.

Comment

Last edited by IUPMonk; 11-24-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
          The only explanation i can come up with is that clothing is considered part of the "equipment" or "uniform". Hair is not considered part of the uniform or equipment. Since the intent is to avoid being yanked down from behind at the shoulder level which is viewed as a dangerous tackle, a reasonable person would think that being yanked down from behind by the hair would also be penalty. Or the rule makers view hair as a "choice", in which case the hoodie hood would also be a "choice" and not part of the required equipment and uniform. If so, the hoodie hood is fair game, just like hair. I guess we won't know until it happens and the refs have to figure it out.
          I have never actually seen it happen, but I want to see it once, just to find out the answer. Also, I hope there are no injuries if it does happen.

Comment

I think it should be allowed to pull the player down by the hoodie.

Comment

Check this out from the NFL rules: ARTICLE 6. OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT

Among the types of optional equipment that are permitted to be worn by players are the following:

Item 1. Garments Under Jerseys. Quarterbacks will be allowed to wear under the game jersey a solid colored T-shirt, turtleneck, or sweatshirt (consistent with team undergarment color) with sleeves cut to any length, as long as both sleeves are evenly trimmed and the edges are sewn and hemmed. All other players may wear garments under game jerseys only if the undergarment sleeves either (a) are full length to the wrist; or (b) are the half sleeve length as provided by the licensee each of which must be approved by the NFL. Players may not wear long-sleeved undergarments that include pebble-grip sleeves. Any garments under jerseys that are exposed at the neck or sleeve area and that carry an exposed logo or commercial name/identification must be licensed and approved by the League office for wear on the field. Undergarments must be tucked in and not hanging out from the bottom of the jersey. All members of the same team who wear approved undergarments with exposed necks or sleeves must wear the same color on a given day, which color must be white or a solid color that is an official team color (solid means that sleeves must not carry stripes, designs, or team names). Players may not wear undergarments with an exposed hood hanging outside the collar of the jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

I have never actually seen it happen, but I want to see it once, just to find out the answer. Also, I hope there are no injuries if it does happen.
                I'm surprised it's even legal in the NCAA to wear a hoodie. The 2016 Wisconsin team had several DBs wear them thru the season. They even wore them for the conference title game in Indy(in the dome).

Green Bay Packers WR James Jones started wearing one in 2015, prompting the NFL to ban them in 2016. Before they were banned in the NFL, Mike Pereira explained it wouldn't be a horse collar tackle if a player is yanked down by his hoodie.

https://twitter.com/i/status/668581687958200320

Comment

I recall while a sophomore in high school football a fellow classmate of mine was in at DT and the opposing QB was wearing a hooded sweatshirt with the hood sticking out the back. My buddy grabbed him by it and brought him down. No penalty at all but the QB was all pissed off over it. Well, if you don't want to be tackled like that then don't be stupid enough to wear something extra for defenders to grab. I'm surprised the IUP coaches would permit Maxwell to wear that hoodie to be honest. I was a bit shocked to see him wearing that and having it hang out like that.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X