X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WarriorVoice
    replied
    Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

Yes I am aware that they raise more too. FightingScott did a nice job of giving an explanation. My curiosity is how the west breaks up their money compared to the east. For instance if IUP has 30 scholarships, and ESU has 15, will IUP give their top 10 recruits most of the money, or break it up more evenly with all their recruits. So if John Doe was choosing between both schools, is IUPs average for a freshmen $8,000 vs ESU's $5,000?

That was my curiosity. Although it can vary depending on how bad a school wants a player.

I seriously doubt the scale works that way...Think about it. Is a university going to give an incoming freshman more money than a senior? Everything I've been told leads me to believe that you get more scholly $ as you progress through the program.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    We don't know for certain that they actually increased scholarship numbers. Unless there's a major donor (and in Clarion's case it would be an individual rather than corporate), I'm guessing they did one of the following:
    - Redistributed existing men's scholarship dollars to prioritize football similar to what Cal and IUP have done
    - Redistributed existing fee waivers like housing or meal plans to prioritize football
    - Strategically recruited players who after combining Pell and PHEAA grants plus academic scholarships the athletic aid significantly reduced their cost of attendance

PASSHE did increase the cap on what schools could budget for scholarship dollars via discounting (how 99% of scholarships at private schools are created). I believe this is where Kutztown's recent announcement of an additional $2 million in scholarships came from. Plus PASSHE also allowed schools to set different tuition amounts as they see fit. Can't go below a system-wide "base" but they can now do what Ohio and WV have been doing - reducing out of state tuition for certain populations.

Of course, the also-rans like Clarion and Edinboro can sometimes get guys for less money by with sooner playing time. The smaller division guys who play both ways each week jump at that.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Yes I am aware that they raise more too. FightingScott did a nice job of giving an explanation. My curiosity is how the west breaks up their money compared to the east. For instance if IUP has 30 scholarships, and ESU has 15, will IUP give their top 10 recruits most of the money, or break it up more evenly with all their recruits. So if John Doe was choosing between both schools, is IUPs average for a freshmen $8,000 vs ESU's $5,000?

That was my curiosity. Although it can vary depending on how bad a school wants a player.
    Only speaking for IUP ... all players are not created (or paid) equally.

I know with high school recruits the staff comes up with a market value for each player. And, that's what they offer. Take it or leave it. In the past they would get in to bidding wars. That's no longer the case with high school players. They got a few kids this year -- the two from Thomas Jefferson, in particular -- that I'm guessing required pretty large cuts. If freshmen perform their 'cut' increases as the years go by.

The transfer world is treated differently. If you want a Max Redfield or Quinton Maxwell ... they are 'full ride' guys -- or you have no chance of landing them. But, they are proven commodities and their market value is much different than the typical 'maybe' high school player.

Your topic is a very interesting dynamic on the basketball side of things -- it is why Joe Lombardi routinely has a star-studded team (when healthy). But, when the injuries mount to all his 'full ride' guys ... chaos can follow.

Leave a comment:

• ESU Warrior
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I was being sarcastic. They have more because they raise more. There's no rule saying the West gets more money than the East. They just do a better job of raising the money.

If the East schools want more money ... go get it. Find some whales. Get some big corporate money. It's not easy and takes some work ... but it obviously can be done.

Frank Cignetti did it so well the league had to implement a rule. Money does all the talking at this level. As I always say, D2 athletics has a worse disparity from top to bottom than MLB.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

I don't say this as sarcasm but where is the coin coming from? As a whole I was under the impression Clarion was in pretty bad shape.
    That was my thought, as well. A quick google search yielded the article (or abstract of an article) below but it is from 2014.

https://www.questia.com/read/1P2-381...l-hopes-grants

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Malen Luke must be sorry he ever left!!!
    Wow ... haven't heard that name in a long time.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied
    Originally posted by CUlater View Post
    Clarion posted a total of 34 yesterday, with a few more trickling in today. Not sure if it made the board or not but the administration announced a major initiative last fall to increase funding to the athletic department. That announcement came on the heels of the push to update athletic facilities and the completion of the 43M renovation of the athletic department facilities and gymnasium. The program pushed scholarship equivalencies for football from 8-10 to the mid to upper teens affective immediately and available for the 2020 recruiting class. The increase will continue over the next 3-5 years and beyond (at least that's the plan). This is a huge swing for football operations and the impact is obvious with their class. I think I counted 9 or 10 transfers in the class and some serious talent. guys that will make an immediate impact and help to build something that has been a thorn in their side for quite some time....depth. excited to see the product they put on the field in the fall with the talent they have returning and the new crop they just brought in...should be interesting.
    Malen Luke must be sorry he ever left!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Why? I don't know the answer to that, but when you look at the comparison of the scholarship dollars between the west schools vs the east, the west schools mainly have more scholarship money. Granted Gannon and Mercy being private schools, you can still throw them out and see that there is a big difference.
    I was being sarcastic. They have more because they raise more. There's no rule saying the West gets more money than the East. They just do a better job of raising the money.

If the East schools want more money ... go get it. Find some whales. Get some big corporate money. It's not easy and takes some work ... but it obviously can be done.

Frank Cignetti did it so well the league had to implement a rule. Money does all the talking at this level. As I always say, D2 athletics has a worse disparity from top to bottom than MLB.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
    Updated Shepherd Rams Signed Commit List via Twitter:

Ryan Beach 5'5" 150 lbs WR Northwest HS Germantown, MD
    TJ Spain WR 6'2 205 lbs from Millbrook HS in Winchester, VA.
    Jack Rosnage DE/DT Huntington, MD 6'2" 215 lbs
    Mike Forbes II DE Washington, DC Friendship Heights 6'3" 240 lbs
    Wyatt Pellicano OL Archbishop Spalding 6'2" 300 lbs
    Mason Newton DE/TE Urbana HS Frederick, MD 6'4" 220 lbs
    Matt Bednarski DL Martinsburg HS Martinsburg, WV 6'2" 250 lbs
    Curtis Jefferson OL Woodrow Wilson HS Washington, DC 6'2" 285 lbs
    Michaelangelo Collins DL Parkside HS Sailsbury, MD 6'1" 280 lbs
    Kevin Couser LB Baltimore City HS Baltimore, MD 6'1'' 225 lbs
    Tyler Booker OL New Town HS Owings Mills, MD 6'0'' 270 lbs
    Malakai Brown ATH Martinsburg HS Martinsburg, WV 5'11'' 195 lbs
    Dimario Brooks WR James Monroe HS Fredericksburg, VA 5'11" 165 lbs
    Dustin Keith DL Linganore HS Frederick, MD 6'2" 250 lbs
    Ty Lucas OL Martinsburg HS Martinsburg, WV 6'3" 315 lbs
    Steven Williams DL Quince Orchard HS Gaithersburg, MD 6'3" 320 lbs
    James Bell OL Manchester HS Midlothian, VA 6'1" 250 lbs

Full list as of this morning via Shepherd Twitter.

Leave a comment:

• ESU Warrior
    replied

Why do they have more?
    Why? I don't know the answer to that, but when you look at the comparison of the scholarship dollars between the west schools vs the east, the west schools mainly have more scholarship money. Granted Gannon and Mercy being private schools, you can still throw them out and see that there is a big difference.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I don't believe that PASSHE rule changed so I'd have to see where the money is coming from. The dollar amount could be coming from fee waivers like housing or meal plans.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Not a problem, saw that one coming, but please answer the question if you know. Thanks..
    FS82 can answer it the best. He knows this stuff better than anybody else.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

Or, at Cal, at the expense of the Science and English departments?

Lol

Couldn't pass it up. Sorry.
    Not a problem, saw that one coming, but please answer the question if you know. Thanks..

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    I'm a bit confused. It was my understanding that university funds were not allowed to be used for athletic scholarships. Aren't scholarships supposed to be funded through specific donations/endowments not operating resources ? Let me know.
    Or, at Cal, at the expense of the Science and English departments?

Lol

Couldn't pass it up. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by CUlater View Post
    The program pushed scholarship equivalencies for football from 8-10 to the mid to upper teens affective immediately and available for the 2020 recruiting class. The increase will continue over the next 3-5 years and beyond (at least that's the plan).
    I'm a bit confused. It was my understanding that university funds were not allowed to be used for athletic scholarships. Aren't scholarships supposed to be funded through specific donations/endowments not operating resources ? Let me know.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X