X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
    Has IUP learned NOTHING over the past 10 years?! That open week could bite you again...
    Their theory is they play road games at Kutztown, Shepherd and Cal ... and host SRU. The SOS won't be an issue. The year it bit them their crossover was really weak.

Tort also refused to take a road game in Week 1 ... and, not many want to come here in non-conference to take a beating.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied
    Has IUP learned NOTHING over the past 10 years?! That open week could bite you again...

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    It is. Here in Texas the state is opening up Friday. Once you let the cat out of the bag I think the people will lose all discipline. Not all, but many. Of course, last week the stable genius Lieutenant Governor said " there are more important things than living" as justification for opening up. I think we're in deep trouble. The only difference between now and when it started is that the health system can handle more cases.
    I sense sarcasm. There was a guy a few years ago who said something like "give me liberty or give me death". You can look it up.

Which leads to
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I'm not in PA so maybe I don't see it but what is it that Tom Wolf has done to warrant all the criticism?
    The governor in Pennsylvania ordered "non-essential" businesses to close. That excluded beer distributors (okay, I know some of you would argue that they're essential) and Wolf Home Products (no, the name is not a coincidence), makers of kitchen cabinets. In the age of social distancing, golf courses, often designated as open spaces, were ordered closed whereas densely populated public transportation continued to run.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueJay View Post

I wonder just how "fit' the illustrious mayor Of Las VEgas is?? Gotta wonder!!
    She isn't "fit." She proved that in her CNN interview.

I lived in Vegas between '05 and '08. Her husband, Oscar Goodman, was the mayor then. He was so successful and well-liked that his wife became Mayor after him.. The Goodman's have been the Mayor since 1999. Oscar was famous for being flanked by two showgirls whenever he made an announcement or held a meeting. At one point it became an issue, because the showgirl gigs were at the public expense and it added up to a lot of money. The verdict to that was that it represented the City of Las Vegas so appropriately that it was worth the expense.

The fact is if you want a disease to spread throughout the United States as quickly as possible, start it in Vegas. Luckily, the Strip workers (represented by their unions) rejected her ideas in no uncertain terms.

BTW, the Goodman's have strong ties to Philadelphia. Of course, Oscar Goodman is known as being the lawyer to the mob. He is a Philadelphian. His wife is a native New Yorker; however, they met when she was a student at Bryn Mawr and he was a student at Haverford College.

You can file this under "for people who want to know."

Leave a comment:

• BlueJay
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, the states choosing to re-open may be re-closing shortly thereafter. Of course, the Las Vegas mayor says she's all for survival of the fittest. Who knows. In these odd times perhaps each league just plays its own season with no national playoffs, etc. But, without a cure or vaccine, it really just seems like a pipe dream.
    I wonder just how "fit' the illustrious mayor Of Las VEgas is?? Gotta wonder!!

Leave a comment:

• BlueJay
    replied
    Possibly. The rest of the country would not go along with this plan, however. And what about Div II NCAA championship playoffs?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueJay View Post

In some areas football could be played simultaneously with b-ball, but in the Northeast, the Great Plains, and upper Midwest that would be dicey!
    If they'd go with a spring schedule you could have Week 1 in early March. Training camp in late Jan or early February outside would be a treat. As of now, I just cannot see any possible way they play on schedule in the Fall. It would be an athletic department nightmare with essentially every sport playing at the same time. They'd have to bulk up their staffs to handle it.

Leave a comment:

• BlueJay
    replied

If I was betting ... best odds of a football season would probably be in the second semester. There's certainly a chance football and basketball could run simultaneously -- along with the rest of the non-revenue sports.
    In some areas football could be played simultaneously with b-ball, but in the Northeast, the Great Plains, and upper Midwest that would be dicey!

Leave a comment:

• BlueJay
    replied
    I continue to be negatively amazed by the immoral, cavalier attitude of those who would say: "There are more important things than living." I wonder if the LG would make that statement if he were to lose a child, a spouse,a grandchild, a parent, or anyone near and dear to him. It seems to be evident that here is the problem, The LG ostensibly holds nobody "near and dear'!! Speaking for myself, my weightiest fear is losing someone near and dear such as a child or grandchild, who has their entire life ahead of them.
    Last edited by BlueJay; 04-29-2020, 07:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Well, the states choosing to re-open may be re-closing shortly thereafter. Of course, the Las Vegas mayor says she's all for survival of the fittest. Who knows. In these odd times perhaps each league just plays its own season with no national playoffs, etc. But, without a cure or vaccine, it really just seems like a pipe dream.
    It is. Here in Texas the state is opening up Friday. Once you let the cat out of the bag I think the people will lose all discipline. Not all, but many. Of course, last week the stable genius Lieutenant Governor said " there are more important things than living" as justification for opening up. I think we're in deep trouble. The only difference between now and when it started is that the health system can handle more cases.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

Unfortunately some of the deciders seem to have something in their pipes that tends to skew reality !?! As far as LV is concerned, I'd prefer that those who go to VEGAS STAY IN VEGAS !!!

Leave a comment:

• Sec10-A-14
    replied
    Wow!... Just think a year round college FB season. I love it

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Biggest apparent obstacle is going to be schools in states like Texas and Florida that are opening and probably will be very anxious to restart high school and college sports which are big revenue streams in many of their small towns. How does that work versus states like Pa, Ohio, Michigan or Mass. which may want to wait ? Especially with regards to playoffs. It's going to be a battle.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

If I was betting ... best odds of a football season would probably be in the second semester. There's certainly a chance football and basketball could run simultaneously -- along with the rest of the non-revenue sports.
    Biggest apparent obstacle is going to be schools in states like Texas and Florida that are opening and probably will be very anxious to restart high school and college sports which are big revenue streams in many of their small towns. How does that work versus states like Pa, Ohio, Michigan or Mass. which may want to wait ? Especially with regards to playoffs. It's going to be a battle.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, Ship was certainly not close to playoff caliber last season. And the lack of spring practice isn't going to make it easy to rebuild for anyone, assuming they even have a season.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X