Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: King Kong Bundy

Another somber thread ... King Kong Bundy has passed away at age 61.

Comment

Re: OT: King Kong Bundy

I really liked him as a wrestling 'entertainer' in that era. He played the 'bad guy' character superbly. I thought Vince gave him a raw deal after 'Mania 2. When they had him 'splash' Little Beaver in 'Mania 3 that was kind of his jump-the-shark moment.

The Walking Condominium.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        I really liked him as a wrestling 'entertainer' in that era. He played the 'bad guy' character superbly. I thought Vince gave him a raw deal after 'Mania 2. When they had him 'splash' Little Beaver in 'Mania 3 that was kind of his jump-the-shark moment.

The Walking Condominium.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing when I found out this morning. Too many of these guys are passing at an early age. I heard stories of their lives behind the scenes, and it isn't to shocking when you hear about the drugs a lot of these guys did.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
            I was thinking the same thing when I found out this morning. Too many of these guys are passing at an early age. I heard stories of their lives behind the scenes, and it isn't to shocking when you hear about the drugs a lot of these guys did.
            I was probably 6 or 7 the night Bundy jumped Hogan on Saturday Night's Main Event and broke his ribs, etc., -- setting up the story line for WM2. Of course, I thought it was all real at the time. When WWF was really rolling there in the 80s nothing was bigger than that Saturday night show. I still pull them up on YouTube from time to time. Those guys were legit rock stars in the 80s.

I saw Bundy fight Hogan in I guess what they call a studio show at the Civic Arena shortly after WM2. Craziest crowd I've ever seen at a 'sporting' event to this day. The place was insane.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

Comment

Painkillers, you are correct. I know a few where also big into the cocaine (Hot Rod).

If you like to read, I suggest picking up some of their autobiographies. All of the wrestlers that I have read about talk about the rampant use of the pain-pills and cocaine. That is how I know about Hot Rod. Ric Flair tells a story in his autobigraphy that Hot Rod accompanied him to a match in the Caribbean, or in South America, and he turned down cash for his visit. He wanted to be paid in cocaine. Crazy when you think about it.

They even talk about how Vince had in his Dr. at each show basically injecting the wrestlers with steroids. Some surreal stuff that would never fly today.

Comment

The most entertaining part of Pro Wrestling is now watching youtube of all the real stories from behind the scenes. The drug use was rampant and the backstabbing of each other is unbelievable. The best is the stories on the Iron Sheik.

I agree with others, I thought Bundy was at least in his mid 70's.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X