Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESU adding to women's sports

They announced women's wrestling last year and now acrobatics and tumbling.

https://esuwarriors.com/news/2019/3/...x?path=general

Re: ESU adding to women's sports

I've heard rumors they are planning to hire a defensive coordinator this year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
      I've heard rumors they are planning to hire a defensive coordinator this year as well.

Comment

Unless the DC is leaving of his own decision

Comment

Adding women's sports helps with male sports funding as well. Bring on the women's sports!

Comment

Originally posted by RockNation View Post
            Adding women's sports helps with male sports funding as well. Bring on the women's sports!
            Women's wrestling could be the next PSAC sport. Gannon and ESU have it and I think it would be a great addition for Bloom, given their funding situation. Lock Haven had it for about 10 years before it started to gain traction and was NCAA-sanctioned. LHU could restart it and others could follow.

New Jersey just added women's(girl's) wrestling as an interscholastic sport so I think ESU will look to benefit from that.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
              Women's wrestling could be the next PSAC sport. Gannon and ESU have it and I think it would be a great addition for Bloom, given their funding situation. Lock Haven had it for about 10 years before it started to gain traction and was NCAA-sanctioned. LHU could restart it and others could follow.

New Jersey just added women's(girl's) wrestling as an interscholastic sport so I think ESU will look to benefit from that.
              I have to be honest, I'm surprised at how its taking off at the high school level. But the schools have to reconfigure to how this new generation operates. The challenge for a "young" sport is the travel costs for teams. I see it for students starting club sports teams - they're always driving 5+ hours each way for weekend tournaments because so few club teams exist at colleges in the region.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                I have to be honest, I'm surprised at how its taking off at the high school level.
                I am, too. I think it's in about 16 states now. Ironically, given the wrestling tradition in PA, PA is not one of them. Let's be honest. Given our predispositions toward gender in our society, 30 years ago you never would have thought of women wrestling. However, it turns out females wrestle really well! The first time I saw it live was at the U.S. Freestyle Open in Las Vegas about 10 years ago. Incredible athletes at that level.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X