Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grambling player shot-brother killed in New Orleans

Senseless gun violence in New Orleans. Half of the news stories on D2football.com about African-American college players getting shot. What's going on?

What can be done about it?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartanntp

Re: Grambling player shot-brother killed in New Orleans

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Provide real opportunity to them other than the streets. Too many low income people see no hope in legitimate means. So they see the local drug dealer as a role model because they flash money. Notice how i state they flash it, not have it. So many kids in these neighborhoods look up to the wrong role models, so when they grow up they follow in line. The few that have opportunity to escape still visit the neighborhoods and sometimes get caught in the middle of stuff. The way to eliminate all of this, is to start finding better opportunity than is currently available. For all the money spent on poverty all we have is more poverty to show for it. If they would have spent it on infrastructure with incentives to the companies to hire and train and employ low income adults, the problem would be better and we wouldn't have crumbling infrastructure either. But it is easier to ignore the problem and blame guns, because that is where the votes and bribes are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
      Provide real opportunity to them other than the streets. Too many low income people see no hope in legitimate means. So they see the local drug dealer as a role model because they flash money. Notice how i state they flash it, not have it. So many kids in these neighborhoods look up to the wrong role models, so when they grow up they follow in line. The few that have opportunity to escape still visit the neighborhoods and sometimes get caught in the middle of stuff. The way to eliminate all of this, is to start finding better opportunity than is currently available. For all the money spent on poverty all we have is more poverty to show for it. If they would have spent it on infrastructure with incentives to the companies to hire and train and employ low income adults, the problem would be better and we wouldn't have crumbling infrastructure either. But it is easier to ignore the problem and blame guns, because that is where the votes and bribes are.
      And it is a different problem from these school/place of worship/ employment setting shootings.

Comment

Dude ... not all black people live in the ghetto or on the 'streets' -- nor did that article imply it.

That basketball court could have been at a country club for all we know.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Dude ... not all black people live in the ghetto or on the 'streets' -- nor did that article imply it.

I think you have missed the point.

Comment

I think you have missed the point.
            The second post in this thread made some huge assumptions regarding the original post.

Comment

Honestly, if people could figure it out someone would be screaming it from the mountain tops.

Part of it is the lack of unskilled and low-skilled job opportunities for Americans, particularly African Americans because they're disproportionately living in areas without unskilled jobs. Without a massive federal program similar to the New Deal the haves and have nots will be moving further apart. People who work full time are much less likely to commit crimes regardless of demographic. I'm all for a crazy national jobs program to construct and rebuild infrastructure.

The other part is the gun issue. I'm pro-gun and I own a gun. Its for fun not for sport or security. But those aren't the problems. Legal possession isn't the problem, illegal possession is the problem. I believe that punishment should deter crime but that conflicts with my attitude that too many people are incarcerated. So I dunno :confused:

BUT...contrary to what some might lead us to believe, crime is at a historic low. The perception of increased crime is likely due to an effort to cover crime in the news.

Comment

The question was "what can be done about it?" I assumed that meant the broad gun violence issue and i addressed that. I was not addressing this particular event I was talking about the problem as a whole. Most of these events happen in ghettos on the street. I stated the issue there.

Comment

And it is a different problem from these school/place of worship/ employment setting shootings.
                  yes those problems are mental illness issues. It is not normal behavior to want to kill people in mass. Practically every person who committed those autocracies, have had known mental issues.

Editing to add that it is not normal behavior to want to kill anyone. But doing it at the street level over drugs, as stated in the Godfather movies, is just business to people in that world. Most of us have better circumstances so we don't understand that world. For us to kill someone it is either by accident or if intentional, we had to be provoked where we felt life was at stake. But to have a desire to kill en mass, that is straight bat **** crazy thinking/behavior.
                  Last edited by Mikefln; 06-20-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

The second post in this thread made some huge assumptions regarding the original post.
                    Or I can actually read what the question asked to the board which was : "What can be done about it?" To me I read that as the macro problem of gun violence in this country. Most gun violence in this country stems from the drug trade at the street gang level.

Go into Chicago with my solution and I bet it cleans up better then the typical BS politicians throw out there.

Comment

Or I can actually read what the question asked to the board which was : "What can be done about it?" To me I read that as the macro problem of gun violence in this country. Most gun violence in this country stems from the drug trade at the street gang level.

Go into Chicago with my solution and I bet it cleans up better then the typical BS politicians throw out there.
                      Yeah, I thought it was a great answer. And has been pointed out I think any ideas would be welcome.

Comment

Senseless gun violence in New Orleans. Half of the news stories on D2football.com about African-American college players getting shot. What's going on?

Are we assuming because these are black athletes they are low income?

I can actually read, too, and that just comes off as very racist.

The story didn't say a thing about these kids' backgrounds. Just because black athletes get shot doesn't mean it's in the ghetto.
                        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 06-20-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                          Honestly, if people could figure it out someone would be screaming it from the mountain tops.
                          I think it can be figured out, but the work is too hard and no one has the will to move forward with it. Also too much money in the current system for both sides for real change.

Part of it is the lack of unskilled and low-skilled job opportunities for Americans, particularly African Americans because they're disproportionately living in areas without unskilled jobs. Without a massive federal program similar to the New Deal the haves and have nots will be moving further apart. People who work full time are much less likely to commit crimes regardless of demographic. I'm all for a crazy national jobs program to construct and rebuild infrastructure.
                          Exactly. Thank you. Not that the New Deal didn't have issues, because many think that it prolonged the depression, but I would rather see that then the current status quo.

The other part is the gun issue. I'm pro-gun and I own a gun. Its for fun not for sport or security. But those aren't the problems. Legal possession isn't the problem, illegal possession is the problem. I believe that punishment should deter crime but that conflicts with my attitude that too many people are incarcerated. So I dunno :confused:
                          Outside of the Bernie Madoff's of the world who destroyed many peoples lives, all other non violent offenders should be on house arrest. I am a big believer in punishment to the full extent of the law and no plead deals for violent offenders. I hate the idea of letting the small fish go to catch the big fish. The small fish are the ones causing the problems by doing the action. They are the ones on the streets exposing themselves and making mistakes that get caught. Arrest them, when the next small fish pops up and makes a mistake arrest them. Eventually all the small fish will be off the street and the medium and big fish will either need to take to the street themselves where they could be caught or they retire. Plus you stop the small fish from becoming a big fish. instead we continue with the same BS that isn't working.

BUT...contrary to what some might lead us to believe, crime is at a historic low. The perception of increased crime is likely due to an effort to cover crime in the news.
                          Agree again.

Comment

Are we assuming because these are black athletes they are low income?

I can actually read, too, and that just comes off as very racist.

The story didn't say a thing about these kids' backgrounds. Just because black athletes get shot doesn't mean it's in the ghetto.
                            I stated that the way I read the question was not in reference to stopping that individual event to the Grambling player, (Micro). The way I read the question, it was how to solve the gun violence issue in America (Macro). I am still fairly certain that is what the OP was asking the board. The OP even responded that he felt I gave a great answer, so again I think I answered it accordingly to what was being asked as in the Macro not the micro of this case. There is gun violence everywhere in the USA from all demographics, but it is not racist to state that the biggest % of gun violence comes from inner city street gangs in the drug trade.

If anything I can turn this on you because I phrased it as low income people (did not single out any group), because that is where most violent crime happens rather it be in white, black, Asian, Hispanic, neighborhoods. You are the one who referenced what I was saying to mean black people.

Comment

The majority of deaths by guns are suicides, not mass shootings or gang/drug dealing violence.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...icides/578812/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X